1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA trade speculation

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Cohete Rojo, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I just wanted to see who everyone thinks will be traded this season in the NBA or should be traded.

I'd like to start of with Kevin Martin. I just don't understand why the Kings ever thought they could pair Evans (not a true point guard) with Martin and I don't see what he adds to their team. They also seem to be weak at the 5 spot since giving up Miller and could use another solid SF or SG. Then again this is the team that signed Sean May over Ike Diogu.

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Tyreke Evans or Kevin Martin?

Evans makes plays and their offense is much better with him and w/o Martin than the other way around.

EDIT: some stats
    2008-09 Kings
    Offensive Rating: 105.5 (25th of 30) ▪ Defensive Rating: 114.7 (30th of 30)

2009-10 Kings
    Offensive Rating: 110.2 (6th of 30) ▪ Defensive Rating: 110.1 (23rd of 30)

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

My question is though, is this a product of KM, or is it a product of Sacramento not having a legit pg? If they had someone who knows how to make plays on that team, would Evans have as huge an impact? IMO Evans is like a carbon copy of Westbrook, except that Evans has a scorer mentality (even though his shot needs work), while Westbrook has more of a traditional pg mindset.

4. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I don't know what is everybody's fetish is with Kevin Martian. He's basically a copy of Micheal Redd. A very good scorer with no defense and are injury prone. No Thanks.

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Clearly assessing the Kings entire season of last year compared to this years part season is the best way to determine which player has a better impact on games :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Moving on from your impotent analysis:

I would think that perhaps the Kings might look to move Martin, and cut salary in doing so. So they MIGHT consider moving Martin if it removed Udrih and/or Garcia from the books.

At this early stage, it SEEMS like Tyreke Evans is a keeper, Thompson looks the goods, Hawes is 'good enough' as a starting NBA center, Greene/Cassipi/Nocioni are a passable combination on any given night.

If they could somehow squelch the salary of Martin/ Udrih and Garcia, then it would leave them with something like $25million in committed salaries for next year, with their abovementioned players still locked up for years.

6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Well, we don't have much else to go on. Evans has only been in the league 17 games, anything we say about him will be from a small sample size. But, SO FAR he appears to be a more versatile player, someone who can help a team win in a variety of ways.

7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

ummmmm.......

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Caron Butler and/or Gilbert Arenas.

If the Wizards don't turn things around, I could see them trying to make some moves. They seem fairly dysfunctional. Depends on whether Arenas stays healthy (yes, I know how injury prone he's been these last years) and if teams with deep pockets try to acquire him ($22 million in his last year, 4 years from now? yikes!)

Or what teams might offer for Caron Butler.

Especially since the two have talked shiite about each other in the press (more Gilbert calling out Arenas, whether or not he deserved it).

As far as Sacramento, they'll look to move Martin if they can, and Tyreke Evans is a keeper. Sometimes you just get lucky and find a player who continues to improve since college OR simply has a game that translates even better as a pro than as a collegian (not that he sucked for NCAA Memphis).

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I agree that Gilbert and Arenas definitely have problems with each other.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm gonna take a wild guess the Kings thought Tyreke Evans was the best player available for them to take at #4. I know that sounds like rocket science but it's my complicated theory on why they selected him. Thus far, it looks like they may have been right. I know it's very early, but Evans has displayed potential for superstardom. Very few rookies put up 20/5/5 the first 19 games of their career. He plays very raw and makes a ton of mistakes like all rookies do early in the season. But Evans' athleticism and skillset put him on my select "sky is the limit" squad.

Is there anyone else here who enjoys watching the Kings play? Evans is a big part of it for me, but they are a scrappy bunch of guys who play hard and are easy to root for. Paul Westphal has done a great job getting them in position to win more games than expected. Who would have thought they would start the season 9-10 with Kevin Martin & Francisco Garcia hurt and a rookie as their lead player?

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Evans has potential to be a guy that can lead a team to the playoffs. Martin does not have than ability. That is why they drafted him.

12. Slimjim19

Slimjim19 Member

Horrible wording.

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

To make sure I wasn't misunderstood, I am not saying the Kings should not have drafted Evans - personally I think the guy should have been drafted #1 - but I don't see why the Kings would put Evans at the point with Marting as SG. Evans played only half a college season as a PG and even then he had at least one other PG on the floor with him, which isn't uncommon in college basketball. I think he's kind of like Roy, McGrady and Kobe. They can run the point but they also need another PG on the court, and he's only a rookie and shouldn't be thrown out there like that.

Having said that, I think the Wizards are definitely contenders to make the first big trade. I also think the Blazers may be going after another 4 to allow Aldridge to play the 5 since Oden is out for the year.

Does anyone think the Bulls will holdoff on bringing in another SG or wait untill the offseason? Since lossing Gordon, Salmons' shooting % has fallen to 38%. Salmons was a good move due to Deng's injury (and it brought in Miller) and Heinrich was more of a combo guard, but that said he is averaging 14.5 ppg with 38% shooting from the field.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Like I said, the Kings took the best available player at #4 and didn't necessarily worry how they would pair him up. As it turns out with Martin's injury, Evans plays a lot with Beno and Sergio anyway, which allows him freedom. It will be interesting to see how he pairs up with Martin next month after Martin's wrist heals. If they can play together, the Kings could have a dynamic duo. If they can't, Martin is a goner.

I don't think the Wizards are ready to give up on their season yet. It's too early. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they figure it out and finish #5 in the East.

The Bulls need to fire Vinny more than anything else. One of the most moronic hires in recent memory.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Yeah, evans has "it". Cant really measure "it", but he just seem like a guy everyone kinda follows and is a playmaker. Martin is a gifted scorer and can do somethings, but he seems like a guy that wont do it in the moment. Evans has that wade type of game to him in which he's very physical,reckless, and just a straight hoopa rolled into 1. I think beno has gone back to his play 2 yrs ago in which his shot is back and he has some freedom. I really like thompson and even greene is coming around along with the toughness of nocioni. Petri has a good eye for talent still and like you said, he just picked the best player on the board. When you're bad, just take the best player.

16. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

I've been watching Tyreke since the season started, and he reminds me of a mix of Wade and Roy. Martin's injury really gave Reke a chance to take over the team and I'm hoping Martin will accept the role of Robin when he comes back.

17. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Nope, they're a blast to watch. Thompson and Hawes are solid frontcourt pieces too.

18. hanlong

hanlong Member

tyreke evans is definitely legit. he's 6'6" anyways while kevin martin is 6'7", so instead of trying to make them PG and SG, they should pair them up as SG and SF instead. give them a good passing PG and combine that with hawes + thompson and you got a pretty team.

19. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

Thompson, yeah. Hawes...not so much. So far this season anyways. He has been frustrating with his inconsistencies and "softness". He's only 21 though and a lot of potential.

20. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Would Portland be bold (desperate?) enough to trade for Boozer as a one season rental?

Granted, Portland has limited trades assets with so many injured players, so working a viable deal would be tricky.

If not for Boozer, for another of the Utah Bigs and would the Jazz be open to trading with a rival?