1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NCAA Tournament Prospect Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Mar 17, 2022.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who was he schemed off the court against?

Most college teams don't run that many pick and roles and don't have those types of players to scheme anybody off the court.

I am highly dubious about this, Duke played with a true C 90% of the time.

2. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I'll have to see if I can find the article that listed the team(s).
    It was from a major outlet/source but I can't remember exactly which right offhand.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I get that Gs/Boston/Miami are having all this success w/ smaller guys but I still think there is a place on a team for a guy that can be an efficient PnR/Rim runner tpe of big. He must be able to play a bit of D on the perimeter and rebound at an elite level. That guy may play 30 min or 10 min during the playoffs but I think to have that in your offensive capabilities is good.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok cool.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Williams isn't particularly quick on his feet, and doesn't have a jumper to speak of, but he's a very good big "traditional" center. I watched Banchero funnel an opponent (yes, he was playing defense) he was guarding into Williams more than once, end result being a missed shot because it was blocked or altered, and once there was a turnover because the guy tried to pass out of the wall he was facing in the post. I prefer Duren, myself, but both are either out of reach, or not someone we want to select where they're likely to be.

D-rock and Verbal Christ like this.
  6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Clutch had some interesting intel in the spaces tonight. Apparently Houston isn’t supremely confident in who will be there at 3, whoever we get at 3 changes our big board for the later picks, and Stone likes fellow Seattle boys Eason and Beauchamp a lot.

D-rock, zeeshan2, Deckard and 3 others like this.
  7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

That’s cool if it’s coincidental as long as he’s not evaluating with a hometown bias.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Wow that is pretty big intel. I’ve always thought there was a legit chance Paolo could go #2, especially if Chet goes #1. Even though the Vegas odds are pretty clear, I think Houston has a real chance at Jabari at #3. I don’t think we have a chance at Chet but I do Jabari.

9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t believe a word any of these front offices say at this point. They are all throwing up smoke screens to give them as much flexibility as possible or get the guy they want. They all talk in vague innuendo in order to sow doubt around the league. I doubt it’s real effective since they all know it’s being done. This draft is heavy in 3-D guys and that is just what the doctor ordered for the Rockets. I’m sure Stone is trying like hell to move up from 17 and 26, but is happy to take whoever drops to 3.

D-rock and Aruba77 like this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

You/They may like one of these guys more than the other but I am supremely confident in who will be there at 3.

Paolo Banchero
    Jaden Ivey
    Chet Holmgren
    Jabari Smith

2 of those 4 will be there.

I don’t believe any of the silly season rumors.

Oh the Magic might take Paolo!
    Oh the the Thunder might take Paolo!
    The Thunder might take Ivey!

Oh Cade had a “bad workout” with the Pistons! The Pistons were really impressed with Green! Pistons could very well take Green!

:rolleyes:

D-rock, Bo6, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Scouts’ brutally candid takes on the top 50 draft prospects (— Via Seth Davis)

• For all the speculation as to who will be selected with the No. 1 pick, there was no debate among my scouts. Every single one said they would take Jabari Smith, and all but one said they would take Chet Holmgren second. So much for draft night suspense.

Paolo Banchero, 6-10 freshman forward, Duke. “There’s a lot to like there, but rebounding is a big concern, and so is his activity as a shot blocker. You don’t see that knack for finding the ball, but you also didn’t see it with Bam Adebayo when he was coming out. He’s going to try to play the three, but he’s more of a four. He’s not a freak athlete, but he’s big and strong. I worry he’ll get seduced with showing he can handle and pass. With a body like that, he should be around the rim more. I’m not sure his upside is as high as the other guys at the top of the draft. He’s a good player, but I don’t think he’s a franchise guy. His shooting range is a little bit uncertain.”

Jalen Duren, 6-11 freshman forward, Memphis. “Man-child. Freak of nature. Eighteen-year-old kids shouldn’t look like him. His motor isn’t great and his numbers were up and down, which has to do with not being in shape. It was hard to tell because they were such a screwed-up team. Some nights he dominated the game, sometimes he wasn’t a factor. He’s a legitimate lob threat, and he can play in the short roll. He was amazing at his pro day. He was trying to rip the rim off, and he was making shots out to 17 feet.”

Tari Eason, 6-8 sophomore forward, LSU. “One of the highest upsides in the draft. He’s really really talented. Shot it well this year, although he’s got a little bit of a shotput motion. His versatility makes him appealing. Big-time athletic defender. You can put him on an island. He’s gonna struggle in the halfcourt. The 3-point shooting has got to really improve. He shoots 80 percent from the foul line, so that tells you he has a chance to be a decent shooter. He fouls too much. I question his basketball IQ. He just goes off instincts.”

A.J. Griffin, 6-6 freshman guard, Duke. “There’s a lot to like there. Really good shooter. Strong. The question would be his ability to create his own shot off the bounce. He took a lot of catch-and-shoots. The jury is still out on him defensively. People forget he missed almost two years of high school, then he got hurt at Duke. He’s a 45 percent 3-point shooter. He’s not a put-the-ball-on-the-floor type guy. He’s a good-shot-fake, one-dribble pullup guy. The fact that he can shoot the ball is gonna have a lot of value. He’s a young kid, doesn’t turn 19 until August. Don’t ever see him being an All-Star, but he’s a solid NBA player. He’s like a Reggie Bullock.”

Chet Holmgren, 7-1 freshman forward, Gonzaga. “He could potentially change the game. The concern is the body, obviously, but he’s got toughness to him. You can elbow him and he’s coming back at you. He does literally everything. He can shoot, can pass, handles well for his size. He’ll get a lot of clean looks from three because he’ll be guarded by fours and fives. He’ll shoot in the pick-and-pop and get a lot of trail 3s. There haven’t been a lot of guys that look like him physically, so you worry about his durability. Tiny hips, tiny shoulders, so I don’t know how much his body will fill out. Guys never seem to get a clean hit on him. He shot 73 percent from 2 and 39 percent from 3. What he does defensively is unprecedented. He’s an unbelievable weak side shot blocker.”

Jaden Ivey, 6-4 sophomore guard, Purdue. “Best athlete in the draft. He has an explosiveness like Russell Westbrook or John Wall. He’s gonna be able to get downhill at will. He was able to bail himself out at the college level, although I’m not sure that works up here. He puts so much pressure on the defense with his speed. He’s not a great shooter, but he’s improved. People want to know if he can be a full-time point guard because he played a lot off the ball. The one concern would be lack of ball skills. He’s not a point guard, but man, he’s so athletic. Those guys succeed. He’ll be a better NBA player than college player.”

E.J. Liddell, 6-7 junior forward, Ohio State. “Solid player. Shooting is the biggest hurdle for him, although his numbers say otherwise. He’s got kind of a push shot. He knows how to play and understands how to win. He’s a Swiss army knife at the four who does a lot of productive things. Defensively is where he will make his mark. He’s active as a shot-blocker and on the glass. He’s gonna be like a Grant Williams. An all-time great kid. He had 12 percent body fat at the combine, which is worrying. I don’t know who he guards at the four and five. He’s not bouncy, but he can really rebound and has great timing defensively.”

Shaedon Sharpe, 6-6 freshman guard, Kentucky. “He’s a risk. If you watched his pro day, you’d think he was top three. He didn’t miss, and he took some tough shots. I love his size, I love his athleticism. He’s a great kid with high character. I wonder if he’s too nice. He’s an elite athlete and really good shooter. Those usually make for good NBA players. He and Jaden Ivey are the two best athletes in the draft. Somebody will pick him high because he was the No. 1 player in his class. You can look at the history of those guys, and very few of them have failed. If you’re a GM who’s not worried about getting fired, he’s worth the gamble.”

Jeremy Sochan, 6-9 freshman forward, Baylor. “Good player. Checks a lot of boxes. Perimeter shooting is a concern, but he can switch out on defense. He has a lot of what the NBA is looking for. Love his versatility. His shot isn’t mechanically dysfunctional. High IQ guy, very good defender. I think he can defend wings. His free throw percentage is terrible (59 percent), so that’s scary. If he was a great shooter he’d be among the top four players in the draft. He reminds me a little of Shane Battier. You can play him three through five.”

Jabari Smith, 6-10 freshman forward, Auburn. “If Orlando doesn’t take him, they’re stupid. Best upside of anyone in this draft. He’s not even close to being developed yet. From everything I’ve heard, he’s probably the best blend in this draft of character and skill set. When he wasn’t making shots he still defended his ass off. His weakness would be his shot-blocking and rebounding. He likes to float on the perimeter. He’s not as bouncy as some people would like to think. He moves his feet great defensively. He’s a super competitive player. He took his pregame stuff really seriously. He’s in a full sweat all the time. A professional mindset. He’s gotta become a better ballhandler. The only question would be if maybe he ends up being like Rudy Gay, who averaged 20 points in his career and never really won much.”

Little Bit, Deckard, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  12. TimDuncanDonaut

Magic reportedly worked out:

Jabari
    Chet
    Sharpe o_O
    Keegan

(no reports of Paolo working out in Orlando). Unknown if Magic is interested.

Workouts for Magic is supposedly already wrapped up.

D-rock likes this.
  13. MystikArkitect

Those are some takes alright.

D-rock and jiggyfly like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

1. Magic — While the Magic haven’t tipped their hand on what they’re doing at No. 1, the likely choice remains Smith, who is viewed by many around the NBA as the draft’s best prospect. The Magic have brought in Smith, Holmgren and Paolo Banchero, among others, but it’s Smith who rival teams believe will be the choice, and it’s also notable that he seems excited to land in Orlando. While the Magic also have a soft spot for Holmgren, there’s some thought right now that his camp would prefer to land elsewhere. Smith is the top prospect on my board, and this decision is not something the Magic will necessarily have to overthink.

2. Thunder — Although it’s noteworthy that the Thunder haven’t shown their cards here, there’s a sense around the NBA right now that Holmgren’s camp would prefer he land in Oklahoma City. Paolo Banchero remains a possibility here, and I wouldn’t rule him out. But there’s no team better positioned to develop Holmgren than the Thunder, who can be patient with him and have playmakers on the roster who can help facilitate his growth as a scorer. He fits the size/skill ethos Sam Presti has often favored in the draft, and would be a justifiable home run swing here, although there remains wide variance of opinion on him around the league.

3. Rockets: Paolo Banchero, F, Duke
    Height: 6' 10" | Weight: 250 | Age: 19 | Freshman

The safe assumption remains that Houston will take whichever of Banchero or Holmgren falls here. Of the projected top three prospects, only Banchero worked out for Houston, and he’s thought to be comfortable landing with the Rockets, who appear to be his backstop. Banchero’s unique mix of power, skill and passing chops let him operate all over the floor as a playmaking fulcrum, and pairing him with Jalen Green in two-man situations offers a lot of creative possibilities. There aren’t many players his size with his level of coordination, and he should be able to create plenty of mismatches if deployed creatively.

Banchero’s jumper comes and goes at times, but he had a strong freshman season on the whole and should be prepared to help contribute on a rebuilding team immediately. He’s not a rim protector, but some of the defensive concerns with him are otherwise a tad bit oversold. The Rockets seem prepared to try him with Alperen Sengun up front, although that may not be an ideal pairing as far as defending the paint is concerned. Regardless, Banchero’s feel for scoring and finding teammates should take him a long way, and if his shot-making and defense trend up, there should be All-Star caliber seasons in his future.

5. Pistons — Detroit is thought to be heavily interested in Ivey, who would lock in their long-term backcourt plans alongside Cade Cunningham and make them a more dynamic offensive team right away. While it’s not a sure thing he’s available, the Pistons would be thrilled if he falls here.

6. Pacers — It’s not much of a secret around the NBA at this point that the Pacers strongly covet Keegan Murray, with their preferred outcome being one where he falls to No. 6. In the event Murray is off the board, Indiana is thought to be eyeing a shooting guard here, with Mathurin one of the names in play, along with Shaedon Sharpe and Johnny Davis.

7. Blazers — The Trail Blazers continue to explore the market for this pick, sources say, with the Thunder and Hawks primarily linked to this spot as potential trade partners. Portland appears to be trying to revitalize its roster around Damian Lillard, creating some impetus to deal.

10. Wizards — The Wizards have been exploring trade options with this pick and have shown interest in upgrading their backcourt as they look to improve the roster around Bradley Beal. They’ve been tipped as a team with interest in trading up for Jaden Ivey, but realistically may not have enough to offer to actually get that high. It also wouldn’t be surprising to see Washington move back or out of the draft entirely, depending on what caliber of player they can acquire in that type of move.

12. Thunder — The Thunder have been exploring opportunities to acquire a second top 10 selection using this pick, with speculation primarily linking them to the Trail Blazers’ pick at No. 7.

16. Hawks — The Hawks are one of the teams to monitor closely this week: sources say they’ve been actively looking to move into the Top 10 and are eyeing Portland’s selection at No. 7, among other scenarios. Atlanta appears to have real interest in drafting a guard to pair with Trae Young, and John Collins, Clint Capela, and Kevin Huerter have all surfaced as trade possibilities. The Hawks have enough options on the table that they kind of hold the keys to the transaction circus, and have surfaced as a possible bidder for Rudy Gobert. So, keep in mind that this pick could be on the move somewhere else.

17. Rockets (from Nets): Tari Eason, F, LSU
    Height: 6' 8" Weight: 215 | Age: 21 | Sophomore

Yes, the Rockets are probably taking a power forward at No. 3, but that may not stop them from rolling the dice on someone like Eason here, as Houston is in a phase where they can and should be throwing as many developmental darts as possible. The Rockets should be in a flexible position if they decide to keep this pick, with No. 26 now also in the fold after trading Christian Wood to Dallas. Houston rostered four rookies last year, and it stands to reason they may not want to carry three more, so it’s logical to think this pick could still wind up elsewhere.

Eason’s offensive productivity, analytics-friendly profile and disruptive capabilities on the defensive end would make him a strong fit in Houston, where he won’t have to do much creating and can be tasked with wreaking havoc and playing with energy. He’s more of a work in progress than your typical 21-year-old prospect, and he’s an acquired taste from team to team, due more to concerns about his maturity and feel than his skillset. There’s still a chance that he could slip into the 20s, but Eason’s impressive physical tools and the strength of his breakout year make him worth a long look in this range.

18. Bulls — The Bulls have been exploring trade options using this pick and are also said to be shopping former lottery pick Coby White, although the market for his services doesn’t appear to be the strongest.

22. Grizzlies — Per sources, the Grizzlies have looked at trading up into the teens, proposing packages that include this selection in combination with veteran players, including De’Anthony Melton.

26. Rockets (from Mavericks): Nikola Jovic, F, Mega Basket (Serbia)
    Height: 6' 11" | Weight: 220 | Age: 19

Houston acquired this pick in last week’s trade that sent Christian Wood to Dallas, giving them three first-rounders to mess around with. It’ll be interesting to see if they use this pick or move it again. But adding a jumbo shooter like Jovic who could develop into more might be an interesting upside play, even though his stock has dipped a bit on the workout circuit. He holds appeal as a jumbo forward with perimeter skills, plus passing vision and a sweet jumper. He’s also a below-average athlete and likely to be a defensive liability, which are real concerns for teams. As I understand it, Jovic intends to come over to the NBA next season, so he won’t necessarily be a stash pick.

27. Heat — Rival teams believe there’s a good chance the Heat ultimately trade this pick, considering their salary cap situation and their knack for uncovering and developing undrafted talent.

28. Warriors — Sources say the Warriors are working to trade this pick, considering their hefty payroll and the need to integrate James Wiseman, Jonathan Kuminga and Moses Moody into the rotation next season.

31. Pacers: Walker Kessler, C, Auburn | So.
    34. Thunder: E.J. Liddell, F, Ohio State | Jr.
    38. Spurs: MarJon Beauchamp, G/F, G League Ignite
    39. Cavaliers: Kendall Brown, F, Baylor | Fr.
    40. Timberwolves: Christian Koloko, C, Arizona | Jr.

D-rock and groovemachine like this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If you told me we can get Banchero, Eason and Jovic (who might end up the best offensive player in this draft) I would do that in a heartbeat

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

• The Pacers are seriously discussing trades centered on Malcolm Brogdon and Myles Turner, sources said. The Wizards and Knicks are interested in Brogdon, armed with the Nos. 10 and 11 picks respectively, sources said. The Hornets have expressed interest in Turner, those sources said. Still, Indiana, which has the No. 6 pick in the draft, could elect to continue retooling its veteran core rather than rebuild entirely around young players.

• The Kings are becoming increasingly comfortable drafting at No. 4 in Thursday’s draft and have described a steep price for teams behind them in the lottery who are attempting to trade up, sources said. Sacramento general manager Monte McNair has engaged in conversations around Hawks forward John Collins — among a slew of other established, productive players in the market — but there has been no involvement of the No. 4 pick in the discussions centered on Collins, and McNair will ultimately make the decision on the pick, according to sources.

• Auburn’s Jabari Smith, who worked out and met with the Magic (No. 1) and Thunder (No. 2) during the predraft process, is a virtual lock to go in the top two in the draft. He remains a favorite to go No. 1.

• Kentucky’s Shaedon Sharpe is the mystery man of the NBA Draft. Sharpe is a projected high lottery pick, and sources say he has conducted strong group workouts such as three-on-three and four-on-four scrimmages to showcase his ability for teams who have not seen him play organized basketball over the past year or two. Instead of conducting individual workouts, Sharpe sought the competition, working out for teams between the draft ranges of Nos. 1-13.

• The G League Ignite’s Michael Foster will end up working out for 15 teams, with his 6-foot-9 build and expected versatility at the next level making him a candidate to be a draft sleeper. In 13 games for the Ignite last season, Foster averaged 14.8 points and a team-high 8.7 rebounds per game.

— Shams Charania

D-rock and Verbal Christ like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://sports.yahoo.com/final-2022...picks-ahead-of-thursdays-draft-130018345.html

3. Houston Rockets: F Paolo Banchero
    Ht./Wt.: 6-10, 250 pounds | Class: Freshman | Duke: 17.2 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 3.2 apg

The Rockets need size in the lane and Banchero will bring that plus much more. The ACC Rookie of the Year is a grab-and-go player who has the size to bang down low but is also comfortable with the ball in his hands. The Rockets are looking for that glue guy to get them over the hump, and Banchero could be the missing piece after leading Duke to the Final Four this season.

"I had a great workout and great conversation with Coach [Stephen] Silas and the front office," Banchero told reporters last week. "I've known Jalen [Green] just through USA Basketball and KPJ [Kevin Porter Jr.] is from the same area and we played for the same AAU program."

Houston has a top-three draft pick for the second straight year. Banchero is a player they can start to build around and a key addition to Green and Porter Jr. in the pick-and-roll option.

17. Houston Rockets: G Jalen Williams
    Ht./Wt.: 6-5, 209 pounds | Class: Junior | Santa Clara: 18 ppg, 4.2 apg

Williams is one of the biggest risers after playing well during the NBA draft combine scrimmages. He got to the basket with ease, shot the ball well and had some of the best finishes in transition. Defensively, he fought through screens to keep his man in front and was effective in help-side defense, shooting the gap for steals and tips.

26. Houston Rockets (via the Mavericks): G/F MarJon Beauchamp
    Ht./Wt.: 6-7, 175 pounds | G League Ignite: 15.1 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 2.3 apg

Beauchamp has a steady jumper that has improved over the last year. He has good speed in transition and is not afraid to take the shot with a defender in his face. His biggest improvement is on the defensive end with his lateral quickness and ability to sit down and guard every position on the wing.

Shark44 and Verbal Christ like this.
  18. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

Why do I keep seeing mock drafts with us drafting guards ? There is literally no room for anymore . We need forwards and a center ! We have kpj, nix, josh Christopher and Jalen green .. unless we plan on trading on of our guards I just don’t see it

Little Bit and D-rock like this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

we don’t need to draft another guy in the lotto that can only play shooting guard. He can’t play the 1 or 3. Glad we aren’t looking at those kind of players till late 1st round…I hope.

D-rock likes this.