1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NCAA throws out Memphis’ Final Four run

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Aug 20, 2009.

1. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

where did the NCAA automatically say rose/cal/memphis were guilty and that they had to prove he was innocent? maybe i missed that when it was first reported, they were told of an infraction, aka someone sat in for rose at his SAT. the NCAA opened an investigation, probably asked memphis to help out, more so to help clear roses name, after months of looking into the matter, they ruled there were some infractions taking place. the only thing they can do is to vacate wins or strip championships. they cant go back and have teams play the games over, sitting around doing nothing just makes everyone look bad.

2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

I will respond to this one more time, then I want to forget about it.

There is no one overlooking the NCAA. Period. They send their letters of "we caught you" but there is no burden of proof. Hearsay = acceptable. Once a team has been issued one of those "we caught you" letters they are guilty. In the press, in the eyes of the Universities, in the eyes of the NCAA.

They are the judge, the jury, and the executioner and there is no one who can take them to task. No one. No committee. No conference negotiators. No one oversees them.

I give you a similar quote from Jay Bilas, who though at times I disagree with him, is a fairly intelligent guy, from when this whole Memphis crap started.

It's one of the best articles I have read about the crap that the NCAA dishes out and expects us to take. Though you have to be an insider to read the whole thing http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/columns/story?columnist=bilas_jay&id=4227055

Edit: one more thing before I leave this alone... the NCAA passed this "awesome food rule" that the coaches can now provide fruit and bagels to players. Then the committee in their ultimate wisdom said, "but you can't give them cream cheese or butter for the bagels"

Are you kidding me? This is a rule? The whole thing is ludicrous and needs a major overhaul.

3. candycane

candycane Member

It's only a matter of time before World Wide Wes and Coach Cal are caught.

Anyone else think its just a coincidence that Rose failed the test 3 times in Chicago, then miraculously passed it in Detroit (which is WWW hometown)?

That should have been a red flag to Memphis, but the NCAA cleared Rose, not once, but twice. What else was Memphis supposed to do? Yes it looks fishy, but they did their due diligence and the NCAA cleared Rose to play. NCAA had no proof the University knew Rose didn't take that test and still hasn't proven that Rose wasn't the one that took it.

I'm not saying Memphis isn't somewhat responsible, but it doesn't make sense for the NCAA to give Memphis this harsh of a punishment when more severe infractions by other schools (Corey Magette, Darrell Aurthur, O.J. Mayo) have happened and the NCAA did nothing about it.

I'm still waiting on Rose to speak out about this.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

HayesFan is just saying all that crap now cuz Coach Cal is at UK

NO OTHER REASON WHY AT ALL

;)

5. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

No, I have had lots of knowledge of the NCAA and it's crap since I was 10 years old. My daddy taught me well. UK fans to this day call from Pitino on the post-probation era. So I have been hearing and talking about the NCAA and it's practices for 20 years ;)

but props for forcing me to comment again in this thread! LOL

6. reckonerone42

reckonerone42 Member

What candycane said.

Let's not forget about the Camby situation while Calipari was at UMass (and I don't buy that he didn't know Camby was getting paid) and now this at Memphis (and I don't buy that Calipari didn't know about the cheating on the SAT). Either Calipari is a terrible CEO (ie doesn't know anything about what's going on in his program) or a cheater and IMO, to be successful in big time NCAABB, it's not possible to be that bad CEO type. The guy has had a black cloud following him around for as long as he's been a head coach and it's always caught up to him after he left. I have no reason to suspect that it won't happen again.

Here's another interesting article on the subject from the Memphis paper yesterday. There's just too much smoke around the guy for there not to be fire.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/aug/20/geoff-calkins-course-calipari-knew-now-its-all-aca/

7. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

Yeah because a Memphis paper wouldn't be at all biased.

Stop... must stop. No more coming back to this thread

Edit: does your boss know everything you do when he's not around? Did your boss stand and watch while you signed in to take your final exams and see that you graduated.

I agree that it's suspicious that it's happened to the guy twice. So don't get me wrong I see both sides as far as that is concerned. I am more upset at the system that allows it to happen than I am anyone in particulars involvement. Stuff like this just brings it back up... and especially when it taints the joy of my UK offseason like it has

8. reckonerone42

reckonerone42 Member

Never said that the Memphis paper wouldn't be biased, just thought it was an interesting read.

On a side note, the NCAA as an institution really really sucks. Glad we can agree on that at least.

9. candycane

candycane Member

Coach Cal ran the ship at Memphis. The AD had little input in what Cal wanted to do. We all have to be naive to think that Cal didn't have a clue about Rose or Camby. He's 2 for 2 at having Final Fours stripped. He can probably kiss his Hall of Fame hopes goodbye!

10. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

I see what you're saying, but i'm not buying it. I indeed do like Jay Bilas, I actually shot him an e-mail about how well he had written an article of his last year, a few months later I randomly get a response back from him thanking me for my kind words. I'm just not sure how much Jay Bilas knows about the process. He even says himself the investigations are kept under wrap, as they should be, imo.

The food rule really has no business being in this discussion, again, I see where you're coming from, with some of the ridiculous rules, but there are silly rules documented for every business. On top of it, the whole recruiting process makes it even more complicated in terms of when you can see them, how many times you can call a recruit, etc. I remember hearing Roy Williams talking about how he had some heat on him because he gave a wedding gift to a former player of his, apparently thats a rules violation.

I feel like you're saying, the NCAA hears about a violation, and once they immediately open an investigation, they deem the school,player, coach whoever guilty. So what do they do for the months before handing down a ruling? Just sit there with a big grin on their face saying, haha, this is fun? I would imagine they would genuinely take a look into the matter, calling and talking to people at memphis and probably roses high school to get some clarifications and such, who knows what else. I dont think they take these matters lightly.

Especially with something like this, we find out after everythings happened, so they look into it. What else are they going to do? Just sit on their hands and let it blow over? There are numerous people at fault, including the NCAA, for whatever reason they let him through, but, again, what else should they do, it happened, they looked into it and decided that punishment. Heck, your coach isnt even effected by it, its happening at the school he left.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Hayesfan, at least this guy is no longer the UK basketball coach:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4425751

Gillispie arrested for DUI

ESPN.com news services

Police have charged former Kentucky basketball coach Billy Gillispie with drunken driving.

Police dispatcher Todd Sparrow said Lawrenceburg police arrested Gillispie and took him to the nearby Franklin County Regional Jail.

Gillispie, who was driving a 2009 white Mercedes, was pulled over around 2:45 a.m. ET in Kentucky. He refused to take a breathalyzer or blood alcohol test, WLEX-TV in Lexington is reporting.

Gillispie, 50, reportedly told police that he and his passenger, Charles O'Conner, were returning from a golfing trip. O'Conner, 42, was reportedly charged with public intoxication.

It is the third time that Gillispie has been arrested on alcohol-related driving charges. However, in one case the charge was dismissed and in the other he pleaded guilty to a lesser charge, reckless driving.

Gillispie, who was fired March 27, was working under a seven-year memorandum of understanding but hadn't signed a formal contract during the two years he coached the Wildcats.

Gillispie sued the University of Kentucky Athletics Association in federal court in Dallas on May 27, claiming fraud and breach of contract. Gillispie claims the school never intended to sign him to a long-term deal. The school has denied the allegations. He is seeking at least $6 million -- about $1.5 million per year for four of the five years he says were left on his agreement.

The University of Kentucky countersued Gillispie, claiming it doesn't owe him pay because he never signed a contract.

UK's lawyers are asking the court to rule that the two-page memorandum of understanding Gillispie signed after his hiring in 2007 was not the equivalent of a full contract.

The athletics association has asked a federal judge in Texas either to dismiss Gillispie's lawsuit over his firing or to move the case to Kentucky. In a motion filed in federal court, the association's attorneys say the school has minimum contact with the state of Texas, giving the court there no jurisdiction to hear Gillispie's claims.

The association's attorneys also claim the University of Kentucky, not the athletics association, hired Gillispie and paid him.

Gillispie went 40-27 in two seasons with the Wildcats, including a 22-14 mark last season that tied for the second-most losses in the program's 106-year history. A stumble down the stretch left the Wildcats out of the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1991.

12. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

Yes this is one thing to be very very thankful for... That's one of the things I am told the people at UK were covering for him when he was coach... his drinking issues

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh paleeeez. You want the guy that cares about basketball so much he drinks his sorrow away (Rudy T). The guy that is so wrapped up in basketball he doesn't eat right, cant maintain a marriage, nothin. All about the game. No time to dish out abortions. Only basketball.