1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NCAA Tournament Prospect Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Mar 17, 2022.

1. i3artow i3aller

#2881 i3artow i3aller, Apr 24, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    D-rock, cmoak1982 and saleem like this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Same here ....

His defense is terrible, he can't stay in front of anyone ...and Gobert can't make up for it.

And Donovan is one of those "stars" that might force his way elsewhere.
    His defense being what it is - is he a guy you use assets to acquire?

He's almost James Harden 2.0 on that aspect where you have to hide him on defense (without the option to hide him in the post).

Gobert has his own issues when teams put a shooter at the 5 and he refuses to leave the paint .... giving up open 3's.

steddinotayto likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Miller looks good, especially if really 6'11+.

Should not affect top 5.

But hopefully he pushes players in top 10 or lottery down to #17.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

yeah Mitchell is unfortunately not someone worth giving up big future assets for. He’s not a two-way player and he plays the same position as Jalen Green. When I hear his name mentioned as a target worth giving up the rebuild for I cringe. Great player, but not what we need if we are building around Green.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He is Kevin Durant part two. The Rockets should do what they can to move up to no. 1 if they don’t get it in the lottery. Don’t settle for top 3 and risk losing the ability to grab him.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Jabari is 1B for me but as long as Rockets draft Mark Williams at #17 to pair with him I'm good with this pick.

Corrosion likes this.
  8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

You didn't watch Kevin Durant in college.

They are not similar players.

They do not have similar wingspans which gives Durant the ability to get his shot off over anyone in the pros. Jabari will have to learn to create separation and not depend on being the tallest person on the court at all times like he did in college.

Durant is a one of a kind.

Jabari may be a very good pro. I think I can guarantee he will not compare to KD. No one in this draft will. No one in next draft will. No one ever will again.

Durant is a 7 foot guard who makes every shot he takes. Jabari is a moderately inefficient power forward who was mostly a spot up shooter. He has no handle. He has no go to move. He's a baby deer at this point. Maybe he becomes an absolute stud and I do believe that his defense is the translatable skill he possesses. He will be good on the perimeter. I do think he can be a taller Mikal Bridges type early in his career which is awesome. It's not Durant.

He is probably the fourth or fifth best player in this draft at this point and he should be third on the Rockets board. I'd be thrilled with him at 3. Paolo and Chet are clearly better to me. This is coming from someone who once thought Jabari was the clear first pick in this draft. It's Chet now and Paolo is clearly the second BPA. You don't draft for fit and draft out of a tier to fit a need. You take Chet first and Paolo second. Jabari is in the next tier now with Ivey and Sharpe. I think he may fall to 4 or five.

#2888 treyk3, Apr 24, 2022
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

I hope Banchero goes #1.

Still like Chet as 1A and Jabari as 1B for the Rockets.

joshuaao and treyk3 like this.
  10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Banchero probably will go first. I would take Chet first but the aesthetics are going to make Banchero the first pick in my opinion.

He's a 6-10 Wing with tons of moves, a jump shot that improved as the season went on, the ability to be either player in a PNR, the same wingspan as Jabari, great NBA size, plenty of upside, great passing, high IQ and plenty of room to improve. He was slept on too long and I was one of the people doing it.

https://deanondraft.com/2022/03/24/where-does-paolo-banchero-fit-in-the-modern-nba-and-2022-draft/

He's a special talent and so is Chet.

Jabari is a great third pick. I would be thrilled to get him. I wouldn't be furious if the Rockets took him first or second. I would not trade up to take him.

Verbal Christ, jiggyfly and D-rock like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Love Ivey but he's a SG in NBA.

Bo6 likes this.
  12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

@Nook says he has a 7 foot wingspan. That with his strength allows him to at least guard 1-3 and maybe guard 1-4. It's a position-less NBA. I'd play with in a KPJ/Jalen/Ivey/KJM/Sengun lineup and get weird. Sharpe or Ivey will play the SF here IMO.

ilovehtownbb, Nook and D-rock like this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Well, unless the Rockets have #1 .... then I hope its Chet.

Jabari is falling down my board ..... behind Chet, Banchero, Ivey and maybe even Murray , Mathurin & Sharpe.

He's a one trick pony IMO.

ilovehtownbb, D-rock and treyk3 like this.
  14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He's the guy you watch his film and all of his faults are clear. He's very raw but he's also very young. Maybe he develops these guard skills or maybe he stays a Super 3 and D guy which could still be awesome. I don't love Murray or Mathurin personally but I hope the Rockets exhaust every option no matter where they draft. I actually trust this team to draft well. They got 5 out of 4 picks last year right (Nix is the fifth) even with Garuba's struggles.

Corrosion likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Love his wingspan too but that doesnt always translate.

Need to love defense to really improve which requires changing mindset imo.

Corrosion likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

2 trick pony.

1) Elite shooting
    2) Switchable energy defense 1-4 (some 5's)

Corrosion likes this.
  17. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Why must the Rockets draft rim protection? This is a great FA class to pick up a rim protector. Bamba, Mitchell, Byrant, Smith?

Or get some vet rim protectors McGee, Lopez, Biyombo.

BPA only in draft, if it's Mark then let's get him.

#2897 Ekiu, Apr 24, 2022
    jiggyfly and StrawberryJamm like this.
  18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Is Banchero a bigger Doncic????

Verbal Christ and Corrosion like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

If and when Stone signs any elite rim protectors then I will adjust my preference for #17.

Until then I'm dealing with actual facts.

Corrosion likes this.