1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NCAA Football] Nov. 16 Polls & BCS Rankings

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by King of 40 Acres, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Major

Major Member

That assumes that they use that order to break the ties. It could be that people say "well, OU lost on a neutral field, while TX/TT lost on the road, so let's eliminate OU. Now TX/TT are tied, and TX lost head-to-head, so TT goes".

Or if OU blows out OSU, voters could say "well, TX/OU/TT did a round robin with each other, but they all played OSU and only TX was close. So let's eliminate TX and then between OU/TT, OU won head-to-head, so they go".

I don't think either of these will happen, but my point is that it's all arbitrary how you eliminate that first team to get to a head-to-head decision. We're not really sure how voters will look at the three yet. We're kind of assuming they will eliminate Tech first, but they might just look at them all as one-loss teams and look which has been most impressive recently - in which case OU closing with two big nationally televised wins favors them a lot.

2. Fatty FatBastard

[​IMG]

/UT hippie's season

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

UT is going to get screwed on this. but until they have a better system (freaking playoff people) you have to win all your games or things just become subjective and the guessing starts.

:mad: :mad:

4. Fatty FatBastard

[​IMG]

5. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Not really. I mean all we do this week is see if we might play for the MNC (If OU wins) or the Fiesta Bowl (If Tech wins). Not a bad way to spend the bye week.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Let's not make this into rocket science. Alabama and Texas Tech are undefeated and are in major BCS conferences. That, by itself, puts them at #1 & #2. Debate the order all you want. Points can be made on both sides. If you don't agree with that, let's end the discussion.

UT and Florida both have one loss and belong behind Alabama and Tech. To say it's "a joke" to rank Florida ahead of UT is silly. I'm not debating who should be #3, just that such a subjective discussion has room for either side. If you feel strongly it should be UT, so be it.

7. Fatty FatBastard

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lKAxBRqqHN4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lKAxBRqqHN4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(Rocketman Tex will get this...)

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

hey now hey now UT still has a chance :)

9. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

This is exactly it, and until a better system comes along (cough, playoff, cough), it's a good idea. Last year Virginia Tech was #1 in the computer rankings, but did anyone honestly consider them the best team in the nation? In 2006, we would've seen a rematch between a Ohio State and Michigan in the BCS National Championship, because after all, Michigan was #2 and the only team they lost to was the #1 ranked Buckeyes. Thank God for the voters because both of those teams got SLAUGHTERED their bowl games.

The voters see UF making SEC history with their recent domination. They think they are the best one-loss team in the nation based on that. UF is getting the proverbial "style points" that help when you are in a BCS beauty pageant. Sure, UT lost to the #2 team on the road on a last-second play, but voter subjectivity allows them to override that. It's not an exact science, and you have to be careful with intra-conference ranking arguments, and you don't have to look far back to figure out why (see again, 2006 OSU/Michigan).

An argument can be made both ways for UT or UF being ranked higher. However, the more important factor, is that there shouldn't be an argument at this point on whether Oklahoma or UT should be ranked higher.

10. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

That's probably going to change if OU beats Tech by 2 touchdowns...

I wants this to screw up so badly...OU take out Tech hard and we'll see a disaster in the BCS...

If OU wins out big, they'll play for the championship...

I want that to happen, not because I hate UT or because I'm a OU lover, far from it...I want this system to screw up...and then wait for university presidents to say the system is perfect...

This would also be sweet...
    Auburn beats Alabama - Alabama beats Florida - OU beats Tech by 14 - USC doesn't make Pac 10 champs

Texas/OU National Championship? That'll be sweet

11. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

No way the voters allow OU to get into the Big XII CG. Mizzou vs OU, two teams Texas beat, not gonna happen.

12. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Denial.

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It still makes no sense and is inconsistent. There are two schools of thought. Either judge the teams by merit, or judge them by the eyeball test. Whether you realize it or not, by putting Alabama and Texas Tech at 1 and 2, you are judging them by merit. If you're going to do that, you should be consistent and do it all the way through. I'd love to hear a merit-based case on how Florida has accomplished more this season than Texas, and you still haven't given it to me.

It is a joke to rank Florida ahead of UT, if you're going to use a merit-based system. If you're not, there's nothing wrong with that -- but if you do that, why rank Alabama ahead of Florida? If you say "because they have a better record," well, you're flip-flopping and going back to merit. And no, there's nothing that says voters or fans can't flip-flop... but they just need to be aware of the consequences of such illogical actions, which is people like me b****ing at them. :)

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well said, and take into consideration that the SEC is just not that good this year.

DD