1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[NCAC] PRIVATE CENSORSHIP – FIGHTING SUPPRESSION OF SPEECH BY NON-GOVERNMENTAL ACTORS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

PayPal apologized. Doesn't sound like it was misinformation

PayPal apologizes for policy notice saying users could face $2,500 fines for misinformation

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/p...ce-2-500-fines-for-misinformation-11665391789

2. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

back to me as usual, eh?

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Sure why not

4. fchowd0311

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

well then deserves its own thread

6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

well this thread is about censorship of so-called misinformation. So that's why the story belongs in this thread. And as a private company--or so I've been told--Paypal can do whatever the hell it wants. If people don't like it, there are plenty of alternatives to PayPal . . . or else people can just start their own internet financing company if they don't like what PayPal is doing

7. fchowd0311

Well I don't really like having discussions based on make believe premises like Paypal fining people for wrong speak. That's not a thing.

If it was a thing, a libertarian would explain to you that there are these things called externalities and the consumer has the power to chose based off those externalities. It's a core tenants of a capitalist society.

But if you do want to apply thos logic to other sectors of industry I'm open to it. I am only allowed one option for my electricity and my internet. The state should have immense say in how those type of businesses are run right? Since they are businesses that created a market where there are no alternate choices.

But a true libertarian will say you don't have a inherent right to electricity and you don't have an inherent right to store your money in someone's private electronic bank.

8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

reminds me when AOC had someone sneak in a typo about "farting cows" on a Green New Deal document that she was forced to retract

https://freebeacon.com/issues/ocasi...stake-in-congress-just-intensely-frustrating/

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

on the same topic

https://blog.simplejustice.us/2022/10/30/but-with-a-duty-of-care/

excerpt:

The signatories of the letter, like the Netflix employees, similarly take the position of being the arbiters of “care,” calling it their duty to make sure that others, whether it’s us groundlings or the evil Justice Barrett, aren’t allowed to make the grievous mistake of seeing or hearing from the unworthy or hated.

It’s unlikely that I would be interested in reading love poems by Pol Pot, and I likely wouldn’t lose much sleep if no publisher wanted to make a book of them. But as warm and fuzzy as “duty of care” may sound, like preventing kittens from being inadvertently run over by speeding cars, there can be no free speech if it becomes subject to the populists’ notion of “duty of care.” Not for books in libraries about gay families. Not for a politically incorrect comedian. Not for a Supreme Court justice who sided against abortion in a decision.

No, it’s unlikely that the call for Random House to not publish Barrett’s book will mean that her book will not get published. But it’s no less censorship once the decision to publish has been made than burning books knowing that there will still be copies elsewhere is any less book burning. More importantly, each of us can be our own moral arbiter, and we don’t need the genius of the woke mob to exercise their “duty of care” to save us from whomever they decide is too evil for us to read.

more at the link

11. fchowd0311

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

your call for censorship is duly noted

13. fchowd0311

Leftist censorship has always been a problem conservatives have called out for a long time.

The OG anti-censor advocate:
    [​IMG]

This is a problem that spans over a century.

14. fchowd0311

I'm a leftist. It's deeply ingrained in my nature. Hitler would tell you that it's a core tenants of cultural bolshevism.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And for completeness....

Os Trigonum likes this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

wow, Elizabeth Warren standing up for FREEDOM!!!

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

wow, Mark Cuban standing up for FREEDOM!!!

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

related

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry Mark but the First Amendment doesn’t apply to Twitter. Other than for marketing purposes Twitter is under no obligation to have a bill of rights.

20. fchowd0311

How old are you? Did this rampant b****ing about free speech occur from you when the markets weren't friendly to progressive ideas?

I'm assuming you are old enough where you lived during a time that happened.