1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBATALK: 4-way trade lands Mo in Seattle, just waiting league approval

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by New Jack, Aug 21, 2000.

1. New Jack

New Jack Member

I think New York definitely got the best of this deal getting Baker AND Rice. It looks like either Houston or Sprewell are on their way out of New York with Glen Rice joining the team.

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

2. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

What makes you think that spre or houston is out just because of rice. From what I'm hearing Rice from the Knicks chat board, is that the rumors are that Rice will be coming off the bench. But if spre is avaiable, the rockets could use him at SF (maybe?)

------------------
    Life is but a dream

3. Thanos

Thanos Member

For those who think that adding Ewing doesn´t make sense, wake up.

The guy is INSTANT capspace, just add water.

He is on the last year of a HUGE contract that would make either Seattle or the Wiz one of the prime free agent landing spots next year.

With arguaby 17million of cap, they could even let go of Mo himself and pull an Orlando, landing both Webber and Mutumbo.

It´s almost the same thing that has already been suggested here, where we would trade Hakeem.

Looks like we are officialy *out* of the Mo sweepstakes.

------------------
    "Behold the coming of the Almighty"

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Honestly,
    I dont see any team really improving with this deal at all. There are so many players movign around and being traded this way and that, it will tak ea while before any of their true talents come out enough to show any serious benefits from a trae like this. Especially when the players being dealt are players like Baker, Taylor, Laettner, Rice, and Ewing.

Maybe NY gets a little better, but compared to Miami, they have still gotten much worse, and losing PAtrick means not being able to stop Zo.

Seattle-How much will Mo Taylor and Ewing really help. I guess Seattle figured they had to take Eiwng to get Taylor, cause we all know ewing isnt worth it anymore, especially if he wants a 2 year extension, which I see him trying to get before traded.

LAkers and Detroit-why are they even involved in this trade??

------------------
    Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women!

[This message has been edited by JayZ750 (edited August 21, 2000).]

5. New Jack

New Jack Member

It's just that the Knicks are so weak at the point guard position that it would make some sense if they deal Houston or Sprewell since they are expendable with Rice arriving.

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

6. hakola

hakola Member

I have some reservations about this whole thing?
    First, how the hell does New York afford both Baker AND Rice without giving anyone except Ewing (wingate does not make that much?)

Second, why would Detroit take so many bodies whom they will have no use of? Foster is gonna be their center? No way, they already have that North Caroline guy whose name I can't remember now.

I sure hope this doesn not go down...it makes little sense.

------------------
    Having a Rockets jersey, $40.00
    Having a Rockets t-shirt, $15.00
    Having CLUTCHCITY.NET, PRICELESS!

7. haven

haven Member

Thanos: Just because Ewing's contract is 17m does NOT mean that his removal would mean 17m under the cap.... since Seattle is *already* capped out.

Also, what are the odds of Seattle getting Webber OR Mutumbo, much less *both*. Not great. Not significant. Mutumbo is old. There hopes would be hinging on Webber. I've never heard him mention Seattle. Not incredibly likely.

You mentioned Orlando as winning this lottery sweepstakes. Yes, they did... but how much better off are they from a couple years ago? Hill is probably a bit better than Hardaway, but not too much. We have yet to see if McGrady will ever be a star.... and he and Grant play almost identical positions. Their front court is *weak*. Without Duncan, Orlando isn't a contender.

Orlando is a playoff team, but not a contender... and where is Chicago now?

Cap space isn't all it's cracked up to be.

------------------
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

8. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. Thanos

Thanos Member

Indeed he is:

"Knicks would get Baker, Rice in blockbuster

ESPN.com news services

Patrick Ewing, one of the top 50 NBA players of all-time and a member
    of the New York Knicks for his entire 15-year career, could be involved
    in a major four-team trade being discussed involving as many as 11
    players, sources confirmed to ESPN.com's Andy Katz on Tuesday.

Ewing, 38, would be dealt to
    the Seattle SuperSonics, who
    have coveted a dominant
    center for years. Ewing has
    battled injuries the last few
    seasons but, remains one of
    the league's top centers.

The Knicks would receive
    forward Vin Baker from
    Seattle as well as forward Glen
    Rice from the Los Angeles
    Lakers. Also, the Lakers
    would send Travis Knight in a sign-and-trade to the Knicks with the
    Lakers receiving center Chris Dudley.

Forward Christian Laettner would become a Laker and the Pistons,
    attempting to clear cap room, would take on a number of role players,
    including Vernon Maxwell, Lazaro Borrell, Greg Foster, Vladimir
    Stepania, John Celestand, Tyronne Lue and David Wingate. The Pistons
    would also receive a pair of first-round draft picks from the Lakers and
    Knicks and cash from the Knicks.

The Knicks and Sonics have been discussing a Ewing-for-Baker trade,
    but this deal makes more sense for the Knicks, who would also receive
    Rice. Ewing is entering the final year of a four-year, $60-million contract
    and wants an extension for at least two more seasons.

After dealing Baker, the Sonics are expected to sign free-agent power
    forward Maurice Taylor to their $2.5 million salary exception. Taylor,
    who has been looking at a number of teams to sign his deal and then cash
    in after next summer, is said to be intrigued about playing next to Ewing.
    Taylor averaged better than 17 points a game for the Clippers last
    season.

The Lakers have been looking for a power forward to complement
    Shaquille O'Neal and replace A.C. Green, who is expected to retire. The
    Lakers have been reluctant to re-sign Rice to a big-money deal.

Meanwhile, the Pistons are interested in clearing Laettner off their cap
    and taking on players with low salaries. After next season, the Pistons are
    expected to make a run at the best available free agent, former Michigan
    star Chris Webber.

For the Knicks, this gives them an abundance of talent at the guard and
    small forward positions, with point guards Charlie Ward and Chris Childs
    and swingmen Latrell Sprewell and Allan Houston being joined by Rice
    and an earlier offseason acquisition, former Maverick Erick Strickland. It
    is expected that the Knicks are not done dealing."

------------------

10. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

in the article it says that the Knicks are not done dealing yet.... which is a good thing if you're a knicks fan (which I am not) a roster including:

L. Johnson
    M. Camby
    V. Baker
    K. Thomas
    J. Wallace
    A. Houston
    L. Sprewell
    G. Rice
    C. Ward
    C. Childs
    E. Strickland
    D. Wingate

It just seems a little empty in the middle... how are they gonna get by Miami without a big man?!? And if they do, how can the expect to get by whoever comes out of the west... they can't, so they'll be moving more players.... maybe the rockets can get involved in some sort of three-way deal.

But Seattle looks kind of strong coming out of this deal

R. Lewis, R. Patterson
    M. Taylor, H. Grant
    P. Ewing, J. McCoy
    B. Barry, D. Mason
    G. Payton, S. Williams

------------------

11. Thanos

Thanos Member

Seattle DOES look strong, despite opinions on the contrary.

I hope we still can get something out of this mess. The Knicks are loaded with SF/SG types (Rice, Sprewell, Strickland, Houston).

I wonder who the odd man out could be. Probably Houston. Unfortunatey, the odds of us landing Sprewell which would be the only useful player to us are next to ZERO. I don´t see the knicks trading sprewell.

It sure looks like they are about to make a push for Mutumbo, since he is exaclty what they need to deal with Mourning: a defensive minded center that does NOT demand the ball on the offense.

Maybe a 3-way deal in which we would get Dale Davis, Jerome Williams or Antonio Davis?

We can only hope now... but it sure looks like we are going to come up empty handed this time around.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Thanos (edited August 21, 2000).]

12. Bigdee2898

Bigdee2898 Member

I really don't think this trade will happen because why would the lakers want
    Christian Laetnner of all people,they would do better getting Big O or grant Long.I still think we have a shot at MO,plus ewings wants a 2yr contract extenision and they means he still wants to be paid so Mo will still be cut short on some money.

------------------
    Eddie for three...yesssssssssssss..holy mother

13. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I just got off the phone with a Fox Sports person close to the NBA and she said the deal is valid. Expect the official announcement tomorrow. But, the original rumblings was that Ewing was possibly going to Phoenix along with Allan Houston and Chris Childs for Jason Kidd and another player. That deal was worked on since Ewing announced we wanted more money. If the Knicks can swing for a point guard, they are really looking to land Kidd. That is who they see as the only possible top flight PG that they could get for Houston and Childs. Phoenix really wants a big body to play along with Luc Longley to balance out some of the other big bodies in the West. Of course, just because they want Kidd doesn't mean that they will get him. Especially now that Ewing is gone.

She also has heard rumblings within the Knicks that they are working on something to move Childs from the roster. Also, she told me to not rule out a package deal with Childs and Spree/Houston to a Western team(possibly Golden State) for a big man(maybe the Kandiman).

Also, the Knicks have one more trade pending. Larry Johnson, Camby and possibly Postell are all on the crosshairs for possible trades coming up. Of course, Spree could be included in some trades, but they really want him since they want him to be the main guy now. Its possible Spree could go, but Houston is the most likely candidate.

As of right now, the fans here in NYC love the trade. They wanted their team to run more and Ewing was not helping that out.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited August 21, 2000).]

14. New Jack

New Jack Member

Wow, even Jason Kidd is being discussed about in trade talks.

------------------

15. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

I'll tell you who I think the real mastermind behind this whole scenario is
    DEVIL AGENT DAVID FALK

First he tells Seattle, if you take on Ewing i'll tell Mo Taylor to sign the exception for you. Then he uses that extra cap space with the Ewing & Baker difference to add the other teams and get Glen Rice, another Falk client, a good amount of money in overcapped New York. They'll be over the cap for years they don't care. So now Falk makes the money off of everyone. Poor Mo Taylor doesnt realize he's just a pawn to get other deals done by falk. Don't tell me that Seattle will still be a contender in a few years! Ewing will be gone, Payton's getting old, the rest of the team is garbage and Rashard is only signed on for three years. This is the kind of bull$%it that turns me off about professional sports. Everyone complains about how much money the players are making, but they're being manipulated by the agents and God knows how much they are making.

You Know what I say... Good Riddance to Mo Taylor. That whiny, non-rebounding, no defense playing fool can get used. We don't want to deal with these agents. We're a respectable organization with respect. He would force our organization to look bad by not bending to his will. Most players look very favorably towards the rockets and lets keep it that way.

Taylor can take that exception and let Chris Webber shove it up his a$$ next year in Houston.

And Falk can take his sneaky, pushy ways to some other organization. We won't accept garbage forceful business dealings here. I

------------------

16. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

Almu,

Your friend in New York must be getting her inside info from Mitch Lawrence. [​IMG]

Spree back to Golden State? Yeah, THAT's real likely.

Or the Clippers? Sure, they just love those big-money, long-term contracts like Spree and Childs have.

Neither team is going to give up their only center to add to a glut of swingmen (including Hughes/Jamison and Odom/Miles/Maggette).

And there is NO way that the Suns ever talked to anyone about trading Kidd.

------------------

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Just want to say while it is obvious Detroit wont be good next year, I dont really see why NBAtalk is ripping them a new a-hole soo much. I mean, what the hell was LAettner going to do for them. Make thema playoff contender again. No, not likely. So they got rid of him and got a bunch of guys, a couple of whom may turn out to play well for them. Everyone thought ORlando would suck last year also. I dont see the Pistons being very good at all next year, but im not laughing at them for making htis trade. I probably would have done it also.

------------------
    Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women!

18. Thanos

Thanos Member

FD Khan, great post!

Cat, do you remember when you said that Mo wasn´t stupid and disagreed?

Looks like he REALLY is stupid after all.

again, great post Khan.

------------------

19. jerinrulz

jerinrulz Contributing Member

The knicks cant get rid of spree or my boy allan. They are the only reason that the knicks keep seeming to pop up in the later rounds of the playoffs. rice would be a major downgrade so if thats their theory(get rid of allan or spree and insert rice) then they really dont know what theyre doing. Well i guess its good for us if we can land allan or spree. maybe drew and walt and some other crap for one of them. they want a pg they got one. They also get a great 3! seriously any good trades in mind for the rockets. and get davis over here. would the raptors do that? we have to get cap people, but how are we gonna do it?

20. Thanos

Thanos Member

That´s it guys.

According to Nba Talk, the Sonics are signing Mo Taylor this afternoon.

"NBAtalk EXCLUSIVE!!! (August 21, 12:53 p.m. EST)
    Huge 4 Team Trade Goes Down NBAtalk has learned from an NBA
    league source that a four-team trade is about to approved by the
    league. And the New York Knicks are in for a MAJOR upgrade. The
    deal has the Knicks getting BOTH Vin Baker and Glen Rice in a
    sign-and-trade with the Lakers. The Knicks send Patrick Ewing to
    the Sonics and David Wingate to the Detroit Pistons. The Sonics
    are also signing Maurice Taylor this afternoon. The Pistons send
    Christian Laetnner to the Lakers and then basically self-destruct.
    Detroit gets: Vernon Maxwell, Lazaro Borrell, Greg Foster,
    Vladimir Stepania, John Celestand, Tyronne Lue, David
    Wingate and a number one pick from LA and NY. According to the
    league source, this deal is done and awaiting approval at the league
    office. NBAtalk has also learned that in a seperate deal, the Knicks
    are discussing a deal that will send Chris Dudley and Lavor Postell
    to the Lakers for Travis Knight. Get all the numbers and read
    NBAtalk's trade analysis in Deconstructing King Kong"

What´s next? Sigh...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Thanos (edited August 21, 2000).]