1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Need Advice] Dog Issue

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BigMaloe, Aug 8, 2013.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

A runner is a write running from one tree to the next that has a chain coming off of it connected to my dog. Gives him more rooto roam around.

Dog us dead in my yard. My digg is chained up by the porch still. Neighbors aren't home.

2. updawg

updawg Member

Can you leave your dog inside? Maybe get a crate if you need to. You need to consider retaliation and also let them get their dog back so they can bury it. Why didn't you do that this morning?

These people are going to be pissed at you. Be careful how you approach them. If for some reason every uncle and cousin is over there tonight, don't try and talk to them

3. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I'd think the respectful thing would have been to at least gather up the dog ,maybe wrap it in something and return it to the owners . The owners probably would have liked to take care of the dog and put it to rest . I don't see any reason to have left it where they can not retrieve it . Just me but that would have been my first step .

4. Ashes

Ashes Member

You don't have a fence?

Yeah, okay.

5. Granville

Granville Member

Like someone said before, the biggest worry about no fence and the dog would be for a kid roaming in to his backyard. In this scenario, the neighbors dog needed to be on a leash too

I have 2 labs at my house and some of my neighbors have little dogs that they let out in their front yards. This pisses me off because they crap all over the neighborhood. One of the little bastards dug a hole and got in my backyard with my labs. Lucky for the little dogs, the labs are playful.

6. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To be honest, having a pitbull in a non-fenced in yard is pretty insane (personally I think the stigmatism against pit bulls is justified). I don't think you'll be legally liable, but leaving the dead dog in your backyard and not even talking to the mourning family who lost their pet is a pretty bad move. The first thing I'd do is return their dog's body, try to make peace, apologize profusely, and build a fence.

2 people like this.
  7. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Repped +1

Poor little dog.

8. Nook

Nook Member

#1 You must have left your dog unattended, as it killed another dog and you did not see it happen.

#2 Keeping a dog on a runner is better than letting it run wild, but that is not sufficient. First, it is considered cruel to keep a dog on a runner all day, and second, what happens if a child ventures into your yard? Do you have a fence? If you do not have a fence then you really need to get one or keep the dog inside. You are playing with fire.

#3 You need to find all of your tags and call animal control/cops so that your version of events is memorialized and you dont have a bloated dead dog carcuss by your dog.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Gated estate FTW!

10. wtfamonkey

wtfamonkey Member

Pits need to be eradicated from the face of the earth. Sorry, just had to say it. :mad:

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You messed up the moment you and your gf ran away from the situation.

Leaving their dog dead to rot in this heat seems pretty disrespectful IMO. You should have at least picked it up and put it somewhere to the side or tried to give it to them. The fact that y'all left and left it there can't be sitting well with them. That can't help your relationship with them.

Doesn't sound like youre at fault, though, but it sounds like a situation both sides maybe should have seen coming. Do they regularly let their dog out to pee or something?

Not sure how pet licensing works in tomball, but in Houston i'm pretty sure you need to have your pets registered.

12. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

The more I think about it, the more I think the OP is at fault. Who has a pitbull on a runner in the front yard? That's ridiculous. I wouldn't even do that if I had a docile big dog.

13. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Its bad enough to have a pitbull with a fence....

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah. Thought I misread it when you said you put the puppy corpse in the back yard and took off. That was an odd thing to do.

But that doesn't matter now. Just try to talk to the neighbors and let them know you're just as upset about this as they are.

15. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

16. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

On top of which "The unfenced albeit leashed pitbull is freaking out. I better ignore it!"

I have a hard time blaming the dog in this one.

17. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

If my dog killed another dog, I would be in tears, so apologetic to the pet owner's, and working on ways to make it right, even if the event occurred in my yard. I can't even fathom owning a dog that would kill another dog.

I don't know where OP lives but I'm pretty sure Houston has some forms of anti-tethering laws. I think you can only have them tied up if they are in your presence and you're doing something like yard work. Etc.

Poor chihuahua

18. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

I would be pissed if you left my dead dog were it died....all day....in the heat....by the dog that killed it...
    That's a pus move.

19. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

OP later mentioned living in Tomball.

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I would put your dog to sleep. A pit bull is bred to fight other dogs. Apparently yours has not lost that instinct just because you love the dog.

I have a neighbor with a pit bull that recently escaped the yard with a wooden fence. It kept beating at the boards every time a dog or human would come by. Owners didn't fix the fence and great stuff happened.

If you are lazy and you have a vicious animal, at least be responsible enough to get rid of it.