1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Trade Suggestion: Robert Covington To Rockets, Clint Capela To Hawks In Proposed 3-Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jaychi, Jun 6, 2019.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I'd want Saric too. If Capela is worth the 10th or 8th pick + Prince and we were re-routing the pick, I'd want more than RoCo for such a pick, RoCo who had a down year in comparison to his trajectory last season is turning 29 this season on a team that isn't quite ready to compete. Capela for depth would be pretty great and I think this is a better package.

http://tradenba.com/trades/BkHiL2UCN

obviously the 8th or 10th going to Minnesota.

In this trade, Saric. Assuming with use bird rights to retain Shump we would still have the MLE and some trade chips. We'd need a RIM protector (DJ, Noel, WCS or Holmes using part of MLE or al of MLE)

CP3/Shump Harden/EGo Covington/Prince PJ/ Saric/Len/Nene

Y2JT, mikol13, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  2. Vivi

Vivi Member

Covington is the second best player/contract on the Wolves, their best (if not the only) defender, i don't see how they would trade him for a 10th pick tbh, with Towns and Okogie he's the only solid piece they have.

3. Denovo

Denovo Member

Lol I got happy for a min.

BaselineFade likes this.
  4. macan

macan Member

aint clicking that if cyberx or woj was not included in the title..

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Prince is a good defender too.

BaselineFade likes this.
  6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

We saw this multiple times between Morey and Hinkie. When two teams are on different tracks and the GMs have strong relationships, it's a good environment for trades.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Robert Covington would play a lot of center.

The Rockets would actually likely do this deal.

Covington and Prince both are long.

Covington can play 3 spots, switches very well and they take 12 threes a game between the two of them and hit almost 5 of them a game.

That would solve the Rockets wing issues and let them cut down on the minutes for Tucker.

The Rockets would still have the MLE to get a conventional center or high quality back up point guard or PF.

The Rockets could always piece together something for Tony Parker if they want him as a back up point guard.

D-rock, joshuaao, Deuce and 4 others like this.
  8. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

Nook any new news on the MDA Situation.. this is crazy.. No planned in interviews for assistants (If he is indeed staying)
    Marc Stein newsletter , suggesting the rockets organization wavering if they really want him???

9. Nook

Nook Member

Liquidity.

Teams (especially teams that are not contending) place a premium on draft picks future and present.

10. xaos

xaos Member

Why would that matter?

tc0330 likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

They want him but they want him to go along with what they want to do as an organization and there are some issues there.

Also there is the issue of possibly paying assistant coaches close to what the head coach is making...... that is another sticking point.

A trade of Capela for Covington and Prince would make a switching defensive hire a must.... the Rockets would possibly have one of the 2-3 best defenses in the league if Paul stays healthy and the Rockets could build a bench.

joshuaao, Deuce and BaselineFade like this.
  12. BreakYoSelfFool

You want to be the guy who discovers a guy like Robert Covington, not the one who trades for him...

I think the Rockets would love to add Covington and would be a good trade for the Rockets. I don't think we could get a lottery pick for Capela, there are quite a few guys in the draft that can do what Capela does for 20% of the salary. But if Capela is worth a mid-lottery pick, we will swing for the fences and go for AD. If this trade actually went down I think it would mean Morey found a way to get both Covington and Jimmy Butler

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

One of them, yes. And yet, I can never forget all of us screaming at our TV sets (judging by the reaction on this board) when Morey not only bypassed Kawhi Leonard ("analytics say his hands are too big to learn how to shoot from outside") for yet another 6'8" dude who can be instructed to shoot three-pointers (and then traded for a 2nd rounder, cap space, and a cheese sandwich, and not even a grilled cheese sandwich at that), but in the process allowed Kawhi to fall to San Antonio.

But, yes, Covington was a foolish move.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Passing on Kawhi and paying Anderson $20 Million are the two times in his tenure where I thought he was insane. I thought maybe he saw something with both that I didn't but boy was my gut reaction correct.

Richie_Rich and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  15. Rockets1897

Rockets1897 Member

You got me excited. I thought this was an actual rumour not some trade suggestion.

Would be brilliant. Covington would be a perfect 3 for this team.

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I've opened a can of worms on this. And if we'd kept Ryan Anderson, head case and all, rather than trading him then trading the players we got in return, and tossing away draft picks and whatnot, we'd have $35,000,000 in expiring contracts and a first rounder this year....

Ah, hell. I digress. Uh, what's this thread about? Capela for Covington, essentially?

BHannes2BHonest and treyk3 like this.
  17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, but are they planning to rebuild again? If that's so ok, i can see them moving him, especially cause he'll be 29 next season, but otherwise i don't see it, unless the package they get back is really good. They do have Okogie and Wiggins to play though, so if they don't want to put him at the 4 maybe they might look to trade him, it's just that, i don't know...

18. tc0330

tc0330 Member

tried and failed?

19. Nook

Nook Member

He passed on Leonard because he had pressure to win right away and believed Morris was ready to contribute right away. Still, it was Morey's call.

Anderson wasn't really Morey's call. He was told to spend the money or someone else would spend it for him. He tried going for higher profile players and almost got Horford. That call was really on Leslie Alexander.

Deuce, BHannes2BHonest and treyk3 like this.
  20. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Crazy how different we can value players and picks. I personally would rather have the 10th pick than Covington in that trade.

I think you can get a much better player with the 10th pick and another asset than Covington.

treyk3 likes this.