1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NCAA Football] Dec. 7 Polls, BCS Rankings & Selections

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by King of 40 Acres, Dec 7, 2008.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Agreed, you guys had a great year...the perfect storm.

Leach is the key for you guys to stay competitive.

DD

2. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

We'll see on Dec 30 who is the better team

GO COWBOYS!!! We're going duck huntin'!!!!

3. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Fell out when the Bowl Coalition restructured into the Bowl Alliance.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Do you think he's leaving?

5. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

The Cotton Bowl was never in the BCS. Word is they are trying to position themselves as the next BCS Bowl game to be added when they move the game to the New Cowboys Stadium in Arlington beginning in 2010.

And yes Texas should play Alabama but it's highly unlikely unless some behind the scenes negotiations are taking place.

6. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

BTW the margin the USA Today poll pretty much cements UF and OU, with Texas 3rd. Had Texas picked up another 10 votes it might have got interesting, sadly, no.

If you don't consider one teams defense, sure. When was the last NC team to give up over 40 points against TWO opponents.

You have two great offenses. One of the better defenses in the county, and of the worst defenses for a team ranked #1 in recent memory.

Florida's advantage in defense and special teams could make this game a laugher.

Now I don't think Florida has the best or even 2nd best resume, OU and Texas do based on competition and quality wins, but I do think Florida is the best team. Whether OU, UT, USC, Bama or PSU is next best is honestly up to debate. OU has the offensive edge, USC the defense, PSU and Bama are pretty stout on defense too and have good olines--they can beat some good teams on good days. Texas is probably the most balanced in the country, after UF. Any of these teams could beat one another--but in all phases I think UF is tops.

7. fredred

fredred Member

Last I checked all three teams have a loss. No one "took care of business". Florida lost at home to a worse team than Tech. So go crawl back whatever College Station hole you came out of and leave college football talk to a team with a winning record.

8. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Is the Harris poll out yet?

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

College football fans at least deserve to see Bama vs UT. I hate the way we as fans are prisoners to these old geezers that are making all of the decisions and worrying more about profits and less about adding any legitimacy to the sport. Ugh.

10. RedRaiderRocket

I believe he will. Auburn seems like a better option for a head football coach. The fact that he was even remotely interested in going to Washington a team that was winless leads me to believe he will be gone. If he truly wanted to stay he would have accepted our 5 year offer by now in my opinion. If he leaves we will be in the same boat as A&M this year. I do think he is the best coach at getting the most out of his players by only getting the 3rd best recruits in his own state.

11. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

It is pretty annoying, but I'm not sure we'll ever get a big change in that department. The big bowls want to make sure they'll get a team from their region so that they can sell tickets.

12. fredred

fredred Member

Where has Florida proven to have a good defense? They gave up 30+ to Jevon Snead for Christsakes. Everyone is so sure the Big 12's D is so bad, they don't realize just how good a couple of these offenses are. Also, OU's defense could be a good match for Florida, since they are very athletic and have plenty of speed. Let's not forget they shut Tech down, OU CAN play defense, and I expect Florida to be somewhat exposed against whichever Big 12 team they play.

13. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Do you ever watch sports or do you just watch ESPN? The computers put us in after we took a hit in the voting after Mack's appeals to the voters.

Their disappointment didn't play into it. They faced a Tech team that was simply better than they were.

14. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Well, according to the NCAA Division I-A Football website, Florida is #9 in total defense, #5 in scoring defense, and #3 in turnovers gained. All done while playing the #4 toughest schedule.

15. fredred

fredred Member

Funny how they've played the #4 toughest schedule while only playing 2 or 3 ranked teams. The SEC has been down this year, especially on offense. When LSU wins games without a quarterback, that should tell you something. You can point to stats all you want, just like USC has, supposedly, the best defense of all time, giving up 8 points a game. But they gave up 30+ in the one game that was close and 150+ rushing yards to a 5'7" running back. Lies, damn lies and statistics.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

And the winner should be named Co-National Champ. At least to piss some people off.

17. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What I never understood is how there can be a National Champion in College Football without a play off system. High school football has a pretty good playoff implementation, in my opinion.

18. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Fact is, you can make reciprocal arguments for each conference. Is Florida's D that good, or is it because SEC offenses are down, or a combination of both? Does the Big 12 know how to play defense, or are their offenses that good, or a combination of both? Fact is, we won't know the answers to these questions until you start seeing inter-conference games during the bowls. These is why you can't put too much stock into statistics and strength of schedule while teams are playing inside their conference bubbles. Our D has had some outstanding performances (our starting D has given up so little touchdowns that I can count them on 2 hands), and you can't ask them to do much more than that. We haven't played a team with the offensive firepower of Oklahoma, so I'm looking forward to see if our D is for real.

I don't think many people realize this since it wasn't a nationally televised game, but a huge reason we lost the Ole Miss game and why they scored so many points on us is that we fumbled the ball over twice in our own territory coming out of halftime. Both times leading to Ole Miss scores. You can only ask your D to do so much when you set them up with the opposition already in scoring position.

And don't hate on little RBs, we've got two of them and they are a huge reason we are #11 in rushing offense this year. ;)

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . ..at the end of the year
    If Texas and Texas Tech win their bowls
    [regardless of OU/Florida]

they will be in the top 3 correct?

Rocket River

20. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Tech won't be in the top 3 unless lots of other 1-loss teams lose.