1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Need Advice] Dog Issue

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BigMaloe, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Because of this incident, your dog is now labeled as vicious. If he hurts somebody in the future, this incident put you on notice and you will be liable if you are sued.

2. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

By reading the City of Magnolia laws you could definitely be in trouble because of several things:

a) The leash that the 'dangerous dog' (as they classify it) is on can't be more than 4 feet in length
    b) You can't keep a dangerous dog on a chain or rope unless a person capable of physically controlling the dog has control of the leash
    c) You can't have a dangerous dog outside of its proper enclosure without a muzzle

Read the whole thing for yourself here:
    http://www.cityofmagnolia.com/verti...ds/{C5876D35-D034-419E-8524-AFD6BB0E1B8F}.PDF

Does the person you are renting from know that you have a pitbull? They can get in trouble as well for knowingly letting you keep a 'dangerous animal'
    I am also pretty sure that theirs (or your) insurance does not cover any dog attacks. You are lucky your dog attacked another dog and not a human.
    I have a hard time finding home insurance companies that will underwrite German Shepherds ... forget about PitBulls.

#62 aeroman10, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You misread that entire ordinance. That only applies to a specific dog that has been declared by a judge to be classified as a "dangerous dog." It requires a hearing to declare a dog that.

According to that ordinance, BigMaloe's dog is not a "dangerous dog." He might become declared one after this incident, but he is not currently a dangerous dog.

4. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

handled probably almost the worst possible way

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Thought it was funny how he left it there "out of respect" lol

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Honestly, my dog is a like a family member to me and if your dog killed mine, your dog would probably have a terrible accident. I'd suggest you don't leave your dog outside unattended in the future, especially without a fence.

7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Ok ok ok... I know i handled it horribly out of fear and hurriedness to not be late. Bad move on my part for nit handling and confronting it this morning.

I have since went and talked to three dog owner and resolved everything. Maybe something was list in translation because he didn't speak great English, but he wasn't that distraught.

He seemed to only want money from me, which i don't have. He has came and gotten his dog and we have came to an understanding both of us were wrong for not having our dogs on their leashes.

Thanks for all the advice, the criticism and replies. Hopefully i can become a better owner and learn from this. It doors make me nervous and scared, especially for children. I have moved the dog to the back, and I'm looking for new fence.

8. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

You mentioned your dog only had 3 legs...where did you get it from? It may have been a fighter.

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

in some cities it is illegal to leave your dog leashed/chained up and unattended in your yard. if that is the case in your town then you might indeed be liable.

your dogs were probably extra defensive when the chihuahua approached due to the fact that they were leashed and the chihuahua was not. im not surprised they attacked. i dont blame the dogs...i blame the owner.

thats pretty messed up dude...you left their dead dog in your yard? the very, very, very least you could have done was put it in a box for them to collect.

and you have dogs and live in a place with an unfenced yard...you should be treating that situation like you live in an apartment and never leave them outside unattended. or rent a place with a fenced in yard. or not own dogs. no offense, but this was pretty irresponsible/inconsiderate/lazy/disrespectful of you.

so you just leave your dog chained up all day? in this heat? can you not leave him inside your house? do you ever walk your dog? why do you even own a dog? if i saw this going on i would absolutely call animal control on you.

and again, i cant believe you just left their dead dog in your yard...and your dog is chained up next to it...i would be scared to go retrieve my dead dog too.

what you are doing is illegal in many cities and it definitely constitutes animal cruelty in my book.

#69 jo mama, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. rex

rex Member

Get your dog a crate. Keep him in the house. It's hot. No liability at all.

11. updawg

updawg Member

Be thankful that you have some forgiving and good neighbors. I was expecting this to turn out a little uglier. You got lucky today, hopefully you've learned a lot.

12. Nook

Nook Member

I have been thinking about this....

You have a pit bull.

You keep him outside... On a runner... Without a fence... In the FRONT yard.

You have neighbors, that have children ... That play in the yard...

You hear your dog (mind you, your dog was bred to kill) freaking out, and you know your neighbor has children... and you are too lazy to check and see what happened?

You find by your door the dead carcass of your neighbors dog... With your neighbors children witnessing the whole thing and taking pictures... You note that their mother is upset and distraught .... And your response is to leave the bloated body of your neighbors dog out in the 100 degree August sun of Texas all day?... You simply leave for the day with a dead dog in your yard?

I am going to guess that you left your dog out today, on the runner too...

Dude you do not have the common sense or caution to own a dog, not to mention a pit bull. You are very lucky that your pit killed a dog and not your neighbors child. People like you are why I can understand people wanting to ban the pit breed. When you own a fighting dog, you need to be extra responsible which you are not.

You NOW want to get a fence? Seriously?

I don't know what your neighbors will do. I do know that you are dangerous though.

1 person likes this.
  13. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

What about Section 18. What does that mean?
    Pit bull presumed dangerous
    There shall be an irrefutable presumption that any dog registered with the City as a pit bull is a dangerous dog and is therefore subject to the requirement of this article

14. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I also understood it that way . Pits are automatically on the list .

So the guy ask you to pay him for the dog and you refused ?

15. updawg

updawg Member

I agree and that's why I called him out on this early in the thread, but

He did seem remorseful ( after he lashed out at me) and concerned about the kids. Let's just hope he is learning from this and not just pile on him.

16. Nook

Nook Member

I don't mean to pile on him, I just want him to realize how irresponsible his actions were and to think about it. I don't doubt he is a good meaning person.

17. ashiin

ashiin Member

Just incredibly absent-minded with handling his dog.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Missed that. So I misread the ordinance. I'm wrong

I'm one of those people who defend pits. I have stories, but I don't like telling them because too many people hate tthe breed.

Sorry for saying you didn't fully read the ordinance when in fact I was the one who didn't know pits are by birth on the legal dangerous dog list

Makes me want to get a pit next. But I like mixed strays too much

19. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Not to pile on, BM, but please proof read your posts!

20. platypus

platypus Member

Ever since i witnessed a pitbull maul my neighbor's small pomeranian i hate that breed. That dog was supposedly well mannered to but somewhere something just clicked and it went haywire.

I would never own a pit just too much responsibility and propensity to cause damage. I'll stick with mah corgi.