1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[need Aggies advice]Dorm Question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketsMac, Jun 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

As many of you know, I will hopefully be an Aggie next year and I'm extremely excited about it.. I know we have at least 5 fellow BBSers who are/were Aggies (Uprising where u at Saudi bro? :D ).

So I applied to housing a long time ago, with my top 3 choices being Wells, Eppright, and Clements respectively from 1st choice to 3rd. If you don't already know, those are the newest dorms (built in '89) and they're all Modular. Now, upon recent consideration of how god awful messy I am, I pretty much came to the conclusion that it will be very difficult to live with a roommate without annoying the heck out of him. So I'm now considering the "Balcony" dorms, specifically Schumacher (which renovated in 2001). Those Balcony dorms have "singles", which are single occupancy rooms with a shared bathroom with 1 other single (2 singles, with the bathroom right in between them and a door opening to each one).

The question is, does anyone have any experience with those Balcony singles? it doesn't have to be Schumacher, McInnis and HFK hall are fine (HFK stands for Fowler-Hughes-Keathley if you didn't know).. I know that basically everything is the same with the exception of carpets (balcony singles don't have any), but that doesn't really pose a problem to me..

2. chestr

chestr Member

I don't have any experience with any balcony rooms, nor do any of my friends. i lived in lechner hall last year which is also modular. it was pretty spacious and im very messy...clothes and papers and books all lying around...

but anyways. what im getting at is unless uve already made your mind up to change, id suggest maybe trying out a modular dorm for the first semester or year. mainly because i think changing dorms is a real pain since u cant change until the school year starts or something like that.

so basically youd just move in then have to move to another dorm. and you're not even guaranteed that you're going to get your change request granted. but i'm not sure if that's still the policy. might wanna check up on that

3. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Everyones messy in a dorm.,..there just aint enough room to not be. If they aren't, then they probably don't go to class and are gonna flunk out anyways!

4. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

My son will be a freshman at A&M next year also, he is incredibly messy and I feel sorry for his roommate. I lived in Leggett while I was there a million years ago.

My guess, and it is just a guess, is that the singles are reserved for upperclassmen. Fish are the low men on the totem pole when it comes to room assignments, or at least used to be.

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I lived in Hart Hall for two years: 1972-73 and 73-74. Is it still standing?

6. Fatty FatBastard

Get used to hating this:

[​IMG]

And loving this:

[​IMG]

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The fact that you are a freshman means the odds of you getting a modular or a single room anywhere are pretty slim. I got lucky by applying late that everything was pretty much booked and when somebody in Eppright decided not to comeback a few weeks before classes started they put me in there.

As for being messy, if you do get a modular, get there as soon as possible so you are the first one there, take the bed on the farside of the room by the window. You'll have a giant closet right next to your bed that you can just throw your crap into once it starts piling up. You don't have to worry about keeping the bathroom clean because there is somebody who will come in every week to clean it.

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

and to think you passed up on the hotties, 6th street, barton springs, the drag, lake travis, and a real athletic program to go live in college station for 4 years.

good life choice.

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Ouch. That was harsh. He's always got the Dixie Chicken. :)

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

just be a football player, and get some booster to pay for a nice house.

that's how all colleges work.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I have seen HFK, thought it was FHK but then again I don't even remember ever hearing of Wells, Eppright, or Clements, lol. I liked HFK, it just felt or open and bright than the other dorms I have seen.

Anyways, if you want to stay out of a dorm (and trust me you do) I have a place for rent in CS. Townhouse off University 5min from campus. Think about it... ;)

12. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

^- he's right. Dorms suck. Even if its with someone you know. Enjoy trying to go to sleep while your roommate watches Nickelodeon all night

13. Baqui99

melting pot

[​IMG]

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Obviously an old pic. TAMU went through a great deal to mix up the spices. I know a white dude tried to dance with an Indian chick and the Indian dudes she was with roughed him up. Tables turned. Somewhat.

15. Baqui99

Maybe that white dude asked the chick, "can you help me with this?" :)

16. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Yes... they put window units in it and Walton in 2002.

17. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

First of all, I would get the hell away from all the Northside crap. That's where all the weirdos that shave their heads and try to make you do pushups are.

Chances of you getting a modular are very, very slim. Just try to pick your crap up. It's not very hard. I am very messy by nature, but it is just laziness if you can't spend 3 mintures a day putting your clothes into a hamper.

I think southside is a much akin to Houston, and Northside to Houston. Get south and stay south. Don't shave letters into your head, don't put pots on your head, don't wear overalls to games. Trust me, you will be able to sleep at night knowing that you weren't a douche during the day. People like that give A&M a bad name.

Traditions are cool, but there is a line where it borders on idiocy. Anyways, good luck at school and clean up your stuff.

18. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I lived on the Northside and didn't do any of the stupid crap. It was better because you could just walk across the street to Northgate.

19. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I went to A&M for two years beginning in 1972. I shared a "floor" with seven other guys: 3 were white, 3 were Tex-Mexican, and 1 was Black. The three Mexican guys were my best friends. The Black guy was a distant Upper classman who didn't want much to do with us Fish.

Oh yeah, there were also some RedNecks!

20. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

I didn't say that everyone did it, I said that is where it takes place in abundance. Just like there is some of it on Southside.