1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need help with choice of Laptop

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CJLarson, Aug 8, 2010.

1. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Starting school soon, and my Dad wants to buy me a laptop for my B-Day. Don't really need anything too fancy as I will not be doing any gaming or anything of that sort. I just need it for web browsing, and using Microsoft Office. Any cool extras would be great too lol. Good keyboard is needed as well.

Any recommendations? Looking to get my money's worth.

Thanks.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Price range?

3. echu888

echu888 Member

HP Envy 14 is looking pretty good. Well priced for a premium laptop. Has a good keyboard.

But for surfing the web and doing documents, you can use just about anything.

4. vstexas09

vstexas09 Member

If you can spend money, I would recommend the MB Pro. I got it 2wks ago, and I LOVE it. Are you starting college, grad school, or high school soon?

5. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Nothing above $750.

6. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Starting college soon, looking to get money's worth. Well, it's my Dad buying, but still lol.

7. Garner

Garner Member

For what it is worth, I have been using my same MacBook for the past 5 years. With AppleCare, my time with this product has been very enjoyable.

Warning to College students: many professors are going to use their own programs for assignments; when that becomes the case, your Mac will not be compatible and you will find yourself borrowing a roommate's Windows or heading up to the library.

8. echu888

echu888 Member

If you use a Mac, VMWare/Parallels, or Bootcamp are potential answers to this. I use VMWare myself.

9. Vengeance

Vengeance Member

If you look for deals, you can find a good thinkpad for around $750. There's the SL series, which is more consumer-rated than the business-oriented T series. The thinkpad keyboard is about as good as it gets on a laptop, and the build-quality/durability is second to none. I have had a T43 for five years, and it went through plenty of drops, spills, and more before the IDE controller died a few weeks ago. Still runs Linux off a USB drive just fine though :)

I've been really impressed with the build-quality of the recent Dell Latitudes, as well as some of the Acer laptops.

Just be sure that whatever you get, you uninstall all of the garbage software they pre-install on the system.

10. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Member

Where do you find these deals for the thinkpad?

11. Garner

Garner Member

very true, but go ahead and count that into your bottom line.

However, if you are going to College, keep in mind that you can get all sorts of Software from your university on the supercheap. Definitely the way to go.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I got it, it ships Monday!! I'm soo effing excited.

I was split between the Envy and a Macbook. The Evny (for the same price as the macbook alone) comes with an i7 and 1gb GDDR5 with Accidental Damage and LoJack for 2 years. This is perfect for any college student.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

a college student has no need for an i7 nor a 1gb video card though.

14. vstexas09

vstexas09 Member

I would suggest the Macbook Pro. It's awesome, and definitely worth it. Make your first months of college interesting by getting to play with a different OS. It has a lot to offer, and it's blazing fast.

15. FFz

FFz Member

You're right. You can only play starcraft2 on medium with that thing. I say u trade it in and get a desktop so u can play sc2 on ultra.

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Video Editing
    Graphic Design
    3ds Max
    Autocad
    ChemDraw

The list goes on. I guess if you're a psychology major or an English major you wouldn't need it. However, if you have a real major chances are you will use some higher level piece of software to do data crunching and modelling.

1 person likes this.
  17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Macs are getting huge on college campuses. I just read an article that said 50% of new students were buying one.

That said, Mac still doesn't have the range of programs that Windows has. so if you're technically inclined and feel like setting up a dual boot or emulation environment for Windows, I suppose it's ok. Kind of defeats the purpose of buying a Mac, though.

I still steer clear of HP. I've seen more of their laptops completely die than any other brand. I also stay away from Lenovo.

Check out this site.

One more thing. A warranty is an absolute must. But from the manufacturer, NOT the store, like Best Buy or Frys.

18. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Do not waste alot of money on a laptop. Their values goes down really fast. Just get yourself a Asus Eee PC 1005PE for under $400. If you already have a desktop at home you will hardly ever use your laptop and it will be just sitting around.

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Yeah that 50% number is not that far-fetched. It's crazy nowadays how many people have MacBooks and iPhones

20. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Thanks everyone, but I think I've decided.

I'm thinking about a Toshiba. Intel i3 processor, 12 cell battery, 4GB RAM and 500 GB HDD.