1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BobFinn*, Aug 11, 2000.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Doug Christie has been traded to the Sacremento Kings for Corliss Williamson.
    Just heard it on radio. Will post link when found.

Also Toronto has signed Mark Jackson from the Pacers.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

From the AP Wire :

-------------------------------------------

Raptors Sign Mark Jackson

By TOM COHEN
    Associated Press Writer

TORONTO (AP) — Money and opportunity trumped emotion for Mark Jackson.

The point guard signed a four-year contract with the Toronto Raptors on Friday, leaving the Indiana Pacers despite saying earlier he wanted to end his career in Indianapolis.

In the end, the Raptors' offer of a reported $14 million and the chance to join an up-and-coming franchise with a new coach in Hall of Famer Lennie Wilkens proved too attractive.

``It's an honor to be here,'' Jackson said. ``I just thank God for allowing a guy like me to be 35 years old and still be able to play a little bit.''

``Mark's record ... as a basketball player and a person speaks for itself,'' general manager Glen Grunwald said.

Jackson helped the Pacers reach the NBA Finals for the first time last season. He said the Raptors did the best job of showing him he was wanted, which he called the key factor in his decision.

``In life, those are things that make a difference to me, not money,'' he said. ``I was waiting for a team to step up to the plate, and they did just that.''

Jackson, an ordained minister, cited a phone call from Wilkens he received after delivering a sermon Sunday night as the clincher.

``It just seemed right,'' Jackson said.

Pacers president Donnie Walsh said Thursday he had wanted to re-sign Jackson, but acknowledged the team couldn't match a contract from a team with plenty of salary cap room.

``He got an unbelievable offer from Toronto, and I understand why he had to take it,'' Walsh told The Indianapolis Star. ``I'll miss him a lot, and somewhere down the line I know he'll be a great NBA coach.''

Jackson said the Pacers never seriously pursued him.

``The bottom line is, deep down, the people with the power there didn't want me back,'' he said. ``I think what they tried to do was make me walk away.''

But Jackson refused to speak ill of Indiana, an Eastern Conference opponent of Toronto.

``I'm not here to bash those guys,'' he said. ``I had a great time there. They have some of the greatest fans in the world. ... I did my job there and it ran its course. I look forward to finishing my career in a Toronto Raptors uniform.''

He said the Raptors expected him to ``be a floor general, be an extension of the coach on the floor, make plays.''

Grunwald made acquiring a point guard one of his top offseason priorities for an offense that relied almost exclusively on star forward Vince Carter. The loss of free agent Tracy McGrady, who signed with Orlando last week, freed up money to pursue Jackson. He is the Raptors' first free-agent signing this summer.

A former teammate of Raptor forwards Charles Oakley and Antonio Davis, Jackson said he was thrilled at the chance to play with them and Carter. When he indicated to Carter this week that he would sign with Toronto, he said the Raptors' star responded: ``Lots of alley-oops.''

Jackson has also played for the New York Knicks and Los Angeles Clippers during his 13-year career and ranks fifth in NBA career assists. He averaged 8.1 points and 8 assists in 27 minutes for the Pacers last season.

Indiana has already committed $182 million to re-sign other free agents — Reggie Miller, Jalen Rose, Austin Croshere and Sam Perkins.

The Pacers will seek another point guard to take Jackson's roster spot, although not necessarily as a starter, Walsh said.

The Pacers drafted a point guard, Jaquay Walls, in the second round this year. The unsigned point guards on the marketplace include Tim Hardaway, who is expected to re-sign with Miami, Howard Eisley, Greg Anthony, Muggsy Bogues, Bimbo Coles and Haywoode Workman.

When Miller's contract extension was announced Wednesday, he said he wanted Jackson back.

``Mark has meant so much to the franchise,'' Miller said. ``Mark knows how to play the game. It would be a disservice to this organization if they do not sign Mark.''

Jackson first came to the Pacers in a draft day trade with the Clippers in 1994. After two seasons, he was sent to Denver in an offseason deal in 1996 that brought Jalen Rose to the Pacers. Jackson was reacquired with 30 games remaining in the 1996-97 season.

------------------
    Just shut up and post

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited August 11, 2000).]

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

From the AP Wire :

-------------------------

AUGUST 11, 19:53 EDT

Agent: Christie Traded To Kings

TORONTO (AP) — The Toronto Raptors traded shooting guard Doug Christie to the Sacramento Kings for power forward Corliss Williamson, Christie's agent said Friday.

``A trade has been consummated and Doug will be going to the Sacramento Kings,'' agent Brad Marshall told the Fan 590, Toronto's all-sports radio station. ``In the end it was a mutual decision that trading Doug was best for everyone.''

The two teams said the teams were talking, but no deal had been finalized.

``No trade has been consummated between the Kings and Raptors because of contractual issues with the players involved,'' Kings general manager Geoff Petrie said.

During a news conference Friday to introduce free-agent signee Mark Jackson, Toronto general manager Glen Grunwald said he was working on trading Christie.

But he agreed that nothing had been completed.

``No trade is imminent,'' he said. ``We don't expect to have anything further to announce in the immediate future.''

Christie, 30, averaged 12.4 points, 4.4 assists and 3.9 rebounds last season. Williamson, 26, selected 13th overall in the 1995 draft, averaged 10.3 points and 3.8 rebounds last season.

------------------
    Just shut up and post

4. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Interesting, but I don't see where Williamson will fit. Perhaps in the smaller East, he will play some more PF, and some back-up to Vince? Or move Vince to SG and start Williamson at SF? But there's still a few question marks in Raptorland. First, they still don't have a true center and while Antonio Davis held his own there this past season, he does not want to play there. With a Christie-Brad Miller deal out of the question, there doesn't seem to be an influx of big men out there in the market, if any. Also, I guess this kills those rumours of Oakley-for-Rice, if there was any truth to that at all.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    We don't live for the destination. We live for the journey.

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Thanks D0D [​IMG] Your the transaction guru/poster thingy majig [​IMG]

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Just to let you guys know, the trade will become official on September 29th when Corliss Williamson's salary is bumped to within 15% of Christie's. (He's a base year player so it wouldn't work cap wise NOW) That's the reason for the hold up and the statements of "no trade is imminent."

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Sign Mo Taylor. Bench Kenny Thomas.

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Final Four)
    http://bbs.clutchplays.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000983.html