1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NCAA Football] Nov. 9 Polls & BCS Rankings

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by King of 40 Acres, Nov 9, 2008.

1. RedRaiderRocket

It is crazy being a Tech fan. Right now the only possibility Tech making the BCS, is playing for the national championship game. If it is a 3 way tie Tech will play in the Cotton Bowl, which would suck. If that happeneds pretty much all we played for we would mean nothing. If asked before the season possibly going 11-1, I would say it was a successful year, and automatic bid to a BCS game. This year not so much.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Not true. I think Tech can win out and lose the Big 12 title game and still get into the National Title Game.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You're probably right. Tech doesn't have the national fan base that the Fiesta Bowl would be looking for...especially if they get stuck with Utah or one of the other non-bcs teams. They would have to have a big seller...i.e. UT or OU. It's just the economics of the game and has nothing to do with the actual teams. If Tech has one loss (assuming it's not to Baylor or the North's rep in the title game), they deserve a BCS game.

4. justtxyank

The worst case scenario for the BCS is Tech losing the Big 12 title game. If that happens, you could see Tech/OK/or Texas in the BCS title game and then Missouri in a BCS Bowl Game.

5. fredred

fredred Member

And that right there shows why this system is fatally flawed. We play the exact same schedule except we got the North's champion and we beat OU head to head, how could they possibly be ranked above us? If the only thing determining the fate of teams is how early in the season we lost, we have a major problem...

And to play devil's advocate, supposed OU beats Tech and OSU. That would leave a three way tie for the South and the tiebreaker would be BCS ranking. But no matter who is ranked higher, they would have lost to one of the two teams below them, I can imagine the outrage right now...

Oh Blake Gideon, a bottle of stick-em would have solved all of our headaches.

6. justtxyank

On the flipside though, if Tech beat you and then OU beats Tech and you beat OU, how are the voters supposed to decide which was the better team?

7. fredred

fredred Member

You realize UT and OU have played identical schedules, except we (Texas) played the best team in the North and beat Oklahoma head to head. There is no way OU jumps UT in the unbiased computer polls, but they seem to have the human vote for reasons unbeknown to logic. IF they beat Tech, it's going to be very interesting.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

What I meant was that OU would have to have poor showing but still pull out the win. Something like blowing a big lead at home or an abnormal amount of TOs.

9. fredred

fredred Member

That's what I was referring to in the second paragraph. There will be two groups of fans very rightfully pissed off no matter who gets picked (assuming OU beats Tech). So you can look at margin of victory (sketchy), strenght of schedule (Texas is the only team to play Mizzou, so they have the upper hand there) and other minute factors (such as UT losing and potentially Tech losing on the road, UT beating OU on a neutral field).
    But more then likley, the computers will have Texas ranked as the highest of the three based on the factors above, but OU will be the coaches favorite. Tech gets screwed by both polls since they have less tradition that coaches love and a marginally easier schedule.
    So the question then is will the human poll have OU far enough ahead to overcome UT's lead in the computers. Hold your breath....

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Could be argued that Texas lost @ Tech on a freak last play in an epic game while beating OU at a neutral site...who beats Tech at home.

Therefore, Texas FTW! :D

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

That's not entirely true, it is pretty much set that OU will jump UT in the computer polls should they win out. As I posted earlier, the only real chance we have in a 3-way tie scenario is for the human voters to vote us in.

We did gain some ground in both the computer rankings and the human rankings this week, but should OU beat the #2 and #13 the last 2 games of the season, it is very likely that they move ahead of us in both the computer and human rankings.

12. RedRaiderRocket

I don't know much about the BCS does the computers have any calculations from a neautral site game vs a home, or road game.

13. fredred

fredred Member

Now watch Tech go maul OU and make all of this irrelevant...I can't decide if i love college football because of this crap or hate it. Hopefuly, no matter what happens in Norman the Rose Bowl will give Penn State the bird and pick a Big 12 team to go up against USC. A Texas-USC rematch there would be my consolation for not making the National Championship game.

14. fredred

fredred Member

I think they factor everything in when it comes to strength of schedule, including road/home/neutral.

Now I'm just wishing Kansas and A&M weren't so bad this year so we would get more credit for beating them (assuming we do).

15. Fatty FatBastard

Hate to burst UT fan's bubble, but there is VERY little chance UT will be in the Big XII championship this year. Tech beating OSU pretty much sealed your fate.

If OU wins out, they will leapfrog you. The only people debating this is UT fan. UT will have an argument, obviously, but it won't matter except for radio talk shows.

If Tech wins out, they're obviously in. If Tech beats OU but loses to Baylor, Tech is in.

If OU beats Tech but loses to OSU, Tech is in.

The only real way for UT to be in is if Tech loses to OU and Baylor and OU loses to OSU.

Oddly enough, the odds are much better for UT to play for the National Championship.

If Tech wins out, but loses to Mizzou, UT should be the favorite to play in the National Championship.

So, UT fans. Suck it up, and root for Tech vs. OU. It's what you want to do in your hearts, anyway.

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Okay, Baqui first said this then gucci and now Fatty...I honestly don't see any way possible for Texas to make the NC game if they don't make the Big 12 championship game. justtxyank is the only person I see that is refuting this and he is right. After the Nebraska debacle in the 2001 season, I just don't see a team from either the Big 12 or SEC that didn't make the conference championship game getting into the NC game. And the reason why I know this is that Georgia last season was arguably the hottest team in the country but they had 2 losses which were both in the SEC and cost them from playing in the SEC Championship Game. That is why LSU was able to go even though they lost to Arkansas around Thanksgiving weekend - because they had still clinched the SEC West and then won the SEC Championship Game. They also had 2 losses but the argument was that they had won the SEC Championship while Georgia didn't even make it.

I think what will happen is that OU beats Tech mainly because that game is in Norman and then they will beat OSU and they will get the tiebreaker to win the Big 12 south. And they will beat Missouri in the Big 12 Championship Game and Florida will beat Alabama to set up an OU-UF NC game. As much as I hate that matchup and the flawed system we have, you can pretty much book it that is the way it will happen.

So, the moral of the story is

1) Make your conference championship game (if your conference has one, you listening Big 10 (er 11) and Pac 10??) and win it
    2) Get on a roll from the middle of the season to the end and if you have to lose, lose early in the season.

Texas' crime was that they beat OU in early October and not in late November.

17. Major

Major Member

The problem with this logic is: who are the alternatives? For simplicity, lets put the SEC team in there. If Missouri wins the B12, you're eliminating Tech/Texas/OU. Who else is there?

No way Penn State will make it - their computer ratings are shot and everyone agrees that the B10 sucks this year. USC has an outside shot, though it's computer ratings have the same problem, and they don't even control their own destiny to win their conference either. Who else do you put in there? Utah?

18. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I'm just guessing but probably USC would play the SEC winner (which I feel will be Florida). And that is another reason why I hate the BCS - the media went on and on last season about how Georgia shouldn't have been in the NC game since they didn't make the SEC Championship Game. Well, make that a requirement to get in the BCS NC game - if your conference has a championship game, you must make it to be able to make the BCS NC game. I agree that Penn State won't make it. The more I think about it, I think that Texas has a better chance than normal in this scenario mainly because they would be joining another team that had 1 loss (assuming that OU doesn't lose after beating Tech and Tech finishes with 1 loss) in not making the Big 12 Championship Game. But, yea I will probably go ape**** if Texas or someone else from the Big 12 south makes the BCS NC game even though they didn't make their own conference championship game.

Which once again - every conference should have a conference championship game. It is not fair that some of these conferences like the Big 10 and Pac 10 get away with not having a conference championship games while others like the SEC, Big 12, and ACC do.

19. DPballer

DPballer Member

It isn't even just about that one head to head victory on a neutral field. Texas should be ranked higher because they have the better resume.

20. DPballer

DPballer Member

Texas fans should be rooting HARD for the Utah Utes to win out. They are what separates Texas from Florida and OU in the computer rankings. Since the points are ranking dependent only, Florida's and OU's computer scores would automatically boost with Utah losing, since they'd go up one spot.