1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NCAA Tourney Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Fatty FatBastard, Mar 11, 2007.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

LSU definitely had a disappointing season, but they were still a Top 5 ranked team beginning of the season and had just beaten A&M the game before. That was a HUGE win considering how early it was into the season and how inexperienced our ENITRE starting lineup was.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I wouldn't say things like "kept losing big games" when we've won just as many big games. You say that A&M killed us (true) and that we only squeaked by them (true) but that doesn't make us any less of a team. We're starting 4 freshman and beat a Top 6 team in a very close game, are we suppose to be disappointed w/ that?

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Not sure I'll be able to. Maybe lunch time somewhere on Thurs or Fri???

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I think you're taking this a little too personally - I've got absolutely zero against UT, I'm not an Aggie, I'm not trying to bash UT cause I think they stink or to go against the stream. I simply do not think they will do well in the tournament based on what I observed in the regular season. You said it yourself, you're starting 4 freshmen. When I look at Florida or Kansas, I see things there that I don't see with UT. That's what matters when it comes to the brackets.

Evan

4. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Need help guys, Maryland or Davidson?

5. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

They both have eight letters, but more anagrams come out of Davidson.

Choose Davidson.

6. Major

Major Member

Sounds good! I have no idea where we'll be - just call RM95!

7. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

:(

:(

I don't think so. We'll see...

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

but UT doesn't have to beat either Fla or Kansas to get to the Elite 8. and THAT (the seedings) is what matters when it comes to the brackets.

bottom line...i think UT is playing good ball..and i think UNC is ripe to be upset.

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I have Thu and Fri off, so y'all let me know if there is going to be a midday March Madness gathering!

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Looks like The Wetspot for the early games Thursday then over to BW3 Midtown. I have to be out west for the Friday games, so it looks like BW3 Royal Oaks for the first games, then Stars out in Katy for the UT game.

11. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Max,

I was probably a little too strong on Oregon but I feel that Winthrop is that good. If those 2 teams do match-up, I have no doubt that Winthrop will beat them (now watch me jinx Winthrop with that statement).

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I don't think I'm taking this too personally nor do I think you have anything against UT. But I don't see how you can say we "kept losing big games" when you said yourself we're 4-4 against ranked teams. That's not bad considering half of those losses came on the road against A&M and OK-State.

13. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I'm down!

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Awesome!

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Difference of opinion. I don't think UT has much to hang its hat on. Didn't play big boys outside of the Big 12 (Chicago St!), lost to Michigan St and Gonzaga. They were competitive and split most of their matchups at the top of the conference. They can't debate that they're the best team in their conference and have shown nothing outside of their conference.

Splitting conference matchups and "almost" not losing to your conference champ twice doesn't seem like much to get excited about to me.

Anyway, I'm not trying to change your mind on the subject. We disagree. The next few weeks will settle the matter.

Evan

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

They played Gonzaga (when they had their best player), Michigan State, LSU (when they were top 10), Arkansas, Tennessee and Villanova. They were 2-5 in those games, but they are also a very young team (and all but one were on the road or neutral sites). They haven't lost a game by more than 5 points since early February. I'm not saying they're going to the Final Four, but I do believe you are being too dismissive of them.

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I know I'm not going to change your opinion, but anyone who watched those early season games knows this Texas team now is completely different and significantly improved. The Texas team that lost to MSU and Gonzaga would've lost by 25+ to Kansas in Allen Fieldhouse.

18. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Gonna go drop some cash on all four 11 seeds. 11-29 over the last 10 years. At least one of them should win, based on statistics. I've got to double-check the odds. woot 11 seeds!

19. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Because there's a lot of partisans to Texas on here, I want to comment on them: they play a beautiful brand of basketball, but even when up by 20 on Kansas yesterday, I knew it would slip away from them. Despite their poor record in close games, they are a genuinely clutch offensive team in crunch time, but just have a cloud of sh*t-for-luck on the defensive end that's followed them throughout the season The endings to the Tennessee and Oklahoma State games were demoralizing to watch, even as a neutral. Rick Barnes' facial expressions epitomize "befuddlement," and it's not indicative of bad coaching.

Sometimes a team experiences an abnormal amount of sh*t-for-luck, and Texas is one of those teams. I see it happening again in the Sweet 16 against UNC.

20. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

so are you saying these teams are better than the horns or just carolina?