1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBC's 'Green Week' (Sunday Night Footbal..)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nero, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Nero

Nero Member

Ok, I just was wondering about other peoples' opinions about this stuff.

In case you missed it, the guys in the studio for Sunday Night Football last night were bragging about shutting down all the lights in the studio, to focus on 'Green is Universal' week.. and how they saved enough power by doing that to power a home for a year or some such.

So they sat there in the dark, playing with flashlights, and showing one 'hybrid' car commercial after another, or talking about 'alternative fuels' all night, etc etc.

I suppose your opinion of all of this would probably hinge on your personal position vis-a-vis 'global warming'.

As far as I am concerned, it was all nauseating at best, and extremely insulting to anyone with any actual intelligence, and those people in the studio and everyone involved with this particular marketing campaign just come across as utter fools.

The cynicism was astounding - in one of the very first 'commercials' (translation: short propaganda films), they show one person after another saying 'I want (whatever)' - 'I want a car that has low emissions', 'I want a car that doesn't harm the Earth', 'I want a car that runs on fuel I can grow, not drill for', and the biggest jaw-dropper of them all, incredible merely for being the only truly honest bit among them: 'I want to look greener.'

They are followed up by several commercials depicting a genial black man 'lecturing' small children about the wonders of hybrid vehicles, etc. Marx and Stalin must have been doing somersaults in their graves, in complete glee, delighted at how closely and properly NBC has adhered to the communist indoctrination playbook.

Anyway, I know there are probably some people here who already fully believe that 'global warming' is man-made or man-caused.. I actually am not interested in this becoming a political debate about 'climate change'.

Honestly, I am just curious as to peoples' opinions about NBC's marketing campaign, that's all.

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

You should have changed the channel.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

Climate change is not 100% man-made, but it is 100% man-exacerbated, and only man has the intelligence and wherewithall to do anything about it. More power to NBC for doing something about it, but they shouldn't use it as a club to hit the viewer over the head with.

4. weslinder

weslinder Member

I don't care if you believe Al Gore's apocalyptic predictions, you trumpet the last two years as "proof" that Global Warming was a big hoax, or if you fall somewhere in between. There's nothing wrong with conservation, and there's nothing wrong with NBC pushing it in their line-up.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Madden's hybrid bus.....

[​IMG]

6. SWTsig

SWTsig Member

i think you mean mussolini.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

I was wondering why in the hell the peacock (don't say **** - DKS) was green... I thought it was 'cuz they were playing in Philly. :D

8. count_dough-ku

That's true. Since I personally believe that "man-made global warming" is BS and all about politics, I think NBC is wasting their time. Then again, this is the same network that's been stuck in 4th place for years, so this type of promotion is par for the course with the idiots running that network.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

people trying to pollute less bothers you?

get over yourself man

10. Nero

Nero Member

You ought to do a little digging into how much pollution is created in the production of the toyota prius' batteries.

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I did change that channel. :D

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Just tell me.

Using google wastes too much electricity.

#12 DonnyMost, Nov 5, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  13. Nero

Nero Member

Heh. I already know about it. Having informed opinions is actually important to some people.

And some people clearly don't care enough to be bothered.

(nice edit though)

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

I was wondering what the hell was going on.. its a nice gesture and people should try to conserve less power (regardless of your opinion on global warming). However, it is also a little silly too but i guess that was for dramatic purposes

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

very true, people tend to undervalue the costs of the "safe alternatives"

16. underoverup

underoverup Member

this thread is getting super political already...........i thought it was pretty dumb having them sit there in the dark.

17. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

Some of us want to stop depending on Saudi and Venezuelan oil.

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

Come on, we all know global warming is caused by cow farts.

Sincerely,
    PETA

19. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

It's an NFL studio show. What do you expect, Shakespeare?

20. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I wouldn't have cared much about it at all if Costas wouldn't have been explaining it every 15 seconds. I don't watch the commercials so I didn't notice the theme there.