1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NCAA Tournament Prospect Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Mar 17, 2022.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

He has a ton of holes that make him borderline. He cant shoot. He has terrible reads and struggles to pass out of the paint. not much of a shot blocker. can't guard in space. the modern era of nba guards would feast on him. 2nd round would be bet case scenario for him or latching on via summer league and playing into a spot

2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I’d be shocked if Hardy makes it out of the top 12. He has way too much talent. Wouldn’t shock me to see him end up going 6 after the consensus 5 once Sharpe enters. Star upside is tempting anywhere in the top 10 and he definitely has it.

Eason, Dieng, Hardy, Jovic or PBJ would be home runs at the Nets pick. Really hoping the Rockets don’t take a safe role player pick there

Corrosion likes this.
  3. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s a young team so the being out of position is to be expected …

The Rockets have looked very well coached when the Rockets want to be competitive and win a game

One player left at halftime and was disciplined (good try tho) Wood was also disciplined .. look at Miami and Jimmy Butler .. and they jill are known to have the strictest culture in NBA … people are human **** happens

Green is showing exactly what he’s supposed to because of how he was handled… but I’m 99.9% sure you haven’t listened to many if any of Silas interviews / postgames

4. Nook

Nook Member

I don't agree with you that the Rockets have looked disciplined or well coached.... they just haven't. John Hollinger even discussed it recently.

Kevin Porter threw something at his coach and left the stadium at half time and the discipline he received was crazy.

Kevin Porter also has given up on plays numerous times with little consequence.

Wood also refused to go back into the game after halftime and he received a slap on the wrist.

Also, if you want to give Silas credit for the #2 pick in the draft looking better, that is fine. I would point out that it is Lucas and Weaver that primarily work with Green, and that the offensive sets the Rockets run look like ass.... but you can take that.

Silas has been dealt a very tough hand, and he hasn't played it well either.

At least he stopped hanging his head though... so the body language has improved at a minimum.

He has another season before he is let go, at least that is my guess.

clos4life and saleem like this.
  5. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You just named 2 players that “Silas” has zero control over

1. KPJ is in contract year, Stone wants to see if he’s worth resigning or not …

2. Wood at some point in the season mostly likely went from being viewed as a cornerstone piece to a trade chip …

Just like Silas was told by upper management to tank …that then means he has to play rotations and let things that he most likely wouldn’t allow… go

here we are last 6 games of season in a very tricky position where we can’t even afford to win 1 more game … yet majority of folks on here been crying all season blaming Silas for Rockets loses or not playing a certain player enough minutes… look what happened when he does play those players a lot of minutes … we damn near win

6. Nook

Nook Member

We don't know if Stone is controlling the rotations or if it Silas..... because like everything else associated with the culture of this organization, there is no real accountability or clearly defined roles. Even when I ask people close to the situation, they don't know for sure.

So I don't know if upper management told Silas to tank, because if they did, then they did a poor job the last 10 days or so.

Wood doesn't play hard or smart. I have seen him a number of times refuse to switch when it has been called out and he allows easy buckets because he honestly just doesn't care. He should have been pulled from the game, and he wasn't and hasn't been.... that is on the coach.

I hope Silas does well, and the reality is that he was given a terrible situation and I am sure there is a part of him that knows that he could never get another job again after this so he wants to impress.... but thus far I have not been impressed at all.

Maybe he will look better next year with a more experienced team and a possible impact rookie coming in.

7. vator

vator Contributing Member

8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

He mentioned two guys that I've really started to like.

If we end up at 6 or 7 I'd roll the dice.

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

:p

My posts are so good I think I need a newsletter.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

The videos I’ve seen of him in high school were as impressive as anything I’ve seen from the top 4 guys in this class, but obviously the level of competition is much different. Still he looks like a man among boys. To me he looks like he could have point guard skills.

I’m not excited about drafting a combo guard. The best teams in the league actually have a point guard. There are those rare players that u can run an offense through but even guys like Doncic and Harden are better with a good point guard next to them.

guys like Maxey and Murray have made the transition to point guard. Maybe guys like Ivey and Sharpe can too. But there are certainly some questions regarding fit next to Green if we take one of those two. I’m personally of the belief that you want to take the best player available regardless of position and the rest will sort itself out.

treyk3 likes this.
  11. conquistador#11

So now we have one Frenchie and an Aussie that could sneak into the top 10. Which means they can go anywhere from 8-16 or push some of the other guys down to 8-16. I like it.

treyk3 and Aruba77 like this.
  12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I've been championing a list for possible guys who could fall to 16-18 depending where the pick is.

Dieng (mentioned) Dyson Daniels (mentioned) Patrick Baldwin Jr. and Nikola Jokic.

if it's 16 there are at least 13 guys who SHOULD go prior to that pick, which gives some clarity.

Top 5 is set: 1.Chet 2. Jabari 3. Paolo 4. Ivey 5. Sharpe (if enters)
    Then the next group of guys could likely go anywhere in this range and I believe will be gone before Brooklyn almost certainly.
    6. AJ Griffin 7. Keegan Murray 8. Ben Mathurin 9. Jalen Duren 10. Johnny Davis 11. Tari Eason 12. Sochan 13. Jaden Hardy.

There is a lot of variance in this draft and someone else will likely sneak it, they always do. Mark Williams is a candidate to sneak into that 6-13 range, which would be great IMO, I don't really want to get a role player type at that pick, I want to shoot for the stars and would also be ecstatic if Eason, Sochan or Hardy fall.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So did he throw something or actually threw something at his coach?

More than half the team has given up on plays every other night, and NBA players do it all the time, but somehow this is a KPJ problem?

You seem to have a certain way you want Players to play and act, but I can look at any game any night and see guys doing far worse than what KPJ has done, the fact that this one incident of giving up on a play has been blown up shows that he does not do it on a consistent basis.

I have seen knuckleheads in the NBA and Woods is a great example of a knucklehead, but for some reason KPJ gets all the flack when he is one of the guys who plays the hardest on the team and seems to actually give a dam.

As far as Silas I give him credit for the team still buying in and playing hard this far into the season, I don't know if he is a good coach but that is a plus.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Can someone explain the Sharpe situation?

He is not playing college ball for some reason, but is entering the draft? Or might not?

What is the calculus here?

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He had enough credits to graduate prior to the NBA season despite attending high school in the fall. He is old enough to enter draft. He was an early entrant to Kentucky in January of this year. Kentucky and he decided that it was best for him not to play this season.

With amount of money that he will get if he enters the draft, people suspect he will enter the draft.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

#1 high school recruit in the country. If the NBA still allowed players to jump from high school to the pros he’d go somewhere in the lotto in most drafts. In this weak draft he’s a potential early lotto pick.

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I didn't know Chad Ford was "leaving" the NBA, but this is a good listen :

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

How do you guys differentiate Jalen Duren vs. Mark Williams and their value? I'm seeing people saying Duren going as high as the top 6-8 while Williams was just outside the lottery (maybe he's moved up based upon his March Madness performance). But is there really a 10-pick'ish difference gap between the 2?

20. vator

vator Contributing Member

Banchero is a fan of KPJ and Jalen Green.

#1820 vator, Mar 31, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    Williamson likes this.