1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NCAA Tournament Prospect Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Mar 17, 2022.

1. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Where would he slot in this draft? If it's in the lottery sounds like a good deal.

D-rock likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

We need the most talented players period not players that fit with one guy and I don't know why Banchero does not fit with Green, you need multiple guys who can get buckets just look at Boston or GS.

You are willing to move up one spot and forfeit better talent just to get a guy you think fits better with a guy you already have? To me that makes zero sense I don't know why you have Smith on a higher tier when he can't create his own offense and is not that an amazing defensive player.

Would you rather take Draymond over Tatum if both were available?

3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Please name one example of a skinny player that was an elite finisher in college and struggled to finish against bigger, stronger NBA athletes. I'm serious, I'm not a basketball historian. There are probably a lot but I can only remember the success stories of skinny players, probably confirmation bias on my part. You would be helping me out tremendously.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nobody believes that Chet or Jabari is significantly better and nobody believes that the 34th pick it anywhere near the same guy you can get at 17.

We are talking near lottery and the 2nd round why would anybody think there would not be a ton of difference?

Just look at how easy it is to buy a 2nd rounder as opposed to the 17th pick.

I'm sorry but this makes zero real-world sense are we really talking about stashing guys on a team this bad?

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

I slot him top 10 minimum.

6'9 point forward who thrives in transition (like Green) but longer than Paolo and is already better switch defender and 3P.

More vertical pop as well, shows up in his rim protection and rim running.

groovemachine likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't think Chet is elite at finishing 1st of all, getting put-backs and lobs are different than finishing off a drive or posting up, so I don't know why all of this fuss is even being made.

There have not been a lot of players as Skinny as Holmgren and asked to do what he is projected to do but if you don't think he will have trouble at that size I don't know what to say.

To me being elite at finishing is being able to go through contact or having great body control not just because he converted putbacks at a high rate.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Plenty of folks do. that's why they're slotted to go 1 and 2.. You're team banchero so obviously you see it differently. Not everyone is set on banchero so of course they see it differently too.

Lottery is relative. There isn't a ton of difference picking at 17 and 34. Theres busts for talented guys all throughout. There's no such thing as guaranteeing yourself a great player at 17. Theres busts all throughout that range. At that this point all you can hope for is you scouted right and you're taking the chance to choose someone who can help your team.

Joe Joe, D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have no idea why so many people are using random twitter dudes as actual experts.

And even those guys are starting to slot Banchero in the top 2.

MrButtocks likes this.
  9. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we could use some combination of Wood/Gordon/#17 to get #7 from Portland, I’d take Griffin or Eason and consider ‘21 and ‘22 to be pretty much perfect drafts.

In two years we would have addressed every position:

PG - KPJ
    SG - Green
    SF - Griffin (or Eason)
    PF - Paolo
    C - Sengun

They may not all work out, but we would have a year to see what works and doesn’t and we have two picks next year and plenty of cap space to make improvements/adjustments. And every one of those players is 22 or under.

peleincubus and D-rock like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

I'm not going to speak for others but I couldn't careless what random twitter dudes thinks. They're no different than random cf's going back and forth. The only difference is the actual platform. I don't need them to form my own opinion, never did.

Corrosion likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So who where the plenty of folks you mentioned?

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

you can start with woj. then jay bilas. I'm not going to sit here and go down the long list of names that have clearly made it known time and time again that Chet/Jabari are the top 2. You can't be that lazy and really just act like it literally hasnt been that known for a long time

don't be that guy just because you're team banchero, you literally just overlook and ignore everything else. Great you love banchero, pretty sure everyone knows that. But that's you

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I'm playing devil's advocate here, I'm perfectly happy with holding at 3, and trying to move up from 17. Although, I do think a reasonable case can be made that Chet/Jabari are better fits with the team and that the difference between 17 and 34 in this particular draft is not huge. At both spots you are most likely looking at a rotation guy but not a starter. So it's not a stretch to think a better pick could be made at 34 than the guy taken at 17. Happens quite often I would presume.

D-rock likes this.
  14. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

So if OKC sees Chet/Jabari as a half tier above why would they give that up?
    They have plenty of picks.

And if the 2nd or 3rd tier ends at #16 I think there's a VERY good chance that at least 1 team right before us has someone else on their board rated higher or just has a "crush" on him and picks him thereby dropping at least 1 of the top 16 to us.

Also if 17-35 are rated close to the same and we trade down to 34 then we're in the "bottom of the barrel" on that tier just like we were at 17.
    What if it's only 2 pg's left and we didn't want another one this year?
    What if the only top 35 players left are the same position we draft at #2?
    Then we're stuck.

I just want to stay at #3 and get whoever is left.
    And either stay at #17 (or move up) where I think the likelihood of getting a top prospect is pretty high.

Personally I'm hoping Agbaji and Branham both go before we pick at 17.
    If that happens I KNOW there'll be someone left at 17 I like!

theDude likes this.
  15. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Landing these type of deals would accelerate the rebuild for sure. Leveraging 17 into a legit starting 3 would be huge.

Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

WOj does not have a mock and he only said that the Magic are thinking about Smith and Holmgren.

"This is the draft lottery of the power forwards with three very different players. We’ll see how this shakes out. Chet Holmgren of Gonzaga and Jabari Smith of Auburn, I think the consensus right now is those are really the two players competing for No. 1 with the Magic."

And that was may 18th.

Bilas board has not been updated since April.

I am not being any guy I just don't see any consensus about Banchero being the 3rd guy it's all over the place.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

Woj clearly said the consensus is Chet/Jabari are the two competing for #1. Its common sense what that means

It doesn't matter. stop with this update nonsense. That's irrelevant in this case. nothing has changed

You really take your clear obsession with Banchero to some level that you'll go through all the mental hoops it takes. You don't see because of what i just said

cmoak1982 and D-rock like this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I'm waiting to hear your reasonable case that 17 and 34 are comparable picks?

Have you ever heard of the number 17 pick being bought outright?

How can anybody be a better pick when over half of these guys will not be on the team in 3 years, why are looking for fits with a team that had the worse record in the NBA?

Since when does fit trump talent?

19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Current top 5 prediction.

Smith
    Ivey
    Paolo
    Chet
    Murray

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

Look at the list of names from 17-34 of the history of drafts. There sure are a ton of players busted who didn't make it in the league. More names of of players people haven't even heard of then players who actually made a rotation. This year will be no different. and the reality is a ton of players in the "lottery" will bust too just like any other year

Herbert Jones was picked 35 in last years draft. the only rotational player on a playoff team that played in the playoffs in that same range

#4640 YOLO, Jun 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2022