1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBC News] People who worry about climate change have mental health problems

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Dec 27, 2018.

1. bongman

bongman Member

The actions of religious folks seems to be more straneous. Spread the word, participate in the Sabath (every week), follow the word of God (everything in the bible), pray EVERYDAY, etc. These are things that believers constantly do in order to prepare for the next life or end of the world.

That's not the same?

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think humans are adaptable, and that we will be able to adapt. In my view, the Holocaust was a catastrophe . . . and humans got together and dealt with it. I believe climate change will be less traumatic. I also think that climate worriers tend to emphasize ONLY the negative impacts of predicted climate change, and never the potential positive impacts. In that sense, I think a true "cost-benefit analysis" has not yet been done--which would be necessary for a genuine policy discussion to begin.

I also believe that "on our current track" changes are already occurring. Just look at the slowdown in emissions in the U.S. which occurred without ratifying the Kyoto agreement or signing on to the Paris accord.

I agree the Trump era is a bit of a step backward, but the long-range policy genie is out of the bottle, and I believe we will see slow, lasting moves toward emissions reductions over time. I am also something of a technological optimist: I believe it is possible that we will come up with some kind(s) of geo-engineering solutions for removing carbon from the atmosphere, again over time.

3. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

no. I think you and I likely have different conceptions of "religion" and "religious"

4. bongman

bongman Member

Lets say that we have a difference in terminology. Does that change the fact that MAJORITY of believers perform certain actions that they would otherwise not do if they did not accept the proposition of the bible? As you claimed, it's keeping the climate change folks up all night. Do believers think of it less or more. Based on their actions, I would go with the later. If you agree with that, why is one more susceptible?

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I don't think you can generalize that the "MAJORITY of believers perform certain actions that they would otherwise not do if they did not accept the proposition of the bible." so I'm not quite sure what to say in response.

"{Climate change} is keeping the climate change folks up all night. Do believers think of it less or more." Again, are you asking "do believers in climate change think of it" (and what does "it" refer to here?) less or more (less or more than . . . what exactly?)" again, not trying to be dense, just having a hard time figuring out what you're asking me.

Hopefully if I get clearer on that then I can respond to the question "why is one more susceptible?"

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I might be wrong, but I believe people who literally believe in the biblical's end of the world LOOKS FORWARD to it. It's true acceptance and with that, I doubt there is room for negative emotion state, but there is room for joyful state (concerning the end of the world).

7. bongman

bongman Member

According to the claim Climate change advocates may stay up all night which can cause issues. People who subscribe to religion do more than just stay up all night. They perform actions to prepare for death or end of the world (not just before sleeping) like praying, mass, etc. Are these the actions of folks who are concerned about their future or they are just doing it for the heck of it?

The author and you to a certain degree, you, are comfortable with the idea that believing in climate change can cause folks to have mental issues. I will not disagree with that. if there could be a lot of factors that can cause mental issues, or other groups is able to cope with terrifying ideas, why single out a particular group?

8. bongman

bongman Member

double post ... deleted

#48 bongman, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How bad do you think climate change will be and its impact? The world is being slow to mount a campaign for finding technical solutions to excess co2 in the atmosphere - don't you think part of the solution is to take it seriously and have a two pronged approach? Reduce emissions to buy us more time?

Or do you feel the positive impact of climate change on Russia, Europe, and Canada will out weight the negative impact for the rest of the planet. Ironically, red states in the south will take the hardest hit from climate change while many northern blue states will benefit

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Honestly? I have no idea. But neither do most climate scientists. Here is precisely where there is no "consensus." At the risk of being criticized for "relying on a link," here's a Chris Mooney (of all people) article that describes the uncertainty surrounding the potential answer(s) to your question.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ios-and-the-best-ones/?utm_term=.16ca18ee3963

an excerpt:

there's more to the story at the link, including a discussion of other estimates that differ from Cox's and Huntingford's.

I think this is happening, particularly in the U.S. It may not be happening in China, India, and elsewhere. I do not believe that we can control China, India, and elsewhere.

I have no idea, this CBA topic is an area I have not spent much serious time on.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Do you know what the impact of 2.2 - 3.4 degree Celsius increase would be on life? It's still pretty bad. Here's an article from NASA talking about the significant impact of going from 1.5 degrees increase to 2.0 degrees

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2458/why-a-half-degree-temperature-rise-is-a-big-deal/

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

well again, your judgment is that the impact would be bad. An alternative view might welcome what we might term the 'evolutionary opportunity' of such a geologic event, which presumably would pave the way for all subsequent evolution--in much the same way that cyanobacteria once "polluted" the atmosphere with oxygen, paving the way for all subsequent evolution.

Now, I'm being partly facetious here, but there's a very real philosophical issue behind making such normative judgments of good or bad. If you're like Aldo Leopold, who lamented living in what he called a "world of wounds," then you're going to be sad about climate change and judge the potential impacts to be bad.

If on the other hand you're more optimistic and less inclined to melancholy, then perhaps you might see value in the grand experiment being conducted right before your eyes . . . and exclaim, what a time to be alive!! Just sayin' . . .

But appreciate the point about the possible effects of a 1.5 to 2 degree increase.

13. Nook

Nook Member

People “stay up worrying” about their loved ones, their health, their job and their mental wellbeing. Not many people stay up worrying about global warming.

That isn’t to say global warming isn’t important. It clearly is important and it is cute to utilize a bizarre article to down play global warming and infer there is some hysteria.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I mean I equate human suffering with the word bad. You can say that heck, we're all going to die and in the big scheme of things there is no good or bad - sure but then why have a moral position on anything? But I the evidence is predicting that climate change isn't going to be the kind of change that's going to improve lives, but it's going to be change that worsens it.

Change isn't a bad thing. A fire has positive impact by clearing out old trees for instance. But if 1,000 people die, is that a good or bad thing? Do we have a philosophical discussion about whether or not we try to stop that level of human suffering?

Anxiety about climate change is useless - that's true. But if collectively we care about a lot of people who will suffer - mostly people who don't use very much in terms of fossil fuels or cattle - then I do feel we have an obligation to take steps as a species to ensure we aren't going to F a lot of people including ourselves.

You are right, we don't understand the impact fully of climate change. Ecosystems are complex and seemingly innocent changes can have dramatic impact. Change creates opportunities for some, and hardships for others. But generally speaking, when you have 7 billion people dependent on how things are currently, change is a massive risk - and that risk translates to both survivability and the global economic health.

The logical course is to take steps to slow down this change by cutting emissions as well as investing in technology that will reduce the Co2 in the air - and do it as a strong effort not the half hearted one that's currently underway.

Os Trigonum likes this.