1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need help finding a reasonably priced gaming laptop

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RunninRaven, Jun 27, 2014.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So my wife's laptop went kaput and my desktop is a bit old and was never really built to handle any top end games. I decided that when I replace the laptop I would like it to be with one that can handle some of the more demanding games (though not looking for top of the line, here...have to stay within budget). I'd love to keep the price at $700 or less but I'd be willing to go upwards of $900 if there was a really good deal.

The problem is I haven't really been into computers or gaming for over a decade now so I've lost touch with whatever the better hardware models and technologies are. I look at laptop deals at various websites (newegg, tigerdirect, fatwallet, etc) and the models I see might be in my price range and listed as "gaming laptop" but I have no idea if it is any better than another type I see at another website that may be the same price.

So I'm calling on my CF.net brethren to help direct me towards some better deals within my budget. Can you help a brother out?

2. MykTek

MykTek Member

Lenovo Y510
    If you can afford, pay the extra $100 for the 2nd video card :)

3. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Alienware has never let me down.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Doing a quick browse of the Alienware stuff, it seems they are out of my price range.

5. Karolik

Karolik Member

Gaming wise its all about the graphics card.

I suggest you go to the this site http://www.notebookcheck.net/

to determine how good your graphics card and what games it can play and at what speed.

For example

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-V5-552PG...&qid=1403916911&sr=1-1&keywords=gaming+laptop

5 star laptop on amazon. Graphics card is class 2 according to http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-8750M.87147.0.html

Class 1 is probably top of the line. Class 2 can probably play demanding games but at a lower performance. If you scroll down you'll see the above example can play BF4 and COD: Ghosts but at lower performance.

1 person likes this.
  6. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

I agree with this post. eProps for you.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Does it have to be a laptop?
    I say this because laptops are overpriced because of its portability.
    You'll get a better bang for your buck with a desktop PC.

Tablets have largely replaced laptops anyway.

9. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

That Lenova Y510p is probably the best bang for the buck within your price range (that's not used or refurbished). Here's the dual graphics card model for $869.

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

You have to wait for the dell outlet coupons, and of course be willing to "settle" for their outlet stuff. It's similar to amazon warehouse and probably ymmv with each piece, but my alienware is approaching 3 years without a hitch.

That is, if you are so adamant on buying a gaming laptop. This 3 year mark with my alienware is probably the first time out of my previous laptops where I haven't felt like it's approaching obsolescence. But there will be a time soon enough where I'm stuck running the latest game on low settings and 15fps.

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Refurbish is not always bad. As long as you do a little research and make sure the whole product line isnt a lemon, you can find some really good deals.

12. Garner

Garner Member

If you're on a budget, get a PC.