1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBC's 'Green Week' (Sunday Night Footbal..)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nero, Nov 5, 2007.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

yeah. a bit dramatic....at least light a couple more candles :D

if they really wanted to make a statment the game should have been played in the dark

2. JeopardE

JeopardE Member

It definitely was utterly lame at best. I looked up, saw them with candles in the studio and I was like "are you kidding me? Is this some kind of underhanded insult to my intelligence or something?"

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

if you're referring to the attention the Daily Mail story got last year, the one which specifically compared Prius to Hummer, or the earlier CNW study, both of those reports have been fairly widely criticized as inaccurate.

but that's not what this thread is about. i think DonnyMost summed it up nicely:

that should sum up the entire debate, frankly. whether you believe in global warming or not, why should people trying to pollute less bother anyone?

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I strongly believe that global warming is being driven by human activity but I thought turning the lights down in the studio was hokey. A friend of mine made the comment taht if they were really serious about it NBC shold stop programming at 11PM like they used to so they wouldn't be using power to broadcast when not that many people are watching.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Enlighten us, oh wise and venerable internet badass.

*not that I think hybrid cars are great to begin with, but my point remains the same, why take issue with energy conservation? can anyone promote this subject nowdays without catching grief?

#25 DonnyMost, Nov 5, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  6. SWTsig

SWTsig Member

all in know is that ethanol is a joke.

7. Nero

Nero Member

How about, the nickel mine *in Canada* is the only mine in the world from which Toyota builds the batteries. This means that tons and tons of this extremely heavy and toxic metal are mined on one side of the planet, and SHIPPED to the other side.

But that's not all. Then, it is shipped to the UK. Then BACK to Japan. THEN shipped to the U.S. A prius would have to be in-service for ten years each just to make up for the fuel costs alone of shipping the batteries, not counting every other component of the vehicle.

But that's not all. Since people are suddenly so concerned with pollution, and wondering how someone could POSSIBLY be 'against polluting less' by criticizing things like the prius, consider that the area around this canadian nickel mine is considered one of the worst toxic pollution sites in the entire world. Absolutely nothing grows for miles and miles all around the site. It's horrific.

And those are just tidbits. If you care enough to have an opinion about something, then at least care enough to know enough to know when the wool is being pulled over your eyes.

The girl in that one commercial said 'I want to look greener', which is what this is all really about - appearances and touchy-feely guilt mitigation through empty gestures.

If these brainiacs at NBC and elsewhere really wanted to do something about pollution, energy conservation, and dependence from foreign oil, they would allow the building of new nuclear power plants, and allow drilling for the oil we already have here on our own soil in abundance. They would stress how important it is to have radiant barriers put into every house, and stop worrying about our light bulbs.

But no. These same 'conservationists' refuse to allow us to do anything of the sort. They don't want us to become more self-sufficient, they simply want us to 'sacrifice', to consume and use less, or, in reality, to *appear* as though we consume and use less, so they can 'look greener'.

It's infantile.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

:eek: That is SEXY talk, Nero.

How do you keep the chicks off you with such smarts, man?!?!? :(

I need to do my nickel mine research so I can score at clubs... :eek:

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

I can't wait to see what 30 Rock does.

10. A-Train

A-Train Member

Better yet, NBC should stop broadcasting its entire prime time lineup...

11. Nero

Nero Member

Who says I keep the chicks off me?

(well, my wife, but still)

And hey, you'll score at the clubs just fine after some handy nickel mine research.. it will let them know you are one of the few straight males left.. :D

Wait, you didn't mean one of those OTHER kinds of clubs did you?? LOL Well, doesn't matter, they want the straight guys there too..

12. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

What happened to the other straight males?

13. Nero

Nero Member

Castrated, brother.. mentally, if not physically..

14. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

Because they buy into that environmental nonsense without researching on their own, I get you.

What about people who's research is just reading a blog?

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Uh, wrong.

16. count_dough-ku

Well, I'd like them to keep The Office and Friday Night Lights around, but they can ditch Heroes for all I care.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Ditto. Keep Chuck, 30 Rock and Scrubs (well, it is the last season) and they can ditch the rest.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

I'm going to assume Toyota is in the business of making money. Maybe they are pushing hybrids now as loss leaders, though I don't see how that really helps them down the line.

The cheapest base price of a 6 cylinder Camry is $23,640. The base price of the hybrid is $25,200. That's obviously a difference of $1,560. That's per Toyota's website. For comparison purposes, the hybrid is probably between the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder, but there are so many differences between all their base models, its hard to tell. There's a 4 cylinder at $18,570, but then there's also one at $25,000. Split the difference, say there's a $3,000 price difference.

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2008/camry/models.html

Per mileage information I can find:

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/ToyotaCamry/

The hybrid on average gets about 10 mpg better than its non hybrid counterparts for the Camry. If you drive 100,000 miles on the car, and gas averages $2.79 a gallon, that's a 2,810 savings. In all likelihood, your mileage on the car would be higher, and gas prices will be higher in the future. At the same time, I expect the price difference between hybrid and non-hybrid models to decrease.

So, even if the entirety of the price difference between non-hybrid and hybrid versions are from the costs of shipping the nickel for the batteries, and even if all of those costs are directly associated with energy costs required to mine and ship such nickel, unless Toyota is trying to lose money, I don't know if your argument makes sense.

Nobody said hybrids are perfect. And there are certainly obvious and "hidden" costs to be concerned. But the CNW and associated reports were taken way out of context, and a quick google search can bust these myths that hybrids are actually less efficient.

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

I do use Google. Here's the link to the original story... http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages...ews.html?in_article_id=417227&in_page_id=1770

Notice the original story is not there. In its place is this:

The fact that the original paper removed the story altogether... not just corrected it, but removed it... hasn't stopped some right-wingers from repeating the wild claims mentioned in Nero's post.

20. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

Oh, I was trying to set him up for uber pwntage but I guess you spoiled my fun.