1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBCSports] Cavs offer for Paul Pierce

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by AndySwanny, Jun 23, 2013.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Looks photoshopped badly to me.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

In an "asset" type of deal then yeah, that makes sense. But Pierce isn't Allen, he isn't even KG or Rivers. Pierce has been the franchise cornerstone for like the past gazillion years, IMHO it would be better to wait him out and then let him retire a Celt. Also how bad does it sound that you traded your franchise guy for 2 2nd round picks? LOL Simmons would probably write a 1000 page rant.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

I think even Simmons has recognized that a full rebuild is due, and is totally expecting them to blow up the entire team. Simmons was thrilled on Twitter about getting a 1st rounder for Doc. I dont see why he wouldn't think it was a good idea to get "something" for Pierce instead of watching him get bought out, and sign with a WC super-power.

For the Cavs, I just dont understand why they would want to eat the cap space his full contract will take up this next season just to bring in a solid veteran scorer.

That team has alot going for it, and they should learn from the Rockets about keeping patient with their flexibility to bring in the right player... not just a player. This move would just scream desperation to be relevant by Gilbert IMO.

They already have one young superstar, and are on the right path to building via the OKC model. Paul Pierce at this stage of his career doesn't really make much sense to me..... but go for it Gilbert.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

I think we've already determined what kind of woman the Celtics are; now we're just haggling on the price.

Seriously, they are shopping him, right? Is it somehow less of a treachery if they get the #1 overall than if they get 2 second-rounders? They showed their colors when they shopped him. Now, it's just time to set the price, and the Cavs are offering something that actually seems pretty fair to the Celtics.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Hakeem was (signed-and-)traded to Toronto for a first rounder (who ended up being Boki Nachbar) and a second rounder.

It's all been done before.

6. xiki

xiki Member

And more to the point is that (virtually) no one anywhere has any association of Hakeem in Rapsland. Montana a Chief anyone? Jackie Robinson a Giant???

Ainge is living with Auerback's ghost in that Bird and McHale retired with zero return. So, too, DJ. Parish brought little, if anything? And the C's floundered for an eon. Danny Boy does not want the cupboard bare for a great long time while waiting to amass enough pieces to recreate a new edition of the Big-3.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

In retrospect . . . and I know this is sacrilege . . . the Rockets may have made a mistake not trading Hakeem to Toronto two years earlier (in 1999 vs. in 2001) when they actually had a very good offer on the table.

In June 1999, the Toronto Raptors (allegedly) made an offer to the Rockets of the following for an aging Hakeem:

The #5 pick in the 1999 NBA Draft (which I'm guessing the Rockets may have used to take Wally Szczerbiak?)
    The #12 pick in the 1999 NBA Draft (who knows who the Rockets would have taken, but there were some good players available in that range)
    Doug Christie (a very good defender and versatile player)
    Kevin Willis (aging but still a pretty good low-post player)

(It's possible that the Rockets could have packaged those picks to move up to select Steve Francis at #2 without having to trade away Michael Dickerson or Othella Harrington, both of whom I really liked.)

Anyway, the Rockets (allegedly) leaked this trade offer to the media to (allegedly) gauge the fan reaction. Not surprisingly, it was overwhelmingly negative. If fans knew then what we know now, perhaps it would have been a little less negative, but it IS Hakeem Olajuwon we're talking about here.

So the Rockets didn't make the move. Pippen talked his way out of town for Kelvin Cato, Walt Williams and a pu pu platter of other Blazers. The Rockets made the Francis trade. Hakeem was relegated to a supporting role for a couple of years. Then, when his contract expired and he refused to accept a two-year, $13 million contract from Les Alexander, the Rockets signed-and-traded him to Toronto (where he actually did want to play to end his career) on a three-year, $18 million contract (on which he only played one year) in exchange for a future first rounder (eventually Boki Nachbar) and a future second rounder.

Oh, and go ask Houston Oilers fans if they remember Joe Montana as a Kansas City Chief. I know I do! :mad:

8. thething

thething Member

Hakeem demanded a trade, though. The Rockets were just doing him a favor.

9. basketballholic

LOL. I was living in KC and had season tickets to that Chiefs team. I remember Bud rattling all week about blitzing Montana and laughing out my socks knowing Montana was going to burn his butt. History...