1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBADraft.net] Rox is projected to be 46-36

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ymc, Oct 28, 2006.

1. ymc

ymc Member

While this guy says we are much improved, he projected us doing worse than two years ago. I think we are at least a 50-wins this season. WTF??? :mad: :mad: :mad:

http://nbadraft.net/2006-07southwest001.asp

2006-07 NBA Preview: Southwest Division

By Josh Redetzke
    NBADraft.net
    10/25/06

Rudy Gay
    AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh

Dallas Mavericks
    Projected Record: 58-24

After finally getting past the Spurs during last season's playoff run, and coming up just short in the Finals, the Mavericks are ready to roll. They have tasted success and want more of it. Every key player returns from last season except Marquis Daniels, who was replaced by Devean George and rookie Maurice Ager. Devin Harris and DeSagana Diop busted out for some big games during the playoffs and their improvement will make the Mavs even better. The only reason they won't improve in the win column is because of their division. The Southwest is the best division in the Western Conference. Houston and New Orleans will be improved, Memphis is no slouch, and the Spurs are always good. The heavy competition for the division title will keep the Mavs focused come playoff time.

Key Additions: Trade: Austin Croshere (Pacers), Anthony Johnson (Pacers), FA: Devean George (Lakers), Greg Buckner (Nuggets). Draft: Maurice Ager (28)
    Key Losses: FA: Adrian Griffin (Bulls) Trade: Marquis Daniels (Pacers), Darrell Armstrong (Pacers), Rawle Marshall (Pacers), Josh Powell (Pacers)

San Antonio Spurs
    Projected Record: 56-26

The Spurs will win fewer games than last year, but that doesn't mean they are any less of a team. With Duncan, Parker, Bowen, and Ginobili, they will win a lot of games. However, the lack of help for Duncan on the front line is a concern. Robert Horry is too old. Trading away Rasho Nesterovic was addition by subtraction, but they didn't get much to replace him and Nazr Mohammad who moved on to Detroit. Argentinean bigman Fabricio Oberto will move into the center position and assume a much larger role with the team, can he step it up? Francisco Elson or Jackie Butler must develop into a player who can consistently contribute on the glass and defensively in the paint. Which appears unlikely, but Poppovich might be able to make it work. The Spurs will still be a factor come playoff time, just don't expect them to go very far if they can't solve their post (depth) problem.

Key Additions: Trade: Matt Bonner (Raptors), Eric WIlliams (Raptors), FA: Jackie Butler (Knicks), Francisco Elson (Nuggets), Jacque Vaughn (Nets). Draft: Damir Markota (58)
    Key Losses: Trade: Rasho Nesterovic (Raptors), FA: Nazr Mohammad (Pistons), Sean Marks (Suns)

Houston Rockets
    Projected Record: 46-36

We've been waiting a long time for the Rockets to break out and fulfill the promise they had when Tracy McGrady was first paired with Yao Ming. Constant injuries and a lack of surrounding talent have delayed that promise until this year. With a healthy Yao and McGrady and the newly acquired Shane Battier and Bonzi Wells, Houston should be much improved. Battier is exactly the kind of role player the Rockets need. He can defend, rebound, and hustle and his outside shooting should spread the floor and give the team's two superstars more room to work. If the Rockets can make a few more dependable role players out of Chuck Hayes, Steve Novak, Casey Jacobson, or Luther Head, they will be a tough team to beat. If Yao Ming keeps up the torrid pace he was on towards the end of last season, watch out for the Rockets come playof time.

Key Additions: Trade: Shane Battier (Grizzlies), Kirk Snyder (Hornets) FA: Bonzi Wells (Kings) Casey Jacobsen (Europe) Draft: Steve Novak (32) Vassilis Spanoulis ('04 - 50)
    Key Losses: Trade: Stromile Swift (Grizzlies) FA: Keith Bogans (Magic)

New Orleans Hornets
    Projected Record: 44-38

The Hornets made quite a splash this summer. They solidified their front line by drafting Hilton Armstrong and Cedric Simmons and by trading for Tyson Chandler. They helped their backcourt by signing Bobby Jackson and even added some star power in shooting guard Peja Stojakovic. With those players, and emerging star David West, running down the court with phenom Chris Paul, the Hornets are building quite a hive. This influx of talent, though, will need some time to gel. With so many new faces, it will be hard to develop chemistry right away. New Orleans will use this season to gain experience, including valuable playoff experience.

Key Additions: FA: Peja Stojakovic (Pacers), Bobby Jackson (Grizzlies) Jannero Pargo (Bulls). Trade: Tyson Chandler (Bulls). Draft Hilton Armstrong (12), Cedric Simmons (15), Marcus Vieira (43)
    Key Losses: FA: PJ Brown (Bulls), JR Smith (Nuggets), Kirk Snyder (Rockets) FA: Speedy Claxton (Hawks), Aaron Williams (Clippers)

Memphis Grizzlies
    Projected Record: 34-48

The Grizzlies have been a pretty good team in recent years, but this summer didn't turn out so well for them. First, they got swept from the playoffs once again by Dallas. Then, their star player, Pau Gasol, was injured in the World Championships and he might not be back until midway through the season. They also got Stromile Swift back in the Shane Battier trade, even though they didn't want to resign him last year and were proven right when Swift underperformed in Houston. Memphis added exciting young prospect Rudy Gay, and he'll have a great opportunity to produce for a team with lessened expectations. In a division with so many good teams, the Grizzlies will likely take a significant step back.

Key Additions: Trade: Stromile Swift (Rockets). Draft: Rudy Gay (8), Kyle Lowry (24), Alexander Johnson (45)
    Key Losses: Trade: Shane Battier (Rockets). FA: Bobby Jackson (Hornets).

2. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

i have grown immune to gay predictions that underrate us

frankly, i dont give rat's ass what someone who knows nothing about basketball thinks about us

i mean under "key losses" he didnt even mention david wesley

3. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

He cannot be serious. 46 wins? Come on, Kobe single-handedly brought the Lakers to a 45-37 record, what makes you think that T-Mac/Yao/Batter/Wells can't do better?

4. kingkow

kingkow Member

Cuz its KOBE.

nah..just mark their words. Lets just mock at them by the time this season ends

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

because every year since 96, the rockets have failed expectations

6. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Dependable role player: Casey Jacobson
    Key loss: Keith Bogans

LOL. 'Nuff said.

PS. It's Jacobsen. You idiot sports writer.

7. Yetti

Yetti Member

Another one of the sports media who get paid for guess work!!!This person is beyond credability, no research, untrue statements,false conclusions.a fake indeed. :eek:

8. Rocket_Boy_34

Rocket_Boy_34 Member

Predictions are useless. Even after the entire regular season the St. Louis Cardinals were picked to lose to the Padres, Mets, and Tigers....predictions are useless. Being an underdog is great, bring on the haters who under-rate us, it'll just give us more people to stick it to in the end.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

what they wrote about our team seems dead on, but then they low-ball us on the record prediction? makes no sence.

10. akuma

akuma Member

actually Kobe/Phil Jackson were able to garner 45 wins. Kobe had to a chance to the KG thing in 2004-05, but was only able to muster a Houston-like 34 wins.

11. durvasa

durvasa Member

I project us winning 50 or 51 games. But 46 is fair. Bonzi is a flake, and I find myself getting more and more pessimistic about our health situation. Maybe that last preseason game just put a bad taste in my mouth.

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Member

exactly. we get excited every freakin year and every year the Rockets find some way to under-perform.

I would not be happy with 46 wins this year, but that seems like a fair prediction based on the last decade of SUCKING!

13. YaozaMac

YaozaMac Member

nice text, but terrible record prediction

14. aznboi

aznboi Member

let's just laugh at them at the end of the season.

15. wozudichter

wozudichter Member

50+ this year is acceptable, me thinks

16. Pocket Rockets

if this team is supposedly better than 04-05, this team should win more than 51 games...chemistry aside, because 04 took a while too..

my prediction is 55+

17. jo mama

jo mama Member

i like with his analysis, but disagree with the 46 wins. i dont think it is homerism to say the rockets will win at least 50 games (barring any major injuries to the big 2).

who cares though? i think it is good that we are not getting too hyped up in the national media - keep a low profile and suprise people.

18. MystikArkitect

Here's another analysis that hasn't been posted for some odd reason. Since I can't make new posts I'll just post it here and hope someone makes it a topic.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6067742

Houston Rockets
    The guards: Rafer Alston has a career FG percentage of .387, as well as a penchant for thinking more like a scorer than a playmaker. If Bob Sura ever regains his health, his courage and unselfishness will make a huge difference. John Lucas isn't ready to assume control of a high-powered offense. Luther Head and Kirk Snyder shoot first and never ask questions. Tracy McGrady can literally do it all — shoot, score, pass, run, rebound and even defend — except stay healthy. Unless T-Mac can operate at top efficiency for at least 70-75 games, then the Rockets will barely squeeze into the playoffs.

The forwards: Juwan Howard puts up numbers but can't pass, defend or produce in critical situations. Bonzi Wells is a monster both in the pivot and along the right baseline — but he's also been the source of disharmony everywhere he's played (Houston is his fourth stop in the last four years). Shane Battier is a winner, but Houston will be a loser if Battier doesn't play 30-plus minutes. Indeed, look for Battier to eventually supplant Howard's time at the power-forward spot.

The centers: Yao Ming sports the most notable toe since the salad days of Lou Groza. Can the big man's sore digit survive the rigors of the season? Will Yao ever become an aggressive, durable, monster of the midway? Dikembe Mutombo is Zaire's version of Old Man River.

Outlook: With Alston, T-Mac and Wells all needing their ball time, where does that leave Yao? Also, the Rockets' hopes will ultimately be sabotaged by the divisive antics of Wells, as well as the self-serving excuses routinely offered by Jeff Van Gundy. Houston is a very dangerous team, capable of beating any of the NBA's best at any time — yet the talent isn't balanced, and the team has too many emotional hot spots. If anybody can save this team, it'll be Battier.

I'm really very confused. Are we that sporadic, selfish and unorganized? Sabotaged by Wells? He's not Terrell Owens folks. Alston needs the ball all the time? Since when is he one of our go-to guys? I like how if T-Mac doesnt operate at 75% then we will barely squeeze into the playoffs. I've never been more convinced that Yao, not T-mac, is our ticket to the playoffs and beyond.

19. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

^^ You forgot to add who wrote it.

Guess what, it is the grumpy old Charley Rosen!