1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need a 3-row SUV. Ford Flex?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by krosfyah, Dec 21, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Ford Transit? Dude, he's been driving a minivan for years and wants something that looks cooler than an SUV. I think the Transit is even worse than the minivan in that regard. Besides, I can't think of anyone who buys a Transit unless they're going to use it for hotel shuttles or other commercial reasons.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You should get with some cooler people then man. I wish I was cool enough to drive one.

[​IMG]

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Acura MDX is a popular one.

My brother got a new Tahoe. It's badass

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

Base price is $80k, add $7500 in federal tax credits, $5-$10k in gas savings over the life of the vehicle, maintenance savings(no oil change, no broken transmission etc.) and the total cost of ownership comes down to around $60kish. Still a bit expensive, but not quite $100k.

Believe it. Or go see it then. Should be in showrooms in January. Also, I guess technically it is a sports car too. 0-60 in 3.2 seconds.

EDIT: Also just to be safe, I would wait a few months until it starts winning multiple "car of the year" awards from different publications, 100/100 consumer reports etc. before purchasing. There is currently a 6-12 month waiting list anyways, depending on which configuration one chooses.

#44 CXbby, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That's essentially what I get. I didn't realize the estimate was that low. Most of my driving is in the Twin Cities, but there's generally not a lot of stop and go traffic.

6. Bandwagoner

So at 10K in gas prices you are saying someone willing to pay 80K for a car is keeping it 15 years? That calculation doesn't take into account electricity costs to recharge or the dwindling gas tank size.

You have the turbo version?

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I know you're doing a bit, but at least post some pics from the outside. It's probably too similar to a minivan for the OP.
    [​IMG]

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

^that is a minivan

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

that thing is fuggin ugly

10. Bandwagoner

I'm not doing a bit. I think you have to be pretty cool to have one. The OP talked mostly about practicality, 3 rows of seating and not looking like a typical SUV. Checks all those boxes.

[​IMG]

So is the Flex only it gets worse gas mileage and has less room and functionality. The ecoboost Flex has crapton of HP though.

11. bratna8

bratna8 Member

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

The numbers are over a 5 year period, the average for car ownership. And electricity costs are accounted for.

Assuming you drive 15k miles a year
    National average of $2.00 gas
    22 MPG for your gasoline car
    Electricity at $0.11/kwh

$1363 a year in gas cost for a gasoline car
    $467 a year in electricity costs for a Tesla

Of course this is assuming gasoline stays at $2.00 for a long time, in which case Texans would have much bigger problems than trying to save money on gas. But I don't think it will. This is also assuming you drive 15k miles a year, any more and the savings are more.

$1k-$2k savings a year is not much for someone buying a $80k car, I agree. But that wasn't the point. The car is not $100k as the OP claimed, and even at $80k it is overstated if you ignore cost of ownership. Just getting the facts straight.

13. Bandwagoner

Right, so with your numbers that falls short of your lower number (5 thousand). That is also using a very low MPG for a gas car ( avg for car sold by Ford is 36.8)

It also assumes 15K per year on a Tesla which is extremely uncommon. People just don't drive them that much. IF you want to stick with that 5K number savings on gas, you have $12K to make up for with "oil changes". You are just squeezing the balloon in a less believable shape IMO. In another words, you fudged the gas numbers just to put yourself in a worse position to explain the 60 thousand dollar figure you quoted.
    Again, how many Teslas are doing 15K a year? No one knows but from the ones I have seen it is closer to 5K a year. With 5 year ownership your oil change cost would have to be insane to account for twelve thousand dollars.

14. CXbby

CXbby Member

Where are you getting $12k from? There is a $7500 federal tax credit like I said. On top of the gas savings.

Speaking of less believable, all the numbers I am talking about are over 5 years, not the 15 years you claim. Over 15 years you are saving much more than $10k.

And how long do you think gas will stay at $2.00 for? At $4.00 you are back to saving close to $10k over 5 years. And the MPG is for SUVs, since we are talking about the Model X. No point comparing it to a Ford Focus.

And why the hell would you only drive for 5k miles a year? There is nothing stopping you from driving 15k, or 25k, or 50k miles a year. If you drive 5 miles a year, then sure, you are not getting much gas savings. Great point.

15. Bandwagoner

No I accepted all of your numbers. 60K not 80K remember? You said gas savings, oil change savings, plus rebate gets you to 60K. BY YOUR NUMBERS the gas savings were less than 5K, so to achieve 60K (the full 12K reduction) you needed some awfully expensive oil changes in 5 years. BMW uses 10K oil change intervals FYI. Your numbers also used much lower than avgerage MPG. And a much higher miles per year than any Tesla owner I know drives. All I did was point out your fudged numbers just increased the burden to get you to 60K. Which is still twice the OP's budget.

He doesn't want a Tesla? Cool?

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

$80k-$5k-$7.5k= $67.5k - maintenance cost like oil change/transmission problems etc. = mid to low $60k. Math is not your strong suit.

With higher gas prices it gets ever lower.

The OP said something that was inaccurate about the cost of the Model X, so I corrected him. Why would I care if he wants a Tesla or not? :confused:

EDIT: you keep on saying most Tesla drivers you know drive 5k miles a year. I don't know which Tesla drivers you know, given the ignorance you've shown, I highly doubt you know any. But, even giving you the benefit of the doubt, there is a great solution to the whole 5k miles a year problem: drive more than 5k miles a year. Problem solved, savings acquired.

#56 CXbby, Dec 22, 2015
  17. Bandwagoner

Oil changes happen every 10K miles. Transmission problems? LOL. You know most cars have this thing called a warranty right? Is your experience with gas cars mainly from the 1970's? Most do 200K with no issues.
    He passingly mentioned the price of a car he was never interested in to buy, and gave reasons. A car that costs 2-3 times his budget. And then you swooped in to tell him he was marginally off.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

Right. You spend $0 dollars over the life of your vehicle over anything transmission related, engine related, oh and brakes related too, since regenerative braking reduces wear and tear on electric car breaks. Assuming your magical fairy ride occurs $0 maintenance costs over its life, the cost of ownership for the Model X is still $67.5k in a world with perpetual $2.00 gasoline.

$100k vs a maximum of 67.5k is not a "marginal" difference. In fact, the difference is the size of the OP's entire budget! LOL

19. CXbby

CXbby Member

Dude, enough bickering and going off topic. Let the OP find his SUV.

It's funny though, is it a dealership or oil company that you work for? The bitterness tastes so sweet. I am sorry, your industry is crashing down. Time to jump on a different bandwagon.

EDIT: Just read the D&D. Don't tell me you work for ULA! LOL

#59 CXbby, Dec 22, 2015
  20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I still don't believe you, lol. :p You purposely didn't post pics of it from the outside.
    OP also stated he is tired of his minivan and you suggest an uglier minivan used 99% of the time for commercial services.
    Unless you're delivering bread or people on a daily basis, the Ford Transit van is just too ugly to purchase.

[​IMG]

I mean, if you're going for that route, you might as well have suggested the benchmark of transport vans, the Mercedes Sprinter.
    [​IMG]

That's actually the next luxury vehicle I'm going to purchase (no joke), but it'll be customized.
    [​IMG]

Sorry for hijacking the thread OP, though I'm not the first to do it here.