1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need help from English Spelling Freaks!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BasketballReasons, Oct 1, 2012.

1. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Hey guys, I am a second-language english speaker so my grammar and spelling is a little bit off. Unfortunately no one in my family speaks english anymore outside of me. So I don't really know anyone to go to to help me check my spelling and grammar for this cover letter i've wrote for an internship program.

If someone could check it out and give me notes (on the letter in general) or help correct my mistakes, it would be greatly appreciated.

1 person likes this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Got to capitalize "I've".

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Don't use contractions in a formal letter.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

Agree with what them ^^ said. Could be a little smoother with the sentences but I think someone like Swoly would probably do that better than me.

Other than that, I don't think employers really read cover letters. I thought it's just a formality thing.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Good job.

I don't see anything majorly incorrect about using "I've" instead of "I have", but I'll agree with the above peeps with using a more formal way by saying "I have." Also, I don't know to what "medias" you're referring, but it seems odd by itself ... maybe something else ("media companies", "media") would work there. Overall, the sentence structure and fluidity of the paragraphs seem to be well written. Congratulations! :cool: It's great to see English written well.

If you don't mind if I ask: what is your first language, how long ago did you start learning or speaking ESL, and at what age?

p.s. Glad to see you're interested in working with XXX like the rest of us here in the hangout. :p

EDIT: removed "saying"

#5 SwoLy-D, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

This is how I would write it...maybe you will find some of the changes useful.

Dear X,

Since moving as a child from Y to Z in the early 2000’s, I have always envisioned myself coming back to the United States as soon as I earned my degree.
    I am very impressed by X tradition, corporate culture and their vision which enabled X to become the top company in XXX. Obtaining an internship at X would be an excellent first career milestone for me and I have every intention of making the experience equally profitable for the company.
    Given my solid academic background and international experience, I can bring a different set of eyes and a unique skill set that I feel that I would be a great fit for your internship program. I am excited about the opportunity to work in the challenging and rewarding environment that a large, sucessful company such as X offers.

Currently I am a senior, majoring in Business Management in the Science Economics program of the X, I plan on pursuing my Masters degree in International Business at the X once i’ve graduated in the summer of 2013. My academic past, present and future interests mirror the philosophies of X in that both emphasize global experience and perspective. The courses I have completed have given me solid roots in the tools, knowledge and creativity involved in business management and marketing. Furthermore, my past work experience utilizing different media formats have helped me understand the trends of today and tomorrow in the world of marketing. I am a responsible leader both as a Chief Officer of Internal Communications for the X Club and I have a proven ability to learn challenging concepts quickly.

I possess the education, enthusiasm, and creativity necessary for X's Internship Program. My leadership background is extensive with a record of increasing responsibility, innovation and accomplishment along with solid professional experience. I embrace all challenges with the desire and skill to succeed, I am an ideal candidate for X. Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

1 person likes this.
  7. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Ok ok, I didn't really pay attention to that when writing the letter but its obviously more formal. Thanks for pointing it out!

I myself didn't think much of it as well, they asked me to send in my resumé first then asked a cover letter as well. I suppose given the distance between the job (Europe and US) they want to know a little bit more about me before video-conferencing.

I wasn't really sure as well for the "medias" terms, and I didn't want to restrict myself to one media. What I'm trying to say I suppose is that I understand the media trends of today and what the consumer wants to see or hear. Not sure if I'm clear. :)

Y to Z is in fact Houston to Brussels (not sure why I blurred it out at first). I was born and raised in Houston but moved back to Belgium at age 8. Mother-tongue is French given that we were raised in a french house-hold and went to school at AWTY in the beginning. Speak a little spanish as well ;)

I knew it would please the BBS :cool:

Man thank you so much, I really like some of the changes you've made. I'll try to incorporate some in my letter.

Thanks a bunch!

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:cool: Glad to help. We're...

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NxVsQ4ujCs8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NxVsQ4ujCs8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

:cool: