1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBD< info

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pat, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nuggets get NBDL stake
    Denver can send players to new Austin, Texas, team
    By Marc J. Spears
    Denver Post Staff Writer

The Nuggets and three other NBA teams will start the first minor-league affiliation in Austin, Texas.

NBA senior vice president Stu Jackson and NBA Development League president Philip Evans are scheduled to announce team affiliations today. The Nuggets, San Antonio Spurs, Houston Rockets and Los Angeles Clippers are expected to be affiliated with the new NBDL franchise in Austin. The NBA will be affiliated with the now eight-team NBDL for the first time in the 2005-06 season.

NBA teams can send players with less than two years' experience to play for the NBDL teams. Players on the Nuggets' roster eligible to play for Austin include rookies Julius Hodge, Linas Kleiza, Ricky Sanchez and Luke Schenscher. NBA teams will pay the salaries of players sent to the NBDL and will lose a roster spot for any player sent down. Teams can option a maximum of two players at one time to the minors. A player can't be optioned more than three times.

The Austin Toros begin play Nov. 25 at Arkansas (Little Rock) and open at home Nov. 26 against Fayetteville (N.C.). The team will be coached by former NBA coach and player Dennis Johnson, who coached NBDL Florida last season.

Former Nuggets interim coach and NBA player Michael Cooper is coaching NBDL Albuquerque.

Staff writer Adam Thompson contributed

2. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Hopefully it will catch fan intrest for Houston and then they'll play Rockets games out there instead of SA. (most likely not gonna hppen right away with the spurs being chanps and all) Either way, i've recieved a couple of tepting job offers in Austin, and those games would be fun to watch. It's about time they start a minor league system. There's to many good college players that just need a couple more years to develop. Like the CBA, you will see some impacts in the league. I would just miss moving and leaving behind 3 pro teams, so there's almost always something to do every night. :(

3. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Kinda sad all we have to send is Luther Head. :(

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Luther Head, and Jay Williams ;)

HURRAH !!

I got 6 season tickets to the Toros because I was hopeful they would be affiliated with the Rockets....

And...whew.......looks like they will be.....I can't wait for the official announcement today.

DD

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

hmmm ...so we lose a roster spot if we send someone down?

so i guess that means, if Head goes up to Austin, then we can only carry 12 + 2 on the IL, or would it be 11 active and 3 on the IL?

6. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

That's really weird. What's the point of sending someone to the NBDL if you can't replace him on the roster?

7. DaDakota

Same thing in baseball with the 40 man roster.

In the NBA, it has gone from 12 to 15..........

DD

8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Not a baseball fan/follower. Explain please?

9. DaDakota

Confirmed by the VP of the Austin Toros...I sent him an email asking if it was true...and this is his response !

You are on top of things. Yes, today at 3:00 p.m. eastern an announcement will be made that the Austin Toros will be the minor league affiliate of the Spurs, Rockets, Nuggets, and Clippers. This is HUGE news.

WOOHOOOO !!!! Makes me very happy.

DD

10. Nero

Nero Member

There is no more IL . It is now more like the NFL - you have a minimum of 12 'Active' players, and up to 3 'Inactive' players, for a total of 15. If one of your Inactive players goes to the NBDL, so be it. He is still on your 15-player overall roster.

So if we were to sign JW, and send both he and Head to the NBDL, then we would have our 12 dressed players, and one guy in streets.

Seems awfully unlikely that we sign JW, simply because our roster is already at 16 as it is, and no one is going to help us out with a 2-for-1 or a 3-for-1 trade before the season. Unless Les is willing to eat the contracts of at least two current guys, AND lose some bargaining power for a trade-deadline deal, we can forget about the JW Experiment'.

11. DaDakota

The funny thing is that it might be best for the team to jettison, Ward, Mooch, and Baker now....and just move on.

If the Rockets were so concerned about final year contracts, they would not have released Weatherspoon, as he had the most attractive final year contract.

I would just move on....you still have Wesley in his final year.

DD

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That depends on what they know. It's possible they've already talked to some teams about two for one or three for one deals, and that those teams have told them "Let's see where we're at as the trading deadline approaches."

If that's the case, you keep those contracts. Otherwise, I basically agree with you. I'm happy with this team.

13. DaDakota

More confirmation.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Toros Season Ticket Holder and Partner,

As a Toros Insider we are committed to keeping you informed of important Toros and NBA news alerts before they are released to the general public. Today at 2:00 p.m. CST the NBA will announce the direct NBA team affiliations for the Toros and the other seven NBA Development League franchises. This is the major milestone in the establishment of a true minor league system for the NBA, the first NBA sanctioned and affiliated system in the history of the league.

Effective today, the Austin Toros will be the official minor league affiliate of four NBA teams, including the NBA World Champion San Antonio Spurs, Houston Rockets, Los Angeles Clippers and Denver Nuggets. Each of these teams will now have the ability to allocate rookie and/or one year players to the Toros. The Toros’ NBA-affiliates will each have the option of assigning up to two (2) players to the Toros roster at any given time during the NBA season. No NBA player may be given more than three (3) assignments during the same season.

The Spurs and Rockets are the two most popular NBA teams in central Texas, while the Nuggets and Clippers are two of the most exciting, young and developing teams in the league. It is with great pride and excitement that the Toros enter into these NBA affiliations.

As a member of the Toros family, please join us in sharing this historic announcement with sports fans throughout Austin!

Thank you for your support and Go Toros!

Mike Berry

President, Austin Toros

COO, Southwest Basketball LLC

301 Congress, Suite 1275

Austin, TX 78701

O: 512-236-8333

F: 512-236-8444

austintoros.com

---------------------------------------------------

WOOOH OOOOOO !!

14. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

how much are season tix? and where will they play..erwin center?

15. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is what I tried to tell the Manlove Badiane supporters around her for some time. The Rox are not going to waste a roster spot on that stiff by putting him in the NBDL.

16. DaDakota

Varying pricing schedules....from $10 - $100 I think.

They play the games in the Austin convention center.

DD

17. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.nba.com/dleague/nbdl/dleague_affiliation_050919.html

NBA Announces D-League Affiliation

NEW YORK, Sept. 19 – The National Basketball Association announced today its new affiliation and assignment system for the NBA Development League. Under this system, each of the eight current D-League teams will be affiliated with either three or four NBA teams, and the NBA teams may assign players in their first two seasons to play in the D-League.

“This is another step in the right direction to assist in the continuing development of players,” said Stu Jackson, NBA Senior Vice President, Basketball Operations. “It has long been our goal to have team affiliations between the NBA and the D-League and this structure should be mutually beneficial to both leagues and the players.”

“This is terrific news for basketball fans in D-League markets”, said Phil Evans, NBA Development League President. “Now, in addition to seeing the best basketball players in the world not currently in the NBA, they will have the opportunity to see current NBA players as well, some of whom will be future NBA stars. We've now made a quality entertainment product even better.”

This affiliation and assignment system will be reviewed by the NBA after the 2005-06 season, and if additional D-League teams are added for the 2006-07 season, affiliations will be adjusted to correspond with the total number of D-League teams..

Assignment Rules:

An NBA team may assign any player on its Active List or Inactive List to play in the D-League, provided that the player has zero or one Years of Service at the time of Assignment.
    No players may be given more than three Assignments during any season. There is no minimum or maximum length of a D-League assignment.
    During the 2005-06 season, no NBA team may have more than two players on assignment at the same time.
    A player on Assignment will be carried on the Inactive List of his NBA Team.
    The D-League offers players the opportunity to develop their talent in a highly competitive atmosphere under the NBA’s umbrella. Thirty-four (34) players have been called up from the D-League to the NBA on 50 separate occasions. Eleven (11) former D-League coaches, five athletic trainers, 11 referees and 29 front office executives have also been called up since the start of the league’s inaugural season in November 2001.

Designed to help grow the sport of basketball both domestically and internationally, the league also offers fun, family entertainment at affordable prices. The D-League is a source of on-court talent for the NBA’s 30 teams and is a diverse human resources pool for the NBA and its teams by training employees in management, operations, public relations, sales and marketing positions.

2005-06 NBA DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE TEAM AFFILIATIONS

Albuquerque Thunderbirds
    Phoenix Suns
    Sacramento Kings
    Seattle SuperSonics
    Utah Jazz

Arkansas RimRockers
    Atlanta Hawks
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Memphis Grizzles
    Toronto Raptors

Austin Toros
    Denver Nuggets
    Houston Rockets
    Los Angeles Clippers
    San Antonio Spurs

Fayetteville Patriots
    Charlotte Bobcats
    Detroit Pistons
    New York Knicks

Florida Flame
    Boston Celtics
    Miami Heat
    Minnesota Timberwolves
    Orlando Magic

Fort Worth Flyers
    Dallas Mavericks
    Golden State Warriors
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Portland Trail Blazers

Roanoke Dazzle
    New Jersey Nets
    Philadelphia 76ers
    Washington Wizards

Tulsa 66ers
    Chicago Bulls
    Indiana Pacers
    Milwaukee Bucks
    New Orleans Hornets

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Those are some horrific team names.

19. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

When I lived in Tucson, they had the Tucson Toros, who were in the Astros' minor league circuit. Now I get to root for more Toros! W00t

20. DaDakota

If anyone is coming to town, I will happily share some of my tickets to the Toros.....I have 4 seats center court 2nd row (about 12 feet from the court) and I have 2 seats on the floor just behind the Toros bench.

DD