1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NCAA Football] Nov. 9 Polls & BCS Rankings

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by King of 40 Acres, Nov 9, 2008.

1. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Sorry, Fatty, but as long as there's a modicum of chance for Texas, I'll be rooting against TTU, be it against OU, Baylor, or Mizzou in the Big XII title game. If you end up making it to the NC game, THEN AND ONLY THEN will I wholeheartedly root for the Red Raiders. Until that point, though, consider us frenemies.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I don't see how in the world it doesn't happen. We'll see.

3. Major

Major Member

But the problem here is the computers. Even if the human pollsters put USC at a consensus #2, you'll have the following teams wedged between Texas (at #1 or #2 in the computers, depending on Florida) and USC:

1-loss Tech
    1-loss Alabama
    0-loss Utah
    Maybe 2-loss Oklahoma
    Maybe 2-loss Missouri
    Maybe 2-loss Georgia (already ahead of USC now)

USC's closing crap of UCLA, Stanford, and Notre Dame isn't going to help it move up at all. There's no way for pollsters to deal with that large a gap of anywhere between 3 to 6 spots in the computers. And that's ignoring the fact that Oregon State, not USC, currently controls their own destiny to win the Pac10.

The Big 10, I would agree. There's no need for the Pac 10 to have a conference championship game, though - they already play an extra conference game so they do a full round robin of 9 conference games to ensure everyone already plays everyone else.

And there's as much opportunity for a conference championship game to help a team by giving them a big win as hurting them - for example, LSU doesn't play for the national title last year if there's no SEC championship game.

4. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Heres a possibility....

Tech loses to OU( not a blowout)

Ou than loses to OSU

Puts Tech in the big 12 title game..

Tech beats mizzou...

Is Tech in the national championship with 1 loss?

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yes, under those circumstances I'd be willing to bet that Tech goes to the title game.

6. justtxyank

I'm willing to bet that money that you're wrong on this.

If Oklahoma beats two top 25 teams in back to back weeks, including the undefeated number 2 team in the country, there is virtually no way they won't jump one spot in the rankings.

I get that most people on here are UT fans, but you need to be realistic. This CFB for better or worse.

7. junglerules

junglerules Member

I don't think it's a "done deal" either way. By that same argument, Texas beat three straight top 11 teams (at the time), and lost to a 4th one on the last play of the game on the road. Does it matter that Texas did it a month earlier than OU? It will depend on the voters. But, I do hope that if the computers are a wash, the voters look at Texas vs. OU on a neutral field. Texas wins by 10.

Do you go with the "hot team" down the stretch? Does Texas get rewarded for playing Mizzou as well, the best team in the north and winning that game? Does OU get punished for playing a non-division I school? Lots of situations left to play out, but if the three way tie develops, it's going to be a heck of a case of politicking for each of the three teams....

8. justtxyank

$10 tipjar bet that if Oklahoma wins out they will pass Texas.

Who's taking it?

9. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Hopefully the BCS and voters in general will look at a team's whole body of work and not "the flavor of the month" or who is playing the best football recently.

I'm tired of hearing about Florida or USC being the best team in the country. They both lost to huge underdogs.

That's what makes what Alabama and Texas Tech and hell even Utah to a lesser extent that more impressive.

Going undefeated in college football is so incredibly tough nowadays. Hard to get your players up for every single game, walk into a hostile environment, or even beat a team you are "supposed to beat" every single week.

Just my two cents.

10. Major

Major Member

This will be a tough one. Tech would almost certainly end up #2 in the polls. But Texas would be sitting at a unanimous #3, having taken OU and either Fla/Alabama out of the equation. But Texas would be higher in the computers due to Tech's non-conf schedule. So it would depend a lot on how many teams are wedged between Texas and Tech in the computers, as well as how the exact votes breakdown between #2 and #3.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

LOL, don't accuse me of being a homer. I was just roundly insulted by the entire forum less than a month ago for underestimating Texas! Did you miss the Missouri/UT thread?

You're looking at voters the way they were 15 years ago, not the way they are now. Voters aren't nearly as emotional, particularly late in the season. They look at the entire body of work. UT and OU's schedules will be virtually identical, and if OU wins out, they'll both have the same record. With comparable schedule strength, the tiebreaker becomes... when they played each other! What a concept.

Oklahoma is not going to jump a team with an identical schedule and an identical record whom they lost to head to head. It's just not going to happen. Maybe it's wishful thinking on your part -- not sure. But whatever it is, it's not reality.

I'll absolutely take the tipjar bet, assuming we're talking about the final poll before the Big 12 championship. There's an outside shot, if OU beats TT big, of OU temporarily jumping UT based on an emotional, knee-jerk decision, the same way OU jumped UT a week ago in the Coaches/Harris and nearly the AP. There's next to no shot of it sticking, when voters think back and consider the entire body of work. (That's what happened this week.) So, assuming we're talking about the BCS poll ranked Nov. 30, I'll bet anyone any tip jar amount they want that if OU and Texas win out, Texas will be ranked ahead.

12. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I post this 04' article to illustrate the soft power Mack has within the coaching fraternity. If anyone can implement a diplomatic strategy that would secure the requiste votes needed to pass OU in the BCS ranking it's Mack Brown.

Texas' last game is on Thanksgiving and on national television. That gives Mack roughly 48hrs to make his case for Texas'. The polls for thanksgiving weekend will be used to calculate the final BCS standing and thus the Big XII South winner. Stoopsie will only have his press conference for pleading OU's case.

Oh yeah, Stoopsie is an a**hole and coaches don't look too kindly on running up the score.

13. justtxyank

Ok so we're on Cat. $10 tipjar bet that if Oklahoma wins out and Texas wins out, Oklahoma jumps Texas in the final BCS standings before the Big 12 Championship (and thus plays for the Big 12 title.)

Obviously the bet is off if Oklahoma or Texas lose a game.

14. fredred

fredred Member

Please explain to me how playing basically the exact same schedule (with the exception of Mizzou, which helps Texas) and OU losing in a head to head would lead to OU jumping Texas in the computer polls. Right now, OU has "big" wins over Kansas (16 at the time) and TCU (24 at the time). Even if they beat Tech and OSU, that won't come close to Texas' resume: No.1 OU, No. 6 OSU, No. 11 Missouri. They play practically the same schedule, with Texas getting the harder shake of the Big 12 North teams AND the win in head-to-head on a neutral field. That is the data the computers go on, and there is a reason Texas was still No.1 in a few of the computers the week AFTER losing to Tech, their schedule has been that hard this season. OU has the human advantage, it would seem, of losing early and having two huge games late in the year. But looking at the season as a whole, assuming both sides win out, there is no way OU SHOULD pass Texas logically. If coaches subscribe to logic remains to be seen.

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It's pure BS for one team to be ranked ahead of the other when they have the same record and the latter won head-to-head. Sorry, but that's bs. Yeah, it may happen....but it's bs.

So since I have some tickets to resell, what matchup do you think will draw the highest resell price?

And is no one else excited about Tech going to a title game? I think that would be exciting.

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Who said the BCS was logical? I absolutely agree that OU shouldn't pass us but the projected computer rankings + human rankings say otherwise. And trust me, you don't have to explain the all the games and schedules, I'm all over that.

With that said, you do know that Tech is #1 in the computer rankings right? All I'm saying is that it is being projected that late wins over a #1 and #16 will likely give OU a higher computer ranking, if not the same, and that the human rankings, which has typically had a "what have you done for me lately" mentality, will probably give OU a higher BCS ranking.

17. Major

Major Member

Where are you seeing projections that OU will have a better computer ranking than Texas? Texas should end up with a more difficult schedule. Texas's mediocre non-conf + Missouri should be rated better than OU's non-conf TCU, Cinci, 1AA team, and 0-9 team. Late vs early wins don't affect computer rankings.

18. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Florida vs. Texas/Oklahoma would probably get you the best resell value. Florida especially since the game is in Miami (no cost for airfare/lodging = a willingness to pay more for a ticket).

I'm trying to think of who I would be most scared to play against if Florida made it to the title game and I'm starting to put TT a lot higher up there. Florida's secondary has improved leaps and bounds from last year, but they've never seen a passing offense like Tech's. Most of the pass-happy offenses can easily be disrupted by a physical defense and strong pass rush (see Georgia/Hawaii and Alabama/Texas Tech bowl games from the past couple years), but one of the reasons Tech seems so much more deadly this year is that their offensive line is playing unreal. They are basically playing a 7-on-7 drill out there.

I'd like to play Texas though. Tim Tebow vs. Colt McCoy would make for a hell of a game.

19. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Am I the only one that thinks an undefeated Utah team (that's still a big if), should at least deserve SOME consideration for the title game if there are none or one undefeated team from the "Big 6" at the end of the season? If they finish things out undefeated, they'd have a pretty solid resume.

20. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I thought last year with Hawaii running the table deserved some consideration considering that a 2 loss LSU team got in. But turned out they didnt based on their peformance versus georgia...

I'd consider a undefeated team in a mid major over a 2 loss team but not over a 1 loss team.