1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NCAA Tourney Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Fatty FatBastard, Mar 11, 2007.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This is going to be a fun year. There isn't a consensus pick. I run the office pool at work. Typically, 80% of the entries get eliminated when 1 "favorite" gets knocked out. That is not the case this year.

I'm going...

Oregon (playing extremely well right now)
    Virginia Tech (does nothing but beat good teams)
    Ohio St. (Very strong right now, even when Oden isn't at his best)
    Texas (Kevin Durant, period.)

OSU over Oregon for the title.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Kansas State got screwed !

DD

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Drexel got it worse.

4. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Why do teams like Corpus Christi get in?

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Kept losing big games? What about the A&M game?

They lost one game to the most talented team in the country by four points at Allen Fieldhouse on Senior Day on a day when Kansas shot 57 percent from the field and Durant went down with an injury (and clearly wasn't the same when he came back). The second game, they were one free throw away from winning, again against a team more talented than any of their regional.

It's hard to somehow criticize them for performance in those two games. They played well above my expectations in both. Also, the surrounding talent (Augustin, James, Abrams, etc.) is significantly more talented relative to the college game than the Cleveland talent is relative to the NBA. Finally, LeBron isn't the best player in the NBA... he's up there, but there are plenty like him. In college ball, Durant is in a class by himself, and it's not even close. imo, the analogy isn't the best.

6. updawg

updawg Member

they won the southland conf tournament

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

A&M killed them, than UT squeaked by with 2 pts (4-4 against ranked teams). Kansas got them twice, and both times Durant ran out of gas at the end. Gonzaga took them pretty bad at home. They split with Oklahoma St.

Durant is phenomenal, but I personally do not believe that UT will beat deep teams in the tourney. Kansas may not have the hype, but they took down Florida in the regular season and their only loss to a ranked opponent was A&M by 3. That Texas lost two thrilling games shouldn't be that big of a booster going into the big games.

Texas does not make the Elite Eight. If they do, I'll drop $10 to the tip jar.

Evan

8. MadMax

do you have UT losing to USC in the 2nd round? or against UNC in the Sweet Sixteen?

i'm just not a Tarheel believer. Texas can beat KS. and I think KS is better than UNC.

9. updawg

updawg Member

it definitely depends on how tired UT gets (not just Durant) as to how far they go. DJ looked pretty spent yesterday, and it wasn't good when he was on the bench.

10. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Why is the Southland Conference allowed to have a team in the tournament ?

:]

11. updawg

updawg Member

Because its americas favorite conference.

12. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Elite eight -

Florida
    Notre Dame
    Kansas
    UCLA
    North Carolina
    Washington St.
    Ohio St.
    Texas A & M

Final Four -

North Carolina
    Ohio State
    Notre Dame
    Kansas

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Kept losing big games? I guess beating LSU, A&M, OK-State (twice), Tech (twice) doesn't mean a whole lot. This is a very young team that IMO can beat any team in the NCAA, I'm not saying they will, I'm just saying they are talented enough to.

As far as being a one man team, obviously Durant is an amazing player, but guys like DJ Augustin, Abrams, and James contribute a lot more to be considered a "one man team."

14. MadMax

Notre Dame is out in the first round, Brady. :D

15. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I also run the office pool at my job (I have had about 6 people ask me last week if I was still doing it as that shows how excited they are about the tourney this year).

My thoughts on the tourney this year goes like this:

Kansas State AND Syracuse got majorly screwed by the committee. KSU finished 4th in their conference (one of the better conferences in the country), won 10 conference games, won 20+ overall games, pasted Texas Tech in the Big 12 Tournament, beat Texas and USC, also won like 6 or 7 true road games, and lost to a #1 seed by only 6 points at a NEUTRAL site. I know that their RPI is not great, but they belonged over a team like Arkansas or Stanford. Same thing goes with Syracuse - they won 10 games in the Big East (another extremely strong conference), beat Georgetown (a #2 seed), Marquette, and Villanova to name a few. I know that they lost to Drexel but they performed better against the top teams in their conference unlike Drexel. The Dragons were 1-5 against VCU, ODU, and Hofstra. I don't understand why people like Vitale are going on and on about them getting screwed. Perform better against the teams in your conference that are ahead of you and you probably get in. That being said - I still think that not only KSU and Syracuse should have gotten in over Stanford and Arkansas but Drexel should have gotten in over those two teams, too. Okay, enough about that. My predictions:

Midwest:

Sweet 16 - Florida vs Maryland; Winthrop vs. Wisconsin
    Elite 8 - Florida vs. Wisconsin
    Final 4 team - Florida

Winthrop is a very dangerous team - they should be able to beat Notre Dame and Oregon (who doesn't impress me that much at all). Davidson should give Maryland everything they want. I would not be shocked to see Georgia Tech knock off Wisconsin but I am going with the Badgers (probably against my better judgment).

West:

Sweet 16 - Kansas vs. Southern Illinois; Duke vs. UCLA
    Elite 8 - Kansas vs. UCLA
    Final 4 team - Kansas

I have seen Kansas several times this season and they are by far the most deep and solid team in college basketball. They have like 4 subs who would be starters for most any team in the country. It just isn't fair the depth they have. I see Illinois upsetting Virginia Tech (one of the overrated teams in the ACC) and coming close to knocking off Southern Illinois. I don't think Duke is that good this year but I think they will have an easier time beating Pitt than their first round game. I am just not a big believer in the Panthers going far in the tournament. I think Gonzaga beats Indiana and gives UCLA everything they want. I know that the final will be out west but I feel that Kansas is just too much for UCLA.

East:

Sweet 16 - North Carolina vs. Texas; Oral Roberts vs. Georgetown
    Elite 8 - Texas vs. Georgetown
    Final 4 team - Georgetown

North Carolina, to me, is the weakest #1 seed in the tourney. I will be very surprised to see them make it to the final 4 because even though they are talented, they are just too inconsistent. I think USC handles Arkansas before getting blown out by Durant and Texas. I feel that Durant will be unstoppable against UNC. Oral Roberts might be the best team that no one knows about and I have them knocking off Washington State and then George Washington (after they upset Vandy). Georgetown is solid and they will be too much for the young Horns in the regional final.

South:

Sweet 16 - Ohio State vs. Tennessee; Texas A&M vs. Memphis
    Elite 8 - Ohio State vs. Texas A&M
    Final 4 team - Ohio State

This might be the only bracket where I don't have several upsets (I do have Creighton beating Nevada). I am gambling on Tennessee to get to the sweet 16 as they are a team that traditionally lays eggs in the tourney. I don't see A&M having a problem with Memphis as Memphis played no one this year (not their fault that their conference sucks). I know how great A&M's defense is and I was really torn to pick Ohio State over them but I think Oden will be too much for them. But of all my picks for the final 4, A&M is the one that I can easily see making it.

In the Final 4, I have Kansas beating Florida and Ohio State knocking off Georgetown. Then in the final, I have Kansas winning.

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Why does the Ivy League or the Metro Atlantic Athletic or the Big Sky or the Sun Belt, etc have teams in the tourney? It just is a requirement. I think every conference that plays Division I in the NCAA has their tournament champion getting an automatic bid to the tournament.

Oh and Notre Dame got screwed by playing Winthrop. I don't see the Irish beating Winthrop - sorry.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Right, right, forgot about LSU. Hey, help me out - where did they get seeded again? Been looking all over my bracket for them.
    :rolleyes:

I dig it that UT fans don't like my opinion on their chances. You don't have to.

Haven't decided yet, because I'm not sure if they'll be playing USC or Ark yet.

Evan

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Elite 8:

Maryland
    Wisconsin
    Kansas
    UCLA
    Texas
    Georgetown
    Ohio St.
    A&M

19. MadMax

Manny --

Oregon doesn't impress you?? Really? I think they're the best team no one is talking about.

20. Major

Major Member

You going to join us for any of the games this year?