1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NCAA Tournament Prospect Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Mar 17, 2022.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think fit should be a concern. It shouldn't be the top priority, but it should be something that is discussed.

If you have two prospects who you view as roughly the same then I would fall back on fit. Of course of you have one guy above the other then you take the best player or the player with the higher upside.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'll be one of the first ones to admit that my college basketball knowledge pales in comparison to most of the members on here and I've only done research on Holmgren and Smith as they've been touted as the top best prospects in the upcoming draft. I don't have a bias against Banchero (aside from that DWI). On the surface he looks like a Blake Griffin type of player which is very very good considering Blake was one of the top 10-15ish players when he was actually healthy. I think the one thing that sways me at this point in leaning towards Smith/Holmgren over Banchero is their respective defensive potential/floor in the NBA. If things work out the way we all hope, Jalen can carry the bulk of the scoring load for this team. We need that next cornerstone/block to be our 2nd scoring option but it would also be nice if that player is also our best or 2nd best defender and that's where Holmgren and Smith comes in.

Maybe I need to research Banchero and realize his defense might be just as good as Smith's. Who knows?

Corrosion and i3artow i3aller like this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

That's fair. Although I think the point was to show what Jabari wasn't doing. He may very well be first in 3PA among top 5 picks for the last 10 years, but he's also last in 2p% among top 5 picks in the last 10 years. We all know he is an elite 3pt shooter, but when discussing going first in the NBA draft it is a little concerning how little he scores outside of 3pt range or inside in the paint.

jiggyfly and Corrosion like this.
  4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

this is going to be one of the most intrguing drafts in a while. i say this because all the top 4 guys skillsets are so varied and it really will depend on the order. there is no true #1 and BPA won't really matter as much as the fit.

Example : Banchero would fit amazing in OKC. Smith would look great in Detroit. And as much as it pains me to say this, Chet would be a pretty nice fit here in Houston...

5. steddinotayto

Yea I think if Detroit is able to take Smith they'll be back in the playoffs by 2024. Smith's 3PT shooting offsets Cade's lackluster range while Cade's playmaking abilities should get Smith open looks anywhere on the court.

6. Nook

Nook Member

It only took Chad Ford 3 months to see what has been obvious... that Jaden Ivey is the truth.... he has been clearly one of the 2-3 players in this draft for many months. Further, for all the talk about Jabari Smith being close to a guaranteed good player, he isn't as near a guarantee as Jaden Ivey..... the athleticism, body control and foot speed to the corner translate anywhere, and with the better spacing in the NBA Ivey is going to be at a minimum very good if not great.

Chet is the #1 pick in this draft for me because defensively he is a monster, and he has a lot of potential offensively..... but Ivey is the guy that is most likely to be the best player in this draft in 5 years, and if Smith or Banchero go before Ivey, there will be a lot of people probably scratching their head wondering why down the line.

I will be very pumped if the Rockets end up with a backcourt of Ivey and Green..... they also both are very solid people off the court and work very hard...

jiggyfly, BigMaloe, Corrosion and 6 others like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Smith takes a LOT of very hard mid range shots....

jiggyfly and steddinotayto like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Kevin Durant was a VASTLY superior offensive player in college compared to Chet Holmgren.

The only valid comparison is that both were very thin as freshman and both are very talented.

9. steddinotayto

Yea and that definitely explains his lackluster 2pt FG%. When he faces up inside the 3 he's almost automatic; it's those backspin fadeaway jumpers that makes you think "what's this kid doing?" He'll have to either get amazingly great at it in the NBA or just remove it completely and replace it with something more efficient.

Nook likes this.
  10. steddinotayto

Durant lit the entire NCAA on fire. He was so unbelievable.

topfive, vator and Nook like this.
  11. H. Christopher

NBAdraft.net has Ivey going #1 and Chet #4 :eek::eek:
    That site has really fallen

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  12. steddinotayto

Funny thing I just saw when looking at Durant's info at UT. Dude was listed as 190lbs coming out of high school and weighed in at 215 at the NBA combine. Chet's listed weight out of high school is 195 lbs. Perhaps by the combine he'll be around 210-215? Would that assuage the fears of some on here about his slender build?

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Cade's lackluster range? I thought Cade was one of the most polished shooters coming out of college. Yes, he's only shooting 32.1% from deep currently but I expect that to improve in future seasons.

BigMaloe, Hemingway, Reeko and 3 others like this.
  14. steddinotayto

IIRC his 3pt shot coming out of high school wasn't good. He then turned in an very good shooting freshman season at OK State, which helped him move up the draft boards. There were some skeptics that didn't know if that was going to carry over into the NBA. You're right; Cunningham could improve on his % moving forward but I think if you had to pick either Cade or Jabari to take the 3 for your team you'll take the latter.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I think the Blake comparison is pretty good, though high end. Blake was an A+ athlete even by nba standards. banchero isn't dunking over a car anytime soon. I think a good median outcome comparison for him is like a randle or Tobias. and lets just hope its not jabari Parker or Michael beasley.

I agree that I'd also like our next cornerstone to be our best or second best defender. I think chet or jabari are that... but can they become the second best scoring option too? or are they really just play finishers and not initiators? ivey seems the most well rounded although I think chet has the highest ceiling and is why I still have him by a hair over the others.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Durant pretty much maintained his frame, and he hardly plays PF and C..........

steddinotayto likes this.
  17. steddinotayto

It's just wishful thinking on my part though Chet's body isn't a deterrent for me from taking him 1st.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

the fears about his build are getting overblown like it was for Mobley

Mobley still looks like he could be used as the bar during bench press, and he’s about to win ROY

pretty sure Mobley’s weight was listed at 215 too

19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think fit is vastly underrated. You want the player to be able to succeed. Even if the team is mostly replaceable or unproven you have to consider what will make guys good.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

How tall was Durant in high school? I thought he was 6'9" or 6'10" coming into the league, but maybe I'm mistaken.