1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need a back-up PG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Guru, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Guru

Guru Member

Penny Hardaway was mentioned on ESPN last night. The Sonics had showed interest but didn't sign him because of Lenny Wilkens, who isn't happy with him from his days in New York. Since then the Lakers have also shown strong interest in him. Now, I know most will say he is washed up junk, but truth stands that the washed up junk is still an upgrade over a cancerous 5'10 ball hog and the European T-Mac; especially if he comes at a cheap price.

This may have been discussed already and might even get locked right away, but just wanted to see what everyone thinks...

2. jason_long

jason_long Member

but do we need to cut someone off in order to sign penny?

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

When Yao comes back. Tmac will be the back up PG when Head is on the floor.

4. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

I agree that we need a backup point...Head never played point guard in college and you can't expect him to play point in the NBA and it seems like Spanos isn't a point either. So that leaves us with Rafer and Lucas. I don't know about Penny...I think we need to stick with what we have.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We can cut Sura to give him a look.

DD

6. Highwire

Highwire Member

I'd rather give the minutes to Span to develop him.

7. Guru

Guru Member

I would keep Sura for now, he will come handy near the trade deadline. I would cut Padgett, with Hayes, Howard, Battier and even T-Mac we have enough people that can do what he does. And JLIII does not look like a point guard i can't remember the last time he passed the ball.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Penny rehabs in Houston.
    Why not, we love old guards, Mark Jackson, Rod Strickland..
    and he played for the Knicks

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

When was the last time penny actually saw the floor?

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Agreed. Penny hasnt played PG since his Orlando days. You think he can keep up with Parker, Bibby, Terry, D. Williams, or Nash? HELL no. Add in the fact that Penny has never been a consistent nor long range shooter.

Shooting and defense along with ball control is about all the Rockets need from the PG. And Penny offers none of that. But damn his shoes were sick.

11. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I would take Sura who has one leg over penny.

We need to shop Sura's contract and the TE for either a pg or a 4/5 who will provide insurance come playoff time.

My guess is it will be a point gaurd because I think Van Gundy trusts Padgett more than Span or JL3. That being said if you can upgrade both spots with Sura's contract and the TE than you could cut Padgett (since there would be 16 players and Scott is older than the two point gaurds).

Only way I do anything is if we bring in a high character guy who wont mess up our good team chem.

12. Pocket Rockets

The New and Team Orientated Steve Francis is my choice

13. texanskan

I don't want Francis but if they get him than we cut Sura and if it happens before 2-15-07 than we could shop the TE for a better option over Padgett.

We might need 6 more fouls in the finals vs Shaq

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't mind us going after Chucky Atkins.

15. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

Luke Ridnour got demoted in Seattle...

Sura, JL3, 2nd rounder for him.

Get it done, CD!

16. texanskan

He would be our starter, or should be

17. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

I wouldn't start Ridnour (even if we did get him, which is extremely unlikely)...Rafer knows the system, and he's comfortable playing with our starters, especially Yao. I'd start him and let him set the tempo for the game...then depending on how things go I'd give Ridnour 15-25 minutes.

18. Guru

Guru Member

There is no such thing.

I guess Penny's lack of game experience could be a concern, but he wouldn't be a starter. I'm not saying go for Penny only, but someone other than the 2 we have now.

19. anitasri

anitasri Member

Whatever we do - we should atleast have a cerebral PG just-in-case!
    At times I feel that JVG has no choice but to stick with Rafer and hope his confidence gets him through.

Luke Ridnour would be nice- or someone of the caliber of Steve Blake!

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Mo Williams?

How about Gadzuric and Mo for Sura and Novak? We use the TE to make the deal work. They get hometown Novak and cap space by losing Gadzuric's contract for a serious run at Billups this summer. We get our future backup center and a serviceable big and a good, young, developing point in Mo Williams.

I am so/so on this deal actually. Just not a huge fan of Gadzuric. Would prefer to pick up Fazekas in the draft as the backup big and not be tied to Gadzuric's deal and Juwan's deal. Too much money for mediocrity. I do like Williams though and he is only 24 or 25 I believe. His offensive game is still improving. I would bet this deal would intrigue Milwaukee because of the extra cap space to be able to offer Billups the max.

Billups-Redd-Simmons-Bogut-Villanueva with Bell, Boykins, 2-1st round picks and Novak off the bench is a good, young lineup. And what if....they won the lottery and could add Oden or Durant?

I think Mo would fit in here and I think he could be re-signed reasonably. And I think he would come with Birds rights, so we wouldn't have to dip into our MLE to sign him.