1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Trade Rumor: Rip Hamilton for Carlos Boozer

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocketboi, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

http://dimemag.com/2009/07/nba-trade-rumor-rip-hamilton-for-carlos-boozer/

oe Dumars did this once before. He added virtually every vital piece of Detroit’s championship team bit-by-bit through trades and the Draft. In 2000, he acquired Ben Wallace via trade. In ‘02, he added Tayshaun Prince through the Draft and Rip Hamilton by dealing Jerry Stackhouse. In ‘04, Joe D picked up Rasheed Wallace in a trade.

The biggest difference between building that championship-caliber squad and his task this offseason, is that he’s attempting to do all of this in one year.

He laid about $90 million on the line last week, signing both Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva. Now, he’s contemplating a move that could provide some cap relief down the line.

Talks continue between the Pistons and Jazz about a Carlos Boozer-Rip Hamilton trade. Hamilton didn’t fit with Allen Iverson this season, and he won’t fit with newly acquired Ben Gordon.

As Bob Finnan points out, Hamilton wasn’t too fond of playing next to a shoot-happy guard. And as we saw last year, an unhappy Hamilton opened Pandora’s box. Rip has a ton of time and money left on his deal - it’s smart to try to move him before he asks out and his trade value plummets.

The money is also a factor. Carlos Boozer’s deal expires after this season. If Detroit wants to play in the open market of 2010, they’d be smart to move Rip for an expiring contract. Plus, they can test out Boozer for an entire year to see if he works well in their system before going after him with a monster offer. I’m sure the Sixers would have loved to try out this whole Elton Brand experience before actually putting the ink on the page. If it doesn’t work, they’ll have more resources to throw a big deal at Chris Bosh.

It makes a ton of sense for Utah as well. They’d be able to go after Paul Millsap as aggressively as Oklahoma City plans to, while still getting value in exchange for Boozer. Hamilton would get back in a system where he plays with a true point guard.

This is one of those rare situations in which both teams come out on top in a trade.

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I had heard rumblings for months that Boozer was planning on opting out and signing with Detroit. I wonder if they're still a target destination.

Utah only does this if they think Boozer's going to walk out on them.

It also struck me as odd that Detroit was angling for small forwards to put next to Gordon, while Rip and Prince are still on their roster.

Boozer maybe chose to take his option because it was more than he'd get if Detroit split their money between him and Gordon. This may have been a hush deal Dumars suggested as an alternative.

3. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I support any move that makes Utah a lottery team for a couple of more years.

Look I like Rip Hamilton as an efficient shooter but he is role player and the Jazz are trading away their #2 option for an aging spot up shooter. Teams in the West are looking to make moves that put them in contention with the Lakers and Spurs and this move does nothing to change that. So I am happy Utah is blowing up their team in desperation.

4. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

i just dont understand why the rockets dont go for rip?
    i mean we seriously need him.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He is old and can't create his own shot.

6. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Of course, the most important acquisition was getting Chauncey Billups as a free agent in 02...which means he added every vital piece of the championship team by the only ways you can...FA, draft, trade...

damn, hit reply too soon: anyway, i think it makes sense for both teams, a little moreso for detroit than utah...don't know how much sloan would like having to coexist with rip.

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

We seriously don't...

8. Egghead

Egghead Member

Agreed, also the Jazz will never get any big named free agents to come to play in Utah

9. Egghead

Egghead Member

We don't need him plus hes got a deal locked up for 4 more years...

10. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

The sooner people accept the rebuilding the better.

11. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

What's harder to understand is how someone would actually think that the Rockets needed Rip Hamilton.

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

no doubt

so much wailing and gnashing of the teeth over the Rockets moves (or lack thereof). Whining about how we arent going to be able to compete for the championship...

well DUH!!

that is what happens when you are forced to retool/rebuild.

anyone that doesnt recognize that is what is happening with the Rockets this year is delusional or willfully ignorant.

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

That's a solid trade for Detroit if it goes through. Apparently that's where Boozer has wanted to go all along plus they get out of Rip's rather lengthy contract (hmm...sound familiar?)

[​IMG]

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

How the hell does this trade enable the Jazz to go after Millsap more aggressively vis-a-vis the luxury tax??? Rip is scheduled to make only $700k less than Boozer next season AND is locked up for 3 more seasons after that. If anything, this trade would ensure that the Jazz are in luxury tax hell through at least 2011 if they re-sign Millsap, instead of just for one year if they stick with Boozer and let his contract expire in 2010.

This is obviously written by someone who wasn't clearly looking at the deal from both sides.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We needed Rip when we had Yao.

Now, not so much.

DD

16. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Jazzholes prove to be stupid once again. Here's an idea, call the Warriors they could offer you a better package of young talent similar to what they offered for Amare, but I guess that would take more than one brain cell for you to figure out. Oh well nice to see Deron Williams waste his career in that dump of a state. Say hi to Smackton and Me-alone on your way down. :D

17. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

What do you think Golden State would give up? Pretty sure it's less than you think.

Jazz fans were mortified when Boozer opted in to his contract this season; they're tired of him playing no defense at all and just playing like he doesn't care in general. They'd have been ecstatic to let him walk for nothing so they can pay the players they actually want, like Paul Millsap.

And now, they're actually considering trading him for a washed-up guard on a contract that ends in the year 2047. What does that tell you about his market value?

18. SuperHighFly

SuperHighFly Member

That's what I don't get either. I thought they were looking for cap relief. This deal doesn't give them that

19. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Totally agree. Yao would have attracted so much attention that Rip will be able to create his shot. Without that low post presence, Rip would be exposed as a player who is not effective in creating his own shot.

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Maybe they will give milsap 7m per and trade ak-47 for half his salary to a team with cap space. Look at the clipps or minny or some of the other teams with room who may not want to or cant get into 2010 sweeps. What about ak-47 for gadzuric and allen? He's a do it all,defensive guy that skiles would like on a team with a gunner like redd. He could play the 3 or 4 with skiles. Then they could give milsap his money and still be under lt threshold. The jazz have been one of the best drafting and run teams for awhile now.