1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Need Advice] Dog Issue

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BigMaloe, Aug 8, 2013.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

So this morning i hear my dogs barking outside for quite sometime but choose to ignore it out of laziness I guess. Well i decide to look out the window while getting ready for work and notice a dead chihuahua by my porch where my big dog (3 legged pit bull). The neighbors hispanic children are taking pictures from their yard while my dog continues barking.

Now i start getting nervous because the neighbors dead dog is in my yard and I'm worried about cops and ramifications. My girlfriend talked to their children because the mom doesn't speak English and they confirmed it was their dog. The mom seems extremely upset, yelling and slamming doors.

Unfortunately i had to leave for work. My girl had since when to my moms to get away, she's scared also. My question is what should i do? Also, can i get in trouble? I know there is such a dogmatism against pits and that doesn't help, but the dog was in my yard.

Does anybody have expressive, or knowledge of these types of things? I really don't want to get into trouble because of it, but i do feel bad for the dog and the family.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

1 person likes this.
  2. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

If their dog got into your yard, I don't think it is that big of a fault against your dog.

They need to keep their dog in the yard. Stand your ground.

1 person likes this.
  3. updawg

updawg Member

You sound like a terrible dog owner. Why not try and make peace with them. Your dog just killed their pet. Your dog isn't domesticated, don't leave it unattended, especially around children.

4. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

The dog got into your yard and was off the leash. Dumbass chihuahua's think they are the toughest dogs out there and probably instigated it.

They were taking pictures so watch out they might think they "caught a case $$$" but you are ok if your dog was in your yard. Watch out for retaliation.

EDIT: is your yard fenced in? If not then it turns on you for leaving a pit bull out there unattended.

5. cdeezballz

cdeezballz Member

First, does your dog have its city license tags and vet tags for shots? If it does, I would think you would be in the clear, since the chihuahua come into your yard.
    Similar thing happened to me. The neighbors chicken flew into my yard and my dog killed it. They tried to call the cops, but since chickens are illegal inside city limits and my dog was properly licensed and up to date on shots, the cops gave them a chiding for have the illegal fowl inside the city.

6. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

hispanic?

1 person likes this.
  7. BigMaloe

You sound like an uppity old white lady who does too much nagging. Fyi my dog isn't unattended, he is on a leash by my porch for obvious reasons.

No dog is never unattended by an owner at some point in the day.

My yard is not fenced in, but he is on a runner. I have been telling myself the same thing about thdog coming into my yard do its not my fault.

I don't know what city license tags are but i have his shots and what not from the vet. I don't love in the city, i love outside Tomball in the town of magnolia.

8. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Dogmatism. I see what you did there.

1 person likes this.
  9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

If he was tied up you did nothing wrong. Would be no different if a squirrel came into his path and he killed it.

And lol at whoever said "never leave a dog unattended"

1 person likes this.
  10. BigMaloe

Lol i meant stigmatism but it worked out...

11. VanityHalfBlack

Be careful though, Cops are very prejudiced against rottweilers.

1 person likes this.
  12. BigMaloe

He's a pitbull but i know what your saying.

13. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I don't think you did anything wrong - your dog was leashed in your yard. But I am a bit amused at the whole 'pit bulls get a bad rap' tone that's coming across. If I own a lab, I don't really worry about it killing and eating a teacup poodle that happens to wander across my property line.

1 person likes this.
  14. updawg

updawg Member

Tied up is a lot different than freely roaming around his un fenced front yard.

Of course dogs are left unattended, mines in my fenced backyard right now. The point was that letting a pit bill roam freely around an unfenced front yard has lots of potential problems. Even tied up in the front it could be trouble (kids wanting to pet it etc)

Good luck, I would try and make peace. They will be pissed and I wouldn't leave your dog out front like that, who knows what they might do to it. Obviously you are in the clear but that doesn't necessarily make you right. Your dog seems to like to kill other pets, you have to take responsibility to make sure that doesn't happen.

1 person likes this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It shouldn't be a problem but crazy **** happens when it comes to animals, I'd send the dogs to stay with a relative for awhile just in case some mother****er shows up at your door with a needle and a piece of paper.

1 person likes this.
  16. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I feel bad for both parties involved. Sad for the other family who lost their dog, sad for the chihuahua for losing his/her life, sad for you and your gf for having to stress out about it/worry about the neighbors trying to get your dog put down.

However, I am happy to hear that your dog is doing well. I remember the sad story about him having to lose his leg.

1 person likes this.
  17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

so you're lazy and have dogs who kill other dogs.

please stay the hell out of my neighborhood

thanks in advance

18. BigMaloe

I will be talking to them after work. Its the least i can do. It is a tragic situation I'm sure for there kids.

I'm currently trying to clear out the back yard so i can fence him in, because i dont neccasar like tying him up.

I'm really worried about that. My girl actually already considered it.

Truly it's sad. I appreciate you concern both now and then.

Hopefully this all gets resolved and doesn't turn ugly.

19. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Poor Chi...

1 person likes this.
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't think you have any legal issues to worry about, but you should work to get a fence. It's a little ridiculous that you have an animal that will kill other animals in a situation that gives it that much freedom. People's dogs get out, cats get out, children run across yards, etc. While it doesn't make you legally liable (if it's a kid it will) you should consider whether you have a responsibility as a pet owner to keep your dog better contained.

For what it's worth, dog on dog in this state is property on property. They might be able to sue for destruction of property, but that's it. You should be concerned though that your pit might kill a kid that runs in your yard. Then it's a worse situation for you.

1 person likes this.