1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need General Health Help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MacBeth, May 24, 2004.

1. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

For all those out there who know about this kind of thing,here's my situation:

For most of my life I was one of those annoying people who ate absolute garbage and didn't show it at all. Aside from 10 glasses of water/day when modelling, I never once gave a thought to what I ate. I stand a little over 6 ft, and until recently my waist stayed at 29-30, and my jacket size was 46. I attributed this to a fast metabolism, and constant sports/excercise ( usually 2-3 league games/week, 3-4 friendly games, and working out about every day.)

I had sports injuries, and related surgeries, along the way, but it never affected more than the area in question. That all changed about 2 years ago.

I had a pretty serious illness, and a pretty debilitating injury, and essentially had to shut down. I continued to eat as I always had, which was at leat a 2L bottle of Coke a day, usually more eating most of my food out of cans or take out, and snacking on junk food whenver the urge struck.

And, for the first time in my life, it took it's toll. My wieght originally reduced because I wasn't working out, but then started to climb back up, only it wasn't muscle anymore. SInce then I have had an on-again off again battle with flab, although it doesn't really show if I'm dressed, and I need advice.

Right now I'm at 180, and while the would have been light for me when I was in shape, some of it now is just fat. I can't really excercise much, and sports are on hold, so what I need from people is advice on excerise that you can have that doesn't place to much stress on your body center ( back, stomach, neck, etc.) but kills calories, and a diet that might fit with my priorities. For a while I was down to 168-171, but that involved an eating shedule I found hard to maintain, as unused as I am to even having to think about it.

I've cut the Coke back to 1-2 cans a day, but don't want to drop it completely unless absolutely necessary. I hardly have junk food anymore, but the girls here do bake a lot, and I have cookies, cake etc. at times. I considered Atkins, but have issues; Coke, obviously, and one of the girls here told me you also lose muscle. It took me years to develop mine, and I don't want to lose ehat's left. Besides, aren't there health concerns?

I have tried a few things: 10 pieces of fruit or veggies a day to fill up, and whatever I wanted to top it off, the assumption that I would be full on good stuff, and not want all that much bad stuff. I tried only eating one significant meal a day, and rounding out with light snacking, etc. Some of it works, but it's always a labor. I hope someone here can help me with a balance of excerise I can do, and a diet that's not too restrictive. The upside is that, as badly as I;ve treated it, my body still treats me pretty well, and when I do excercise, it respons pretty quickly. It also doesn't make me pay as much for my sins as some. But I know I need to start returing the favor, and can't seem to find a consistent means of so doing. For the first time in my life I feel out of shape, lethargic, and weak.

Please help me, if you can.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Switch to diet Coke. It sucks at first but then you get used to it and can't go back to regular.

That'll save a few hundred calories a day, that really adds up.

3. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

4. coma

coma Contributing Member

Diets are usually pretty restrictive, but if you don't want that, try this:

-Cut out as much sugar as you possibly can.

-Eat six small meals a day. Breakfast -snack-lunch-snack-dinner-snack. Try to have your last snack eaten 4 hrs before bed time.

-Take your body weight, divide it by two, and drink that amount in water each day.

-Get at least 8 hrs of sleep daily.

-Lift whatever weights you can - it also increases metabolism.

-Go for brisk walks - take short steps.

-Stretch.

You won't quickly lose as much as weight compared to a more restrictive diet, but this will help. If you want, you can get more into the portion size, as well as protein/fat/carb percentages.

Good luck, fatboy. :D

5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I pretty much hate pepsi, but if you can find Pepsi One, it really tastes about as close to real coke as you can get. I think they even tried to market it that way when it came out (without actually directly saying so, of course). Diet Coke, of course, tastes NOTHING like real coke. Its like they were trying for the complete opposite.

I also suggest that you get an xBox or a playstation and a couple of decent dance dance revelotion mats. You're roomies will LOVE it, and you'll all stay in shape. It's addictive, and burns lots of calories.

6. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

How long does it take to get used to it? I've had it occassionally, but it tastes like flat Coke with a bad aftertaste.

7. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

I hate it just as bad as Sugar Free Diet Dr Pepper from back in the day.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Cut out cokes for a couple of weeks. Then try the diet versions. It still won't taste the same, but it'll be a lot easier to get used to rather than simply changing now.

I lost quite a few lbs doing that alone. I'm starting again today!

I can't drink 110 lbs of water. :eek: :D

9. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

1) Can you give me an example of a typical small meal?

2) I am a crappy sleeper. I know of other concerns, but how does sleep hlp with wieght/shape?

3) Lol! Thanks. Yeah, I know that some feel it's silly to complain about 180, or now wearing a 34 pants, but it's not the weight, it's the distribution, and it's in ways I've never, ever had before, and I feel a little helpless.

10. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Sounds awesome, but they don't get it in Canada, I'm told. If you know differently, please tell me. I would so this.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

This is from last Saturday. Times of meals change slightly during the week because I workout around 3 instead of 1030ish... I'm not going to include the serving sizes (I'm kind of rushing).
    If you adopt this meal plan, make sure you're taking in the correct amounts for your size and lean body mass!

6am
    -eggwhite shake with 8-10 eggwhites, strawberries, 1 cup of oats, bananas, flax oil, and pineapple
    Multivitamins (GNC Ultra Gold)
    Carnitine
    Glucosamine

8:30am (2 hours prior to workout)
    -Lean turkey Soup with lots of whole grain pasta, veggies, and flax oil.

10:00am (30 minutes prior to workout)
    -amino acids
    -CoQ10

10:15am (15 minutes prior to workout)
    -Carb drink (75g of carbs)
    -Ephedra drink (25g of carbs and ephedra, taurine, etc)
    -Creatine Monohydrate

12pm Post-Workout
    -Whey Protein (40 grams)
    -Some juice/gatorade, etc. 80 g carbs
    -oats (25-45g of carbs)
    -flax oil
    -creatine
    -glutamine

2pm
    -Chicken Breast
    -Baked Potato
    -Kidney beans
    -EFAs

4:30pm
    -Lean Body Bar
    -Apple
    -Pear
    -Flax Oil
    -Centrum One-A-Day

7pm
    -Turkey Chili (see healthy recipes in this forum) with lots of kidney beans, turkey, and other veggies
    -flax oil

9:30pm
    -eggwhite shake with 8-10 eggwhites, strawberries, flax oil, and pineapple
    Other Supps I take before bed
    -Lysine
    -Zinc
    -Vitamin C

I ALWAYS wake up around 2am to go to the restroom, and I take this opportunity to take amino acids with some water, to ensure that my body has a full supply for repair and recovery.

Throughout the day, I snack on dry roasted unsalted peanuts and celery sticks.

Total calories on a typical lifting day: 4200

Macronutrient ratio from last Saturday: 15% fat, mostly unsaturated-26% protein, all lean - 59% carbohydrates, mostly complex

My measurements as of last Saturday (I'll measure again tomorrow):

213lbs
    6.34%bf

Later,

now this diet is to the extreme. cut down on whatever you want and this will get you exactly where you want.

12. underoverup

underoverup Member

Just get your stomach stapled or eat a lot of botox. Also, have you ever considered power modeling?

13. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

:confused:

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Phhhhht. I haven't seen 180 on my scale since high school. I don't want to hear it! ;)

You would be surprised to find out what a difference simply drinking water instead of soft drinks (even diet) would make. Even if you don't change your diet that much, I think you'll still feel a difference.

I used to be pushing 270. I went on a diet a few years ago and now I usually hover around 210 or so. I try to eat healty but if I don't, I still make sure to drink lots of water. I never drink soft drinks.

15. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

\

I totally agree. I was a hardcore coke/pepsi sugarholic until I gave Pepsi One a try. It's the best of the diet stuff. Diet Dr Pepper a close second. Diet Mountain Dew ain't bad either. Diet Coke flat out sucks. You have to eat something salty to help it go down, imo.

I recently went off the diet drink wagon but am back on it.

16. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Why are diet drinks THAT much worse than water?

17. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Does anyone know if I can get Pespi One in Toronto? I called one of the girls who works at a pharmacy, and she siad we don't get it.

18. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Pelein...

Thanks a lot. unfortunately, I don't know what many of those even mean...

"CoQ10", for example.

19. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

I always imagined you as quite skinny.

Thanks for destroying my world. Same with RM95.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Picture me in high school. 6'2", 155. :eek: