1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need a sport or hobby to actively engage in. Competitive spirit in me needs it

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Jul 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Houston Sports and Social Club offers many team sports. Its mainly for younger people but I did a bunch of different ones over the years. Bowling was a good one. That particular sport had an older crowd. Also did a few years of their softball leagues. Had a ton of fun and actually met my gf through them.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

speed croquetting

3. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

You could always bike across america. Cool thing about it is it should only take around 40 days and the lack of training needed to do is surprising little!

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

perhaps speed crocheting

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

This. On a whim, I took a college Badminton course and have loved the game ever since. I still play when I can at the local rec center. Done right, it is a lot of fun and demands both strategy and endurance. At my level, the strategy is to keep the other guy pinned to the baseline and wait for a mistake to slam and I can beat most people that way, but if you have a killer drop shot I'm usually toast.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aFGLXYcKD2M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  6. grt004

grt004 Member

Where could I find leagues? I am a beginner too and my girlfriend played in highschool, so she taught me the basics. However, she doesn't want to pay as often as I do.

7. jae713

jae713 Member

Try going to the gun range. It's pretty challenging to get accurate. It's inside and you feel like a badass when shooting.

8. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Bob Ross is the G.O.A.T. !!!

He painted this picture in three strokes using only the color orange! ;)

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

Hmm any more ideas. Appreciate all the posts btw. Ive considered many of them.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Any sport that uses a deep fry is a winner in my book.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are probably some softball leagues in which you could partake. You could probably play night games. There is some physical running, but not too much. It's physical and can be fun and definitely can be competitive.

Tennis is a good one, but it can be rough on the feet, take a while to learn before being really competitive, and might be too hot in the sun.

There is also competitive orienteering. I've never done it before, but it sounds kind of cool. It's like race but you have to follow a map to figure out the course. It's basically like a treasure hunt, and you can do it with a team as well.
    http://www.us.orienteering.org/new-o/what-orienteering

Swimming might be good, but if you are getting into it now, I'm not sure how competitive it will be.

The dancing competition was a good idea. You could do swing dancing instead of ballroom, which would include more aerials in order to add on an extra amount of physicality. It's a blast and is very social as well as competitive.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Chess. Definitely chess.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Name of gym pls. 24 hour gyms in Houston have courts that are ghost towns.

14. Outlier

Outlier Member

Question

Are there any sports i can get into at this age and if i get good enough, participate in the olympics?

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Sorry, it is a gym in Seattle :) Will let you know if I hear of one in Houston from family

16. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Mountain biking/ road biking.
    Disc Golf
    Curling
    Kayak fishing
    Kubb
    Kick Ball
    Petanque
    Cornhole

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Only if you're willing to move to Russia.

18. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Basketball for sure.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Judo obviously.
    Here is an introduction from it from the Human Weapon series.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8ARq4HQ1YjQ?list=PLA98ACCC30852892B" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's a great way to get physically fit, compete and also develop skills that you can use in other situations.

Besides Judo I would recommend a martial art and particularly a competitive martial art. I'm biased towards the grappling arts but Muay Thai, Karate and Taekwondo are also good.

As for going to the Olympics at your age unless you're a freakish athlete your options are limited. I would suggest curling
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zo8S3FysJyA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Although you might have a hard time finding a curling facility in Houston.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One idea for getting to the Olympics, if you're not already one of the best in World, is to become a citizen of a smaller third world country particularly an Islamic one.

The Olympics changed their qualifying in the 90's to keep out the Eddie the Eagle types so now first world countries have to qualify competitors by having do well in international competition already. For example the US doesn't have representatives in all of the Judo weight classes because there weren't US competitors who did good enough in those classes. The Olympics though still has a program to allow third world countries to place competitors. The IOC is very interested in having women from Islamic countries compete and in London allowed a Saudi women who was only a green belt and never fought in a competition to compete.