1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need dog help....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDream, Aug 2, 2014.

1. DaDream

DaDream Member

Hello,
    I am not an animal person. I don't hate them, I am just not all about dogs and don't think they are people.
    My fiance, on the other hand, is. She moved in and has a (what we think) is a boxer/lab mix. She has no kids and I have 2 from a previous marriage.
    Well in the past 2 months the dog has bitten both my kids in the face and the nieghbors kid on the leg. The neighbors kid jumped the fence and I guess freaked him out.
    He was chewing on a bone when my kids (7 & 9) got bit. I do not like this dog and want it out. My fiance thinks this dog is her child and refuses to even consider this.
    If a dog is a bitter like this, will it always be a bitter?
    The dog has been living at my house for about 2 months.
    This dog may ruin my relationship which is another can of worms.

thanks guys.....

2. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

If your fiance values her dog over your kids you need a new fiance.

3. VanityHalfBlack

You must contact this person immediately[​IMG]:

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That dog probably needs training immediately and your kids need to be involved with that (if you want this problem to stop while maintaining your current living situation).

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Really. You're going to let a pet break up your engagement

Sit down, take a deep breath and think about that for a second

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Option 1

Give neighbors 100 bucks to demand the dog be removed

Option 2

Dump the girl. She will likely fold, give up the dog, blame you.

Option 3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Try training it

Pics?

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

That dog needs to be put down if it's biting your kids. I say that as an animal lover, too.

9. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

I love dogs, and have had them all my life. That said, it sounds like your girlfriend treats it like a person, and not a dog. Therefore, it's going to walk all over yall.

In fact, the only thing dogs and people have in common is that just like children, you have to spank/discipline them as pups so they don't do this crap when they grow up. When adults screw up, they go to jail. When dogs screw up, they get put down.

Blame the owner, not the dog. Just as we should blame the parents, not the kid.

1 person likes this.
  10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What would Stephen A Smith do?

11. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

This. Suspend your dog for a week, & make him apologize to your kids.

12. heypartner

Consider this constructive criticism. I have trouble blaming the dog based on what you told us

The dog bit a person who invaded your property by jumping a fence. The dog doesn't know the difference between a neighborhood kid and an intruder. I don't recommend reprogramming the dog to allow intruders in your back yard.

But you do need to buy some "beware of dog" signs for your fence.

Secondly, you said the dog bit your kids when he had a bone. I can't think of many scenarios where a dog would drop a bone other than when commanded to or harrassed. You need to train you kids to never bother a dog that is eating. And toss the bone in the backyard next time

This is no different than the need to teach kids never put your hand through a fence to pet a strange dog. Many dog owners cannot pull a bone out of a dogs mouth. They were given that bone and they are keeping it.

Save your future marriage and try to look at these as uncommon events where the person was untrained more than the dog

That said, does they dog show any other dangerous behavior with your kids?

#12 heypartner, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yeah, what heyp said....unless the dog is just randomly approaching kids to bite them, then the problem is the kids around the dog not knowing how to deal with it.

2 incidents, where the dog, in his mind has reason to bite, and in the first two months of having him is not too much. Teach the kids how to handle it and give the dog time to get used to having more people around all the time.

14. rex

rex Member

Dogs are easily trained not to be aggressive while eating. The bone you give them is yours and you can take it back when you like. If the dog doesn't understand that it can be taught. Some education and training is all that is needed. And some patience and initiative by the op.

15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

As a dog owner and a parent. I agree 100% with this post.

But if the dog show other dangerous behavior around people it is a different story.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Besides he bit BOTH of them, in the FACE?

17. heypartner

Agree if I give my dog a bone, I can take it back. But it's more advanced training to teach the dog to allow anyone to take his bone

It's simpler and quicker for safety to just throw the bone in the backyard and tell your kids not to bother the dog when he gets his bone

18. rex

rex Member

Agreed, especially in a new situation.

19. heypartner

The point is the fiancé has a case, as the kids can be taught what they did was dangerous. OP is arguing with his fiancé over a pet and calling the house his and not theirs. This engagement doesn't sound like it's going so well.

This is not worth breaking up an engagement, as described so far

#19 heypartner, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think some training with the dog and your children involved would be a great solution. You might want to be involved as well. It can help the bonding process.

But as heypartner has said, there are definite solutions that don't include killing the dog or getting rid of him.