1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[nbadraft.net] Summer League:Top 10 Rookies

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dram1, Jul 23, 2009.

1. dram1

dram1 Member

link N

NBA Summer League: Top 10 Rookies
    By Brian_Cerone
    Tue, 07/21/2009 - 4:26am
    The 2009 Las Vegas Summer League has finished up and it didn't disappoint. It was a mix of 1st rounders who were trying to prove they were worthy of their selection and 2nd rounders who were out to show that they slipped too far in the draft. Other rookies were just out to show they belonged on a team, or even impress some European team into signing them. Here's a look at the top 10 rookies in Vegas. Tomorrow we'll look at the top 10 non-rookies.

1. Blake Griffin - LA Clippers / 19.2ppg, 10.8rpg, 3.2apg, 1spg, 50fg%
    2. Brandon Jennings - Milwaukee / 14.6ppg, 2.6rpg, 8.2apg, 3.6stl, 37.9fg%
    3. Chase Budinger - Houston / 17.8ppg, 2rpg, 0.8apg, 1stl, 68fg%

Budinger slipped in the draft all the way to the 44th pick overall after many projected him to fall somewhere in the 1st round. During the last ten days, Budinger played like should have gone in the 1st round by scoring at a better rate than anyone in Vegas. In just 22 minutes a game he averaged nearly 18 points. He rarely missed a shot, connecting on 68.1 % from the field, and a ridiculous 72.7% from beyond the arc. Houston coach Rick Adelman likes defensive type players, but Budinger can earn minutes on any roster if he continues to shoot like he did in Vegas.
    4. Rodrigue Beaubois - Dallas / 17ppg, 3.4rpg, 3.8apg 1.4stl, 47.8fg%
    5. Austin Daye - Detroit / 17ppg, 8.8rpg, 1apg, 1.4stl, 47.1fg%
    6. Tyreke Evans - Sacramento / 19.2ppg, 6.2rpg, 4.2apg, 1stl, 40.3fg
    7. Darren Collison - New Orleans / 18.5ppg, 2.3rpg, 3.8apg, 1stl, 44.9fg%
    8. DaJuan Summers- Detroit / 18ppg, 5.4rpg, 1apg, 44.3fg%
    9. Jodie Meeks - Milwaukee / 19ppg, 2.2rpg, 0.8apg, 1stl, 55.7fg%
    10. DeJuan Blair - San Antonio / 16.3ppg, 8.7rpg, 52.9fg%

I sure do hope his success in this year summer league transfers to the regular season. He may be in the 8ppg if all goes well. If he really get p/t then this may go up to 13ppg. But, his defensive shortcomings and lack of NBA bball IQ common to rookies probably won't allow him to get much p/t. But...we never know for sure....Dirk Nowitzki was a skinny nobody with the Bucks and he turned out OK :D

2. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I like Budinger, and think he is an offense genius. But he really needs to improve his defense. Actually, he is the only one-demonsional player in that top 10 list.

3. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

His summer league stats will transition into 1 or 2 things. D League or wearing a suit on game day. He's nothing more than Steve Novak who couldn't make it with the Rockets. Same player.

4. Egghead

Egghead Member

How the hell are you comapring him to Steve Novak? Just because both are white? Chase is 1000x better athlete than Novak... Novak could barley get off the ground. Novak is like Brian Cook. Stop comparing him to Novak just because they are both white.. :mad:

5. Nero

Nero Member

Yeah, absolutely right, because there are no one-dimensional players who actually play in the league. :rolleyes:

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

heh, trying to stir the pot a little?

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Dirk playe for the Bucks??? :confused:

8. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

I see where you get one-dimensional. But he really is so versatile on offense, it makes up for his lack of defense. He's got really good vision. I think he will improve his assist and rebounding stats.

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

also from the same site

http://www.nbadraft.net/node/9877

10. Egghead

Egghead Member

No comparisons to Morrison either

Chase Budinger, Rockets
    The comparisons to Adam Morrison (all offense, no defense) are missing one huge factor: Budinger is a purer shooter than Ammo was coming out of college. Budinger shot incredibly well all week in Vegas and made the best argument possible that he belongs on the Rockets' roster.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insi...mnist=thorpe_david&page=RookieRankings-090722

11. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Since when Adelman has become a defensive minded coach? :confused:

12. kikimama

kikimama Member

said defensive minded ROCKETS. not the coach. The players are defensive minded... chill

13. AB#0

AB#0 Member

Damn I didn't know know Steve was athletic and could play the 1,2 and 3.

14. giggity12345

giggity12345 Member

"His summer league stats will transition into 1 or 2 things. D League or wearing a suit on game day. He's nothing more than Steve Novak who couldn't make it with the Rockets. Same player."

Wow you've got a good eye buddy. Obviously they are the same player, I mean you've seen those dunks Novak threw down in college right when he was averaging 17ppg in a competitive conference. Novak was also one of the top recruits coming out of high school and was a volleyball champion and could have played pro volleyball. Oh wait that was all just Budinger. Dude Novak isn't anywhere near as athletic as Budinger so shut up and stop acting like you know what you are talking about, guy could only shoot a 3, Budinger can shoot from anywhere on the floor and can finish at the rim. He will contribute to the Rockets. Different Player. You're a d-bag, that is all.

15. dram1

dram1 Member

Yes! He was with the Bucks. I can't remember if he actually logged p/t with them, but he was definitely with the organization and was traded for none other than "Tractor" Traylor.

But on the C-Bud front...he does have game. But, he has soft game. THis will get him some points while teams not aware of his abilities will stand back on D. But as soon as word gets gets around that he has a outside J, he will ahve to be able to get his own shot. This will require that he bulk up a bit. But I like his chances.

16. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

How can you realistically make that comparison? I love Novak's shooting ability, and Budinger is in the same league. However, other than they are both white, that is about where the comparison ends. Novak couldn't jump. Budinger's hops are up there with the league's best.

Novak couldn't move laterally, but Chase has average lateral ability, which is to say he is in Shane Battier's league. Novak was a tweener -- neither SF or PF. Budinger is a tweener but at the SG - SF spot. Novak's only ability was as a long-range bomber. Budinger is more of a fighter-bomber -- he can get you rebounds, drive to the hoop and make defenses pay if they sag off him.

Yes, I wish Chase were quicker laterally, but I think he may well earn the SG position until ... and if ... T-Mc returns. I am looking forward to some of Bud's Dingers just as I did for the Three-fer Novak.

17. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

The article actually said, "Houston coach Rick Adelman likes defensive type players..."

18. stillillmatic

stillillmatic Member

I don't think so.

saying dirk was with the bucks, is like saying darrell arthur was w/ the rockets

19. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Rick is alot more defensive minded than you think.

20. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

cool. Hopefully this guy turns into a Mike Miller type player. But sometimes summer league don't say much. Guess we have to wait til season to start to see what he made of.