1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NCAA Tournament Prospect Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Mar 17, 2022.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Steve Smith, Damon Stoudamire and Scotty Pippen, Bonzi Wells were all as important players,and could be considered more important teams, they were very deep.

Maybe bust was a bit harsh, but he was considered a disappointment until his 5th year in Portland, you forget he was picked over Garnett #4.

That Portland team was very deep and the leaders of those teams where the guards Smith, Stoudamire and Wells.

2. vator

vator Contributing Member

Yes sir!!

Help me keep pushing this Jaden Ivey agenda brother!

People occasionally insinuate that posters dump on KPJ because they don't want another guard to outshine Jalen Green and take touches away from him. I can speak for myself that this couldn't be further from the truth. How could it be when I'm unabashedly advocating selecting what I believe to be the most dynamic player in this draft who has the best chance of actually being a star-level player even though I know we NEED height?

A guy in Jaden Ivey that would absolutely take touches away from Jalen Green because he is a combo guard. A player that I would advocate being the primary ballhandler because he's actually good, and I'd be perfectly content with JG being the secondary playmaker with Ivey initiating 60-70% of the time. A guard that would likely have just as many highlights reel plays because he and JG both have electric athleticism and attack the paint. They make things happen.

No, the real reason I want KPJ as the starting small forward or off the bench is I just don't think KPJ plays point guard with a pace conducive for winning, I don't think he goes to the basket enough to be a point guard, I don't think he is a leader, and basketball aside, I just don't think you can rely on him because of his emotional and mental health issues.

We can address height and defense with our later draft pick and free agency. You have a dynamic young backcourt that you can build around.

3. StrawberryJamm

Juwan Howard looking good.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

He doesn't and probably won't other than in some situational small ball lineups.

Forget about him playing the 5, we addressed that above.

You see him as a 3 or 4 - pretty much how I see him too. Question is - which can he defend? Is he quick enough to defend NBA 3's ? Or is he only capable of defending 4's.

What about pick and roll defense?

Green is irrelevant, I think most of us expected him to struggle defensively.

Holmgren guarding 3's is also irrelevant - he's a 5/4 not a 3/4 we know he'll spend most of his time defending 4's & 5's. And he's very good against the pick and roll.

I don't think it's so much the lack of rim protection trumping the weaknesses of the others as it is that Banchero doesn't really do any one thing at an exceptional level. He's pretty good at everything but tell me , what is he great at?

If you ask that about Chet its his impact on the defensive end along with his shooting.

If you ask that about Jabari its his shooting that stands out & he's the prototype explosive athlete too.

Banchero isn't "great" at any one thing and isn't the explosive athlete ... but solid at most things. He'll probably have a long career in the league, just not a "superstar".

Total agreement here, I brought up Jabari's hands / handles in another thread a couple weeks ago.

Still, making the statement that Banchero isn't a rim protector is factual. Asking him to be is playing him out of position.
    But - in comparing apples to oranges, the other two have the potential to protect the rim, Chet because of his length & instincts and Jabari because of the athleticism.

If we ended up with the 4th or 5th pick I'd be happy to walk away with Banchero. I just think Chet is the best talent in this draft followed by Ivey. Then choosing between Paolo & Jabari one has a higher ceiling while the other has a higher floor - I have to gamble on the upside with Jabari.

So 1 Chet 2 Ivey 3 Jabari .... after that I think the high floor of Banchero is hard to pass on, the wildcard being Shaedon Sharpe who could easily turn out to be the best player in this draft (assuming he doesn't stay in school).

cmoak1982 likes this.
  5. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

put me on ignore as I will you. your posts add nothing to the thread and are only shots at others instead of engaging in discussion.

take your from jiggyfly with you.

htownrox1 likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

when stupid posts are constantly flying, its best to correct them especially when they're so inaccurate. The less dumb the better

what did you add? claiming sheed a borderline superstar when he was never near that and claiming he was the best pistons player when he clearly wasn't adds absolutely nothing but false nonsense

post better and you wouldn't have that problem

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How are those guys defensive questions irrelevant but Banchero's defensive questions dropping him out of the top 5?

You think Holmgrens being able to guard 4's and 5's irrelevant?

Thanks for making my point.

Banchero's offensive impact is as great as Holmgrens defensive impact and we don't know if his defensive impact will translate into the NBA because he will not be asked to guard anybody in the post and will not be able to roam weakside as much.

It's a lot different blocking guys from the weakside in the WCC than in the NBA.

And again, why do we care about rim protection when nobody in the last 10 years has been drafted in the top 5 because of rim protection.

How does Jabari have a higher ceiling when he can't dribble or be given the ball to make a play in crunchtime?

So once again you are making my point for me, why do these guys have higher ceilings when Paolo has 3 level offensive ability that is way above the other guys?

Rim protection?

#847 jiggyfly, Mar 22, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    CHAMPBOY and Verbal Christ like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So now I need to put you on ignore because you can't back up your argument?

Weak sauce my guy.

groovemachine likes this.
  9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I do think he can play the 4 ..... I just wonder if you can play him anywhere else.

He's probably too slow to defend wings and I'm not sure he's able to defend the 5 either. The size is there but is the want to .... because he's not an explosive athlete or exceptionally long, he'll have to defend with position and high effort .... We haven't seen that on the defensive end from him.

I don't think he fits well with Sengun either - neither of them are good enough shooters, Banchero 31% from NCAA distance and Sengun 24.5% in the NBA and they would be abysmal defensively together ... Segun isn't a natural 5, he'll ultimately develop a 3 point shot and play the 4 or he won't last in the NBA.

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm on the same page as you, Chet or Ivey for their high ceilings. I like how Chet's game fits the modern game to a T, but there is legitimate concern about his weight. Chris Boucher has a lot of the same strengths (shot blocking, mobility, range, rebounding, finishing), but he gets outmuscled on a nightly basis.

Not sure why Banchero isn't an NBA 4, he's the prototypical PF. IMO, he could be anything from Marcus Morris to Detroit Blake Griffin (all-star) or Julius Randle. Banchero has a very similar play style to Tobias Harris at Tennessee, who was also considered a tweener. Harris was able to improve on his percentages and efficiency across the board on the next level and while he isn't a lock down defender, the concerns about his ability to guard the perimeter were overblown. I'm not a fan of Banchero's current shot selection in the modern NBA, but it's hard not to appreciate the sheer variety of moves he has. He just needs refinement.

The thing that irks me is that Jabari is projected based on what he might eventually become whereas Banchero is often judged by his current limitations. They're both one and dones, so why the double standard? People drastically overrate athleticism over skill.

#850 MrButtocks, Mar 22, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
    Nook, jiggyfly and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. i3artow i3aller

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Cool. You are entitled to your opinions. Will be interesting to see the rest of the tourney and how these prospects differentiate themselves from one another. Houston would be fine with any of the guys mentioned at the top of the draft.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

agree with your take on KPJ and I think Ivey could easily end up being the best player in this draft. He has the skills to play point guard in the nba, but even if he isn’t a point guard, he’s going to be an impact player. There is no one on the rockets that should prevent us from taking Ivey if he’s the best player available when we pick. I do think Ivey and Green could be a very dynamic backcourt. I think KPJ needs to come off the bench if he continues with the team.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He can definitley play the 4 if you watch any game you can see that he can guard the 4, why does it matter if he can guard a % since he should never be asked to that.

You know who else you should have questions about there abilty to guard the 4 and the 5, Chet Holngren both Memphis big men had good games against Holmgern and one guy doubled his ppg against him.

Thanks for illustrating the point I was making ealier, why are these questions not being asked about Holmgren the guy who will be asked to play in the paint on defnse much more than Banchero.

Sengun should have no bearing on who we draft he can't even stop fouling yet and banchero is hands down a better player if sengun can't play with a guy like Banchero who has all of Senguns skillset without the passing flair then Sengun is not the guy that should be considered a staple.

With a team this bad a devoid of talent you draft the best player period because nobody on this team has proven jack **** and yes that even means Green if you think Ivey is the BPA.

Your last sentence says it all but yet you want to draft for fit when you don't even know if he is a legitimate NBA player.

Would you take Sengun straight up over Banchero? If not then you don't draft the lesser guy just because he fits better next to an unproven rookie.

Do you feel the same way about Ivey and Green?

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Banchero is not better than Sengun.

And did you miss the on/off defensive splits for Chet against Memphis?

cbass and clutchdabear like this.
  16. H. Christopher

Chet please.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I do not want Chet or Jabari because Chet did do well against Memphis defensively but can he keep that up for 82 games? He keep failing awkwardly on the floor and he is very skinny you have to be concerned about his health. Jabari will a great shooter and athletic but no handles…most defenders are going to be in his face when he gets the ball because he cannot dribble. Pablo and Sengun would be great because both are IQ players with Sengun being a elite passer and Pablo with his play making abilities. He has great handles. Both are 6’10 and around 245 pounds so they can MAN the inside. We would need a rotational big to be a rim protector.

Ivey, Jalen and Porter would be crazy effective in a 5 out offense. These guys would create crazy space for this team we would just need to get rim protectors in free agency.

Ivey or Bancheros is the two players for me in this draft and would be either a Batman or Robin with Jalen. I think Jalen is going to be a Superstar and Ivey would be a Star and Bancheros would be a Star in the league as well. If we draft Ivey, I would make him the PG and Porter the SF for the team and if Porter does not like this he can move on. We need to get rid of Wood, Gordon and Tate and hopefully we can get another 1st round pick this year

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I didn't think it was possible just a couple of weeks ago, but I can see Ivey being the first guy taken in the draft.

He's jumped Paolo and Jabari for me.

Chet is still my top guy and I think him and Sengun would make a good front court pairing.

19. Salvy

Salvy Member

Just feeling really down after the win yesterday, don't even care about this anymore....

20. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Great post, but who’s Pablo? ;)

jiggyfly likes this.