1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NCAA Tournament Prospect Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Mar 17, 2022.

1. i3artow i3aller

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

There is only one response to those Paulo haters:

And all at once
    You're ready to hang it up
    'Cause things didn't turn out
    The way you planned, no

And all your friends
    They calling you a fool
    'Cause you don't know
    A good thing when you've
    Got it in your hand

3. Milos

Milos Member

No worries
    Mark Eaton visited me in a dream last night

He was brief, but definitely confirmed Paulo is destined for OKC

Also, despite being intentionally vague and refusing to come right out and say it ...

He strongly intimated our starting F tandem next season will be Jabari & Tari

Somebody will tweet their new couple name 'Jatari' and it will stick

Also, Porter will be released right before summer league starts when he is caught trying to upper deck a coach's personal office commode

4. Nook

Nook Member

Not really a surprise to me... why the argument concerning quality of competition on the top draft picks is way overblown IMO.

Chet Holmgren and Jaden Ivey both have to deal with terrible spacing because of big men on the floor that are directly wired into the offense inside. It is especially bad for Jaden Ivey on that account... it really suppresses offensive skills.... then the actual roles for all of the top guys are different and do not necessarily reflect what they are good or not good at.

There is a lot of variables that go into all of this.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup no surprise to me. That's why when folks want to say Chet had some weak competition because of the WCC just isn't true. It's just a lazy take. Their non conference schedule was extremely tough and the WCC top 5 teams are all very good. Teams like Duke who are in the big bad ACC had a significantly weak schedule

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

because when people point out that there are questions about Banchero's perimeter defense people look at him being 6'10/250 and say he can guard the post. but without being a rim protector he probably won't be spending much time at the 5 either unless its a small ball lineup... meaning the questions about his perimeter defense are legitimate because he will have to play there.

I disagree about smith's dribbling. I think guys can learn skills like dribbling/passing. we've seen Jalen improve there this year. I don't think guys can improve their standing reach, vertical (by much) or lateral quickness (by much).

chet not being able to guard 3's is less important than banchero because we know chet can defend the rim, giving him somewhere on the court where he can play defense. whereas with banchero the question is where can he play defense except for PF-only type players.

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

Yep, and as I mentioned earlier, Tech’s scheme is based around letting the top player get theirs (at least from the perimeter) and locking down everyone else.

I don’t know if the game against Tech will tell us much about Banchero.

Corrosion and Nook like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have no problem questioning his perrimeter defense because he will probably play mostly on the perimeter, but that has nothing to do with him being a rim protector, one does not flip flop to another.

Not many 4's are rim protectors, so why is he being judged as one?

You have seen Jalen improve, not begin the year as a non dribbler and then advance to what he is now, Smith does not dribble much at all which is a huge difference.

We do not know if Chet can guard the rim in the pros to a high degree and he will not be asked to play like a center so yes he will be asked to guard much more on the perimeter.

Just because you think guys can learn those skills does not make it so, why has he not learned them up to this point, we are talking about a non dribbler. not a weak dribbler.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I try to watch as much Gonzaga basketball as possible - usually when they play the good teams and more often than not Im left wanting more from Chet. I go into the games ready to see the hype and apart from the first tourney game vs the blind brothers of Alabama - he hasnt done much. Its been a pattern of Chet just being a guy vs good teams and good opponents. I dont see Chet backing down anyone in the post and his footwork there can be pretty cringe. He's just not built to bang. On defense he does better because all he needs to do is just stretch out his arm if he's not getting his chest sunk in by the offensive player. Chet has a nice 3 point stroke. Ok as a passer, but to say he's a fantastic distributor is a stretch, but again its your own perception of him as a player and thats ok. If you really cant see that Banchero is more of a legit #1 option in the NBA over Chet then we're too far apart to reach a compromise and we'll just have to see how it shakes out. I would be fine with Chet on this team because he offers things the Rockets need. He would hit open shots and defend the paint, but you wont be giving the ball to Chet and asking him to win games because he's not that type of player (yet - if ever). Just my subjective opinion - not trying to promote my view as being "right" - appreciate the dialogue!

Corrosion likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Plus, Chet won’t have any issues guarding on the perimeter.
    It’s lazy talk to try and find a negative, he’s an elite defender at all levels.

Corrosion likes this.
  11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

He's an absolute game changer on the defensive end. Guys who would drive in otherwise just don't. That's his floor.

There is no sure thing in this draft. Chet's floor is why I'm good with the Rockets using their pick on him.

Nook, BigMaloe, Corrosion and 3 others like this.
  12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I look at Chet’s body and just can’t imagine it being able to take the banging of the nba.

I do think he’s incredibly talented but flashbacks from Yao give me heartburn. Doesn’t make a difference how good they are if they aren’t on the floor.

jabari has a great body. A beautiful shot. Is a solid defender and profiles as a plus defender in the nba. Improving dribble drive and post moves are absolutely skills that can be taught/ improved at the next level. He can play your 4 or 5 - and you won’t have to pull him off the court due to matchup problems. Add in the health risk profile for bones McGee and it’s a no brainer

Milos and Crashlanded19 like this.
  13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yao's problems staying on the court were because he was 7'6". HIs problems weren't from banging but from the mere physics of being a guy who is 7'4" or taller...every one of those guys in NBA history has seen, at the very least, limited minutes at age 30. I had allllll kinds of problems with extending Yao, and I was really vocal about it here. It didn't make sense but for Les' opportunities in China that weren't basketball related that would never have been presented to him but for Yao. But Chet is 19 and he's not taller than 7'4." I'm not concerned with that.

Jabari shoots 43% from 2. FROM 2!!! He would be dead last in shooting percentage among the top 5 players picked in any draft over the last 10 seasons. I don't care how pretty his shot looks, it doesn't go in. He can certainly improve that, but if he doesn't, what are you left with?

14. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

You coach him into getting to his spots and getting his shots. His touch and form from the outside are highly indicative of someone who can shoot well from closer in to the basket.

the college game is more guard oriented.

but to answer your question - what you’d be left with if his interior game sucked - Ryan Anderson with defense.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Chet’s WAYYYYYYYYY OVERATED on this board. He is a toothpick and toothpicks in the NBA get broke. Ivey is clear #1 pick this year. Like Smith because of his size, but not a dominant offensive player. Blanchero is growing on me and could pass Smith based on individual workouts.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  17. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

There you have it. Everybody is a #1 pick. We can't lose ... unless we stop losing.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Ja morant looks like he got broke. KD looks like he got broke. Gobert looks like he got broke.

Oh wait

Nook and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

BI, Prince, AD too