1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need a new hobby

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Dec 1, 2013.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

See what your friends are doing, see what's easy and popular to learn at school, watch TV and see if something makes you raise your eyebrow and gets your attention. See what your love interest likes. Go read some books at the library. See what's in display as "new books" and read them.

Learn how to make a website.

I can't believe I'm here telling someone what they should like and they haven't found out yet. :(

He's probably already doing that with himself. :eek:

2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

one of the best things i ever did for my health and peace of mind is buying a road bike. it got me out of my apt almost daily and was great for my health. getting a good one is essential. it'll make you WANT to ride more. i loved that thing. then it got stolen on a trip to the bar one night. :-(

my other serious hobby is photography. it's what i look forward to at the end of the work day. this can be an expensive hobby but when you learn about lighting and the fundamentals of your camera gear you can do a lot on a budget.

3. Panda23

Panda23 Member

ask jeeves is dead man

4. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

I was going to say the same. Besides fun & cheap, it gets you outdoors and moving. Also, you'll ALWAYS find a course to play. Another attribute is it's easy and fun enough to take children to grandparents out on the course.

But let me say this again: it's very inexpensive to enjoy!

5. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Disc golf is a good idea. And compared to other sports/ games, it's actually quite easy.

As someone else mentioned. Ride a bike. If you don't have one, get a cheap one on craigslist or a bike shop (not wal-mart/target).

Tennis and swimming are cheap and good exercise. Skateboarding is also inexpensive.

6. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

firstly you'll need to buy a fricking piano. And then you'll need to sit through lessons and feel humiliated at how 5 and 6 year old kids could play better than you.

So don't learn the piano.

7. body slam

body slam Member

Learn a new language.

I started gardening a few years a go. Great hobby in the spring and summer. Winter and fall I do may home repairs and serious house cleaning.

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

Disc golf sounds like one of those non-real sports created by someone who wasn't athletic enough to play real sports... But if someone can convince me otherwise lol.

9. droopy421

droopy421 Member

You asked for hobby ideas, not training to be a world class athlete.

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

You're right, but to be specific l need something that will make me more well-rounded, as long as it teaches me discipline or something that will benefit me physically or mentally.

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Says the guy who spends most of his time away from work laying in bed.

13. Indaface

Indaface Member

Find the nearest Turkish bath house and go enjoy yourself

14. Outlier

Outlier Member

Well...exactly why I made this thread...:confused:

15. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

find a place to go volunteer

16. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Have you considered 2 guys 1 cup?

17. conquistador#11

a world without the internet? is that even possible?

how about soul taking with photography?

18. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Well, most of my real sports aren't team friendly :grin: (triathlons, marathons, mud races, mt biking, etc.)

Did I mention it was a cheap way to spend a couple of hours outdoors?!?!

With disc golf you can play with anybody or by yourself. And if you find a course like the one north of Memphis in Shelby Forest, damn, you'd want to bring a lunch and spend all day out there. Hell, it could rain there and you'll hardly get wet because of the canopy above. Just beautiful.

Are you sure I hadn't I mentioned it was a cheap way to spend a couple of hours outdoors?!?!

If you want to use your noggin a bit more, get into the different discs available. They make them for every imaginable desire, much like golf clubs.

Also, the used disc are a dime a dozen...well, not that cheap but a 10 spot could get you one. I've been playing for 20 years and haven't ever bought a brand new disc., but I'm not the kind of guy that has a disc golf bag on wheels with 25 assorted disc either.

I play just to get out, stretch the arms & shoulders, walk with the wife, shoot the breeze with a bud....that sorta of thing...nothing serious. Fortunately for me I can see the 5th hole of a course from my backyard so I'm pretty lucky there.

And if I might add under-breath, you can play in "altered states"....:p

Only con would be: it can piss you off if you let it :grin: And if you do, trees will not be your best friend...LOL

19. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If this is how you respond to someone trying to help a brotha out, you could pick up a copy of How Not To Be a D-bag For Dummies and study it cover to cover.

20. Outlier

Outlier Member

I'm sorry man, everyone has given great suggestions, I was just surprised by that one because it was unknown to me. I'm thankful for everyone who has posted here.