1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[need Aggies advice]Dorm Question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketsMac, Jun 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I didn't get a chance to respond yet :D

first off, LMAO @ melting pot.. I'm gonna admit A&M isn't the most diverse college out there (and that's one hell of an understatement).. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna single handedly represent the 0.000001% middle eastern ethnicity .. :D

as for living off campus, I would absolutely LOVE to do that.. but this scholarship I got requires me to live on campus for at least the 1st year, and a bazillion people advised me to live on campus to "get to know stuff" better at least for the 1st year.

I called the Housing department, and (thank you Oski!) I kinda cut off the lady before she burst out in laughter at the idea that I, a freshman, am interested in "single" rooms. she paused a bit, told me that "your chances are slim to none", and I'm like "because I'm a fish huh?" and she was like "ummm, yeah".. I also asked about my chances in the Modulars, and she said "chances are better than singles, but they're still slim".

which brings us to my next question; does anyone know anything about Lechner or Mosher?

Lechner is the honors dorm for freshmen, and while I am pretty open about the fact that I'm a nerd, I wouldn't want my first year in college to be with a bunch of bookworm freshmen who study the whole time and would get pissed if I wanted to have some fun ... however, if I had to choose between a $hitty cool dorm and a modular nerdy dorm, I would def take the latter..does anyone have experience with Lechner?

now Mosher is another Modular, but it's specifically for engineers (I'm a Chem engineering major).. Would my chances be better here? or is it the same as eppright/wells?

gosh I hate this crap, I can't wait till my sophomore year to move out.. I'm just hoping to god that I get a good roommate who's neither racist or a crackhead..

and Ziggy, I am def interested in the townhouse if it's that close to campus.. I will def get in touch with you even before the 1st year because believe it or not, my lovely parents want to rent a place in CS to "be with me" sometimes.

2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I was stuck in the craptacular cinder jailhouse known as Crocker. The rooms were tiny and you shared them. The bathroom was community. When I first saw it, I thought it would be terrible.

I ended up having a blast. Everybody keeps their doors open, everybody gets to know each other. I probably made more friends, faster my freshman year in that crappy dorm than any other year of my life, many of which I still know and communicate with.

I knew people in the modular and private room dorms. They did not get out as much, date as much, make as many friends, etc.

Your freshman year is the the year you network, make friends, and have a blast. After that, you can get an apartment or a nicer dorm. You'll have your friends by then that'll last you through college. Don't despair. The community bathrooms aren't really that bad, the small space isn't that bad (just put in loft beds), and the pros greatly outweigh the cons.

3. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

I'm curious, where did you go to high school?

4. updawg

updawg Member

good luck at A&M, might want to switch schools

5. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

I just love all the douches who come on a thread when they obviously have nothing better to do than bash a school they are envious of. Hell, you had a Texas State student come in promoting UT, way to go t-shirt fan.

If you have no facts to support what you say and just come on to talk ****, just STFU.

With that said, I graduated in 2004 and lived in Fowler for a year. If the mod dorms are now allowing you to live by yourself, then they aren't too small; with a roommate, I thought they were too small. I don't know if it takes seniority to live by yourself or more money, but if you can do it, great. When I lived at Fowler, they actually had me, my roommate and my suitemates live on the girls floor due to too many guys wanting housing. The balcony suites are ok. If you can get a loft and put your bed up on top and have all your crap underneath, you will have a helluva lot more room. The beds they give you are twin extra longs; they aren't huge by any means but when it comes to a dorm room, every little bit extra helps.

There is no carpet in a balcony dorm unless renovation has now added it. Sometimes the AC can be a little antiquated. I lived in the room that had control of the AC and girls would come to us asking to make it colder. We would turn it down and it would be freezing balls in our room and slightly comfortable in theirs.

Mini-frig is a good idea as well.

I know some people are saying how much better Southside is than Northside. The Northside does have more of the crazies, when I say that, they are the ones who still do many of the traditions and are a little more spirited, whereas I think Southside has more upperclassmen who stay inside and study and play video games/drink. It just depends what type of atmosphere you want. If you are a light sleeper though, the corp wake up and do all their running and yelling and the aggie band practices in the morning, so you might not like that, but if you are on Northside, you are closer to the train tracks. Just depends which noise you like better.

This is all I can think of now. If you have any other questions, feel free to post them and I'll check back and try to answer them.

Also, I hope you signed up for fish camp. I was never a counselor so I don't have any kind of agenda with that group other than it is a bunch of fun and helps you meet a few new people and helps you become familiar with how things are. Also, as was my case, helped me come out of my shell a little.

6. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Haha. Nice.

I roomed with my window facing the quad in Dunn freshman year and never woke up once due to the band or Corps Turds. Pretty good concrete walls.

As for upperclassmen in the dorms on Southside???? I mean, maybe some sophomores. I knew one junior still there in all of southside. There are seniors still living in the dorms on Northside that try to make freshman do pushups.

Southside was probably less enthusiastic about tradition. The kids would join fish clubs or fraternities and sororities instead of putting on helmets and chopping trees for fake bonfire. But Southside had a big community feel. Like you knew everyone. Probably what people would call "New Ags." They didn't do all the old hard core stuff, but kind of created their own traditions. Probably more Dem votes than NS too. Little more diverse.

I wouldn't have traded Southside and know I would have been miserable on North. But to each his own.

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I lived in Eppright and I loved the dorm, very diverse, not too many overzealous ags, the first time I met girls who played videogames, as much as guys, international students (my first roommate was from Trinidad & Tobago), cool/relaxed RA's, etc. The only downside is that it was right next to the damn drill field where the Aggie Band practices and they practice early. Not a bad thing if you have early classes though, but I rarely had a class before 11 after my first semester.

BTW, I don't think the other guys are envious of A&M, but it is very douchebaggy to come into a thread where a kid is just asking for some advice and use that as an excuse to crack aggie jokes and criticize people. Save it for another thread.

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

if i could find the OP's original thread regarding this matter, i'd post it for you simply for a frame of reference. but since you live in a warped sense of reality where you think people are actually ENVIOUS of those who went to a&m, i doubt it'd do much good.

remind me to make fun of you every time i see you post.

9. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I lived in Fowler Hall August 1991 through May 1995. I had a blast. I wound up not liking my roommate my freshman year, but my suitemates and I became really good friends.

I would recommend:
    -Getting carpet remnants to lay on the floor
    -Mini refrigerator
    -Hot pot (my old roommate used his to make spaghetti)
    -Get to know everybody you can in the dorm.

Good luck. Gig 'em.

10. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

There still isn't a reason for you to come into a thread where somebody has asked for help regarding housing and be a total jackass.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Cool, just drop me a message through the board.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I didn't see a middle eastern stat but here are some UT/TAMU comparisons from the latest data available. I assumed UT was the most diverse school in Texas so I chose it. UT's data includes law and graduate students, I am not sure if TAMU stats do. I know it definitely doesn't include law lol. Also TAMU has less total kids. UT's numbers come first.

Black
    1935/1413

Hispanic
    7446/5282

Asian
    7179/1875 (damn, I bet asians are biased against TAMU :p )

International
    4425/3836

TAMU total students: 46542
    UT total students: 49697

This isn't your granparents TAMU anymore. If you haven't been to CS in awhile things are a little different.

13. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

Thanks for posting this and busting some myths. My son went to an engineering summer camp at A&M last year and the camp was very diverse as were the counselors. He will be a freshman in the aerospace engineering dept. in the fall.

His high school was heavily Asian, and for the most part seemed to view UT at their "backup" school and did not consider A&M at all.

14. danny317

danny317 Member

This is not to bash on A&M. Theyve gotten better but lets add some number up.

UT:
    (1935 + 7446 + 7179 + 4425) / 49697 = ~42% noncaucasian

TAMU:
    (1413 + 5282 + 1875 + 3836) / 46542 = ~27% noncaucasian

id say UT has a stronger pull among monorities and asians bc, generally speaking, they havent developed a reputation of intolerance.

This is not to say that everyone from TAMU is a crazy cracker but youll find more instances of prejudice.

OP, Good luck on picking a dorm. I hope you have some cool people on your floor. If not, lifes gonna suck!

15. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

To be fair, when you post two smilies in the first 2 paragraphs and act overly newbie and freshman-like... isn't it our culture and "tradition" to act a little hazy?

Good for the OP for pursuing a higher education! However, some social critiques are well earned over time. Doesn't make them always true, but it certainly doesn't make them untrue. If you paint with broad strokes, you miss some detail, but while squinting, the color is still accurate.

16. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

^ he means don't shave and don't talk so no one knows you're a freshman. also make sure you become friends with all the drug dealers, it's hilarious watching their lives go to anus.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I didn't include all minorities. Your %'s are off. Also keep in mind I was comparing TAMU to one of the most (if not most) diverse universities on the planet. Compare TAMU to Baylor, Alabama, Harvard, HCC, I am too lazy. I wouldn't be surprised if the other Texas schools fell embarrassingly short of TAMU's stats.

18. danny317

danny317 Member

good point.

duly noted.

just hope the OP doesnt end up in a dorm full of crazies.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I see at least two possible south asian or possible hispanics towards the right side of that photo.

Diversity restored.

20. danny317

danny317 Member

where's waldo? :D