1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NCAA Tournament Prospect Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Mar 17, 2022.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

The more it looks like Banchero and Eason (fingers crossed) are Rockets first 2 picks the more I'm leaning to high upside projects for #26.

I'm really intrigued by 7'0 wing John Butler.

I understand he is a most likely a SRP but he shot 39% from 3P but even more effective in C&S especially from corners where he is +40%.

Butler is also super switchable and his college employs full court press and switch heavy half court defense.

But needs to gain weight and strength, only 175.

NIKEstrad, treyk3 and groovemachine like this.
  3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Wait Wendell Moore averaged 4.4 assists and shot 41% from 3? Plays defense too. How is this wing not getting more run?

his size I guess, or maybe his age.

#4863 Aruba77, Jun 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  4. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Trade back for a 2nd this year and future first, draft Butler. :cool:

D-rock likes this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Vaccinated Johnathan Isaac.

snowconeman22, Fullcourt and D-rock like this.
  6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I prefer a less-injury prone Jonathan Isaac but I get what you mean lol

D-rock and treyk3 like this.
  7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Kneeling Jonathan Isaac

Fullcourt, D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, he was getting some attention around the time of the combine and he does have some skills that translate to the modern game. He is a guy that didn't just shoot a high % on 3's, but is a naturally very good shooter. He also is fairly mobile. I think he should have gone back to school but he may have a promise. There are at least 4-5 teams interested.

My concern with him is that I think he is probably a 4 in the NBA.

pippendagimp and D-rock like this.
  9. i3artow i3aller

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not stuck on positions for this rebuilding and increasingly positionless Rockets team.

If Butler is 4 then spacing works for Rockets as Butler is money from corners AND Banchero prefers to play at top of arc (so do KPJ and Green).

#4870 D-rock, Jun 22, 2022
    groovemachine likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

12. Nook

Nook Member

I like Butler. I only say he is a 4 because it does somewhat limit him on the floor defensively. He could play heavy minutes possibly but you have to be careful who you have around him.

D-rock likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

No way John Butler weighs 190. He looks like a black Chet Holmgren with anorexia! For a tall guy his wingspan is not very impressive for those who covet length. That free throw shooting is downright scary. Nothing about his stat sheets pops. I dont see it.

Im more intrigued by Leonard Miller as a tall, lanky prospect. (yes I know he withdrew from this years draft)

15. Spooner

Spooner Member

16. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Oh Jonathan Isaac DOES kneel!
    Just not to what/who everyone else does! :cool:

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I still say, Billy Joel's b*stard son.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Coach supports his players. More at 10.
    ;)

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.co...down-chet-holmgren-2022-nba-draft/7702642001/

Auburn men's basketball head coach Bruce Pearl did an interview Wednesday on the "McElroy and Cubelic in the Morning" radio show ahead of the 2022 NBA Draft on Thursday.

Pearl had high praise for Auburn players Jabari Smith and Walker Kessler entering the NBA Draft. He also praised Duke product Paolo Banchero.

His words weren't so kind for Gonzaga 7-footer Chet Holmgren, who is the projected No. 2 pick by USA Today.

Pearl's comments about Holmgren came in response to Greg McElroy asking him who he'd take No. 2 after Jabari Smith. Pearl went with Banchero.

"Chet's intriguing, but so was Shawn Bradley," Pearl said referring to the Philadelphia 76ers No. 2 overall pick in the 1993 NBA Draft.

"The NBA stands for No Boys Allowed," Pearl said continuing to talk about Holmgren. "And that body scares me. It just does. He goes knee-to-knee with the wrong guy, and he could get broken in half. Therefore at the very top of the draft, I think I got to go with what I know, not what could potentially could maybe someday be."

Prior to Pearl talking about Holmgren, Cole Cubelic asked Pearl to talk about how Jabari Smith competes behind the scenes.

"I don't think there's a concern there," Pearl said of Smith's competitiveness. "I think the question speaks to, I think, the No. 1 reason why you take him No. 1. Absolutely the jump shot is the best from any man his size in the last 10 years in college basketball — all the way to KD (Kevin Durant) maybe. That's pure and that translates. That's productivity right away.

"The second thing is he can guard one through five, because he does compete defensively," Pearl continued about Smith. "The No. 1 reason is the kid doesn't lose. That's No. 1. He doesn't lose."

USA Today projects Walker Kessler to be the No. 25 pick in the 2022 NBA Draft. Here is what Pearl said about Kessler on Wednesday.

"He's an amazing athlete," Pearl said. "People don't talk about his athleticism, his speed, his quickness, his ability to move laterally — obviously his ability to elevate. And he's not 7-foot. He's 7-1 and a little bit. And an inch and a half make a big, big difference. So obviously, he's able to impact the game. I thought he was the most impactful player in college basketball last year, because of what he did at the rim both offensively and defensively."

Pearl talked about Kessler for a couple of minutes, and he ended by comparing him to Boston Celtics forward and former Florida Gators national champion Al Horford along with NBA centers Brook and Robin Lopez.

"I think he's going to be a dominating 3-point shooter at the next level," Pearl said of Kessler. "Al Horford never made a three at Florida, never made a three at Florida, and he's one of the better stretch fives in the NBA at his age. Walker is ahead of him. He could be like one of the Lopez twins — a factor at the rim and a factor at the 3-point line."

https://omny.fm/shows/mcelroy-and-c...-pearl-on-jabari-smiths-nba-future-plus-a-div

(8:25) “Jabari Smith is the glue that will help that team (Orlando) win.”

(8:47) “When he does lose, he’s wearing it. He’s miserable. When he does win, he smiles and doesn’t mind reminding you that he just beat your ass.”

(9:43) “Who would you take number two? — I’d take Pablo. I do think he was the best player in high school and was for a couple years. He was a man amongst boys and had a really good year at Duke. He is a consistent jump shot away from being a NBA all-star type player but I think he’ll be a very productive pro and got a very strong mindset.

(10:33) Chet comments

(11:32) Kessler comments

#4878 J.R., Jun 22, 2022
    D-rock and i3artow i3aller like this.
  19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Cap Question: Can you draft and stash a first rounder? I know they have guaranteed contracts, but can you defer the contract start and keep roster spots open?

20. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

It’s a long shot that they draft at both 17 and 26, Stone is really laying it out there that they want to move up and/or out with those picks.

D-rock likes this.