1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NCAA Football] Nov. 30 Polls & BCS Rankings

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by King of 40 Acres, Nov 30, 2008.

1. AkeemTheDreem86

Just heard that. Right after he said "those folks down in Texas aren't gonna be too happy," or something like that...

2. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

3. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Of course it matters. The prestige, the national spotlight, and oh, THE MONEY.

Cotton Bowl expected payout: $3 million
    BCS Bowl expected payout: $17 million

4. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I doubt the announcers would find out. Too easy to accidentally spill.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Texas is up by only 6 in the new Harris poll

looks like OU will play Mizzou for the Big XII

6. halfbreed

:(

Harris is bad news for UT

7. bigtexxx

It appears Rice received 12 points in the Harris poll, putting them at #32 in the country!

8. halfbreed

I won't even bother asking who you think should go.

9. AkeemTheDreem86

Oh I couldn't agree more, it was most likely speculation. I'm just saying they said it.

10. drumbum

drumbum Member

What doesn't make sense to me is that UT was 3 in the human polls, and 2 in the computer polls heading into this week. Although they did beat OKC, I just don't understand how a computer can't factor in a head to head...

What percent of the ranking is the computer?

11. Major

Major Member

That bowl money is split by the conference - so it doesn't matter who goes. As long as the B12 gets 2 BCS teams, it's all the same.

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Where is your Rice v. Texas basketball thread?

13. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=roadtobcs/0807a

Harris poll key to deciphering Texas or Oklahoma BCS question

Now that the latest coaches' poll is in hand, the rest of the BCS equation -- and how it affects the Big 12 South -- is a little bit easier to figure.

Well, a little bit.

Texas trailed Oklahoma by 41 points in the coaches' poll last week, but the Longhorns closed that gap to just one point today.

The only computer rating that has been released so far is Sagarin's, in which Oklahoma jumped from fourth to first. Unfortunately for the Sooners, that can't happen with all six computers because two of them already had Oklahoma ahead of Texas, and one of those (Massey's) already had OU ranked No. 1.

My estimate is that either the Sooners will have the narrowest of leads over the Longhorns in the computer part of the formula, or those teams will be tied in that column. How much of a margin Texas must lead Oklahoma by in the Harris poll, which is scheduled to be released at approximately 4 p.m. ET, will depend on which of those possibilities in the computers is reality.

If Oklahoma has a one-point advantage in the computers, which translates to one-tenth of a point in the BCS standings, Texas needs to lead OU by 31 points or more in the Harris poll to come out on top. If the teams are tied in the computers, the Horns will need only a two-point lead in the Harris poll to stay ahead in the BCS standings and advance to the Big 12 championship game against Missouri.

Coming into this week, Oklahoma had a 21-point Harris poll advantage on Texas, so clearly, a lot of ground must be made up. But if the Harris voters react similarly to those in the coaches' poll, the Longhorns can pull it off.

Stay tuned. I'll post an update as more information becomes available.

Brad Edwards is a college football researcher at ESPN. His Road to the BCS appears weekly during the season.

14. bigtexxx

When there's a 3-way tie, there's no clear team that merits going. You can argue till you're blue in the face and still not have an answer

The computers should have OU in front, so that probably is the most objective way to determine things, although still flawed

15. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Ya that UT Utah game will have a huge spot light.

ANd isnt the money distributed through the conference evenly. I'm 65% sure.

16. Major

Major Member

Only hope is that the computers keep us tied. Looks like Missouri losing is going to cost us.

17. VesceySux

Y'know, in the back of my mind, I knew that. Oh, well. Scratch the money and focus on the prestige and spotlight. :)

18. halfbreed

Not to mention Nebraska's 57 yarder.

19. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

Other than the fact that OU lost the heart Ryan Renolds, the heart of their defense, in the middle of the third quarter? UT outscores OU 25-7 after Reynolds went down (link). They had to bring in a freshman to replace their best defender and still almost beat UT.

You're in a Catch-22 dude. Either head-to-head trumps everything and y'all can't go to the Big 12 over Texas Tech, or you have to consider their body of work over an entire season which means OU certainly does have a case. Musberger rightly pointed out that OU's point differential against Big 12 South opponents and Kansas is better than Texas's, suggesting that OU has been the better team over the course of the Big 12 season.

And for the record, I think both teams have a case. I think it should be OU vs. UT for the national title. It's a down year for the SEC and I don't think Alabama or Florida have run the gauntlet that the Big 12 South teams have.

20. VesceySux

A BCS bowl is a BCS bowl. I think potential recruits would agree with that point.