1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NCAA Tournament Prospect Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Mar 17, 2022.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well spacing matters. He is 30% (3P%) for the season....but as a starter. Pow-wow

D-rock likes this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Are you arguing with me? I see us as agreeing?

Barnes got hurt around game #2...so maybe the answer to your question about Boucher
    regressing might be there. Nurse wanted a passing big man.

Spooner likes this.
  3. Spooner

Spooner Member

Not arguing just interested in the reason he is consistently a bench player. He could probably put up all star numbers with starter minutes.

As a starter he won 4 games with a +16 +/-
    As a starter he lost 5 games with a -9 +/-

Either his effort level is all over the place or his success is very dependent on the matchup. If that were the case, I'd like to know what matchups gave him difficulties. I agree with the initial post pertaining to Chet but its important to look at all aspects to this.

4. Spooner

Spooner Member

One other thing to consider- Boucher played 80 games last year which is very encouraging. He played 122 games the previous two seasons combined due in part to a myriad of injuries.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No people did not say this about every thin prospect and none of those guys are as thin as Holmgren.

Boucher is 6'9 and was drafted at 200 pounds and he is not asked to be the rim protector that Holmgren is, are you really trying to compare what Zion can do at the rim compared to Boucher? This is not about putbacks and dunks it's about being able to finish off the dribble and through contact which is what is needed in crunch time and the playoffs to be a true number one option.

Nobody ever questioned if Bosh and Garnett could finish inside they came out with advanced post games so it seems you are just pulling names out of a hat.

Bradley issues were not about being skinny it was about skill level, you are just all over the place.

This is not about if he will bust to me its about projecting who will be the better player in the NBA among the top 3 at least that's what I am projecting.

Simple question to me is what does Holmgren do at a high level besides shot-blocking that Banchero does not?

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I quoted the exact same dude because you ignored that part of what he said, I don't GAF about this dude but since you obviously do you should note what he said that goes against your narrative.

Why do you ignore the negatives about him?

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Because you ignore all the positives.

And if anyone has a narrative it's you.

Everything you accuse me of is projection.

Reeko and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am not claiming he is fragile and weak, stop getting into your feelings and less discuss what I have said aboyt him.

Yes he is a top 3 prospect and I have even said he probably has a lot in his bag he did not get to show, why can't you acknowledge he has some question marks and stop getting bent out of shape if anybody questions those.

But then you are the same guy who does not think Banchero would be a good pick at #3.:rolleyes:

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

I've said that Paolo is legit top 3 pick.

Any of the 3 picks would improve the Rockets.

I just prefer Chet and Jabari over Paolo.

Go ahead, ask another Cucker Tarlson question.

Corrosion and groovemachine like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

WTF are you talking about?

I have not ignored any positives I have consistently said he might turn out to be more like Durant than we think, unlike you I can talk about all of these guys positively and don't feel the need to tear down the others because I have a favorite.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

You just ignored all the positives in the article to focus on the "interesting" negatives did you not?

I posted the positives which included upside to be the best defensive player in NBA then you blew a nut over it.

You're fake AF.

"You won't find across-the-board agreement on many things with top prospects, but one area where people in basketball circles find common ground is the notion that Holmgren has the highest ceiling of any player in the 2022 class."

#4571 D-rock, Jun 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    Reeko likes this.
  12. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

You are 100% Chet>Paolo
    Jabari>Paolo
    Heck I may even go Ivey>Paolo

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

100% Chet over Paolo. True.

I prefer the 7 foot 2 way unicorn with 39% 3P with the highest ceiling in 2022 draft class.

DEFENSE MATTERS

3P% MATTERS

But not Ivey over Paolo. Certainly not 100%.

I like Ivey a lot but Rockets need size. Especially if both Paolo and Ivey have defensive and 3P% concerns.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Month......Banchero (3P%).........Ivey (3P%).....
    Nov.................33.3%.........................43.3% (7gms)
    Dec.................33.3%.........................46.9% (6 gms)
    Jan.................30.0%.........................42.4% (7 gms)
    Feb.................29.0%.........................18.4% (8 gms....this is the month that sank his battleship)
    March.............41.4%.........................32.6% (8 gms.....equal to what Paolo posted most of season)
    April............50.0% (1 gm....2/4).... --------

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jaden-ivey-1/splits/2022/

jiggyfly and D-rock like this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

You said Holmgren would be moved easily and would not be able to finish in the NBA if knocked around, that he'll be going against the best of the best and not WCC players that would be overseas hopefuls. I'm not saying you're wrong, but Holmgren ranked in the 99th percentile around the rim and was the best finisher in the NCAA in years. Seems like a reach to think he can't finish in the NBA unless you have some examples to point to. Has a top tier finisher in college ever failed to finish in the NBA because he was too thin or is that entirely unique to Holmgren? I don't see a clear relationship between thin frame and finishing in the NBA.

If you don't remember people saying similar things other thin players that's fine. Mobley was just last year so I'm surprised you didn't see all the endless talk about his weight and frame. It's silly because people act like 19 year olds can't gain weight. I'm not getting into Holmgren vs Banchero because I think they'll both be good pros and that argument has nothing to do with the post I originally responded to.

cmoak1982 and D-rock like this.
  17. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The highest ceiling argument is an interesting one to me. I really like Chet and prefer him over Paolo but are we sure the highest ceiling player isn't the guy that is the best at the most important skill in today's game? I think Paolo has the easiest route to a player like Tatum who might be the best player on a championship team this year.

jiggyfly and D-rock like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

I honestly hope ORL and OKC also believe the same.

Got my fingers crossed that Celtics win it all and Tatum is given all the credit.

As for most important skill in today's game.

*Putting the ball in the bucket.
    *Preventing opposing team from putting ball in the bucket.

https://www.nba.com/news/2022-consensus-mock-draft

Advanced Stats

• Averaging a tremendous 1.68 points per shot around the rim [100th percentile], Holmgren ranks among the most efficient finishers in college basketball history despite his lack of strength. His massive reach allows him to casually play at the top of the square and he is quick enough off his feet to be a threat to finish lobs flat-footed. He may not be the most physical player in traffic but does not shy away from contact and has the touch to score even when he can’t find an angle to play above the rim.

• Possessing impressive nature touch and smooth shooting mechanics, Holmgren’s perimeter skill level allowed him to play quite a bit of power forward last season and translated consistently on the occasions he looked to dribble into pull-up threes in transition, get to one-legged fadeaways in the post, or create in the midrange. Scoring 1.19 points per jump shot [95th percentile], many of his most productive offensive games came when he was aggressive looking for his own shot on the perimeter. While he is not the most explosive or physical slasher, his size and ability to handle the ball give him considerable potential on the offensive end.

Defensive Analysis

• Holmgren was the driving force behind a defense that allowed a Division I-best 44% shooting in finishing situations in the half court. Not only did he block shots at a strong rate with his impressive combination of length and timing, but he affected many others as well.

• Sliding his feet impressively to stay in front of smaller players when switching on the perimeter, his lateral speed gives him schematic versatility a lot of rim protectors in his mold tend to lack. His productivity on the defensive glass is also rare for a player who pursues blocks the way he does—a testament to his effort-level.

• Allowing 0.78 points per post up possession [60th percentile], Holmgren held his own more consistently in some matchups on the block than others at the college level.

Reeko and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

20. D-rock

D-rock Member