1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need Help Planning A Trip

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kenny536, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Kenny536

Kenny536 Member

Update on my trip:

I am leaving May 17th and arriving at Lima, Peru. I am leaving July 12th from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The tickets were bought a month ago. I’m going to start packing soon. Please let me know if you think something is unnecessary, and more importantly, if I am omitting anything. Also please let me know if I’m not allowed to bring these things on the plane, cause I have no idea. Keep in mind I haven’t bought some of these things yet, although I must do that soon. Thanks!

In no particular order, here is what I have decided to pack so far:

• Mp3 player, charger, 2 sets of headphones
    • Lots of 50+% DEET of insect repellant.
    • Some sort of travelers backpack
    • SD Card Reader + SD cards + 8 GB flash drive
    • Camera/charger
    • Electrolyte powder
    • Mosquito Net
    • A few sets of clothes (how many sets should I bring? Will I be cold?)
    • Binoculars
    • Spanish – English dictionary + Portuguese – English Dictionary
    • Travel pouch, two wallets
    • Padlock
    • 2 pairs of shoes, one for dry land and one for water
    • Hand sanitizer/wet wipes
    • Alcohol rub, malarial medication, cipro, pepto-bismol, Imodium, Tylenol
    • Travel pillow, towel, razor
    • Flash light, batteries, adapters and converters for electronics
    • Sun hat, sunscreen, umbrella

That’s all I can think of right now. Is all of this necessary? I don’t know how I would fit all this into one backpack. Should I have a second bag and just leave it at the hostel?

Here is my schedule for the actual trip:

May 17th – May 21st – Lima
    May 22nd – June 7th – Cusco (Machu Picchu, Manu, Lake Titicaca, Paragliding)
    June 8th – July 12th – Brazil (Pantanal in Campo Grande, Rio de Janeiro, and possibly Iguazu Falls)

Things I have done:

• Shots / malaria medication (doxycycline).
    • ISIC card/travel insurance.
    • Brazilian Visa
    • Hostel reservations for the hostel in Lima.

Things I still have to do:

• Register with the embassies in both countries.
    • Make copies of my passport.
    • Carefully read the lonely planet guidebook.
    • Finalize the date for the Pantanal.
    • Figure out how to get from Peru to Brazil
    • Learn more Spanish and Portuguese (haha I am so screwed)
    • Buy foreign SIM card for phone (will do this in airport at Lima/Brazil)

I think the main thing I need help with right now is how to get from Peru to Campo Grande. I’m hearing that direct flights from Lima to Campo Grande can cost $1000. I do not want to pay that much. I’m hearing cheaper alternatives if I go through Bolivia (i.e. Cusco > Santa Cruz and then bus it to Campo Grande). Can anyone help me out with more information on this? Also, if I do this, will I have to obtain a Bolivian visa?

Thanks for the help everyone – this trip will be a memorable experience!