1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA Today] Working out with Hakeem

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Garner, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Garner

Garner Member

For those of you who do not regularly listen to the NBA Today Podcast with Ryen Russillo, I felt this was worth sharing:

On today's podcast, (fairly early on, after the thunder talk) Russillo offers an interesting perspective on Lebron and other players working out with Hakeem and what that really means. Seeing as every summer we have a thread titled, "Player X works out with Hakeem" or comments to the affect "why don't we just get Hakeem to workout with Thabeet", this seemed relevant.

Russillo goes on to discuss how Hakeem is one of the most underrated NBA players of all time and a 4-week workshop with him will not suddenly grant you his post game. He makes a pretty funny analogy that drives his point home as well. Nothing major, but he shows Hakeem the respect a player of his caliber deserves and what we as clutchfans find ourselves griping about for not hearing enough.

Enjoy: http://search.espn.go.com/nba-today/

Also, if you keep listening, he will get into the Demarcus Cousins' saga.

2. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

He still has the moves that he learned from Hakeem, it's just the fact that he's not using them. Dwight is just now starting to get them because his footwork needed a lot of development to pull off those moves that Hakeem used, and he was still raw on the offensive end.

For Lebron it may not has been as effective, but for someone who uses the post exclusively as Dhoward, it was very effective just did not have an immediate impact because skills needed to be learned. One immediate impact that happened was Dwight's change in attitude. IT was said that Hakeem encouraged him to be himself, but during games to become more focused and less goofy. This would keep his head in the game and see the game differently, improving himself mentally.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it would help LeBron. He should take advantage of his athletic ability in the post.

Don't forget Dream was an athletic freak too.

4. TheRaymond

TheRaymond Member

My Laker friend puts Shaq above Hakeem. I just direct him to the 1995 Finals game tape.

1 person likes this.
  5. AFS

AFS Member

Shaq doesn't even put Shaq above Hakeem...

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Thabeet needs to work a copy of staring strength -mark rippetoe

7. PhiSlammaJamma

I would argue that at least 25% of us had an unstoppable dream shake and

8. PhiSlammaJamma

I would argue that at least 25% of us had an unstoppable dream shake and Fadeaway simply from watching dream. I know I did. So I believe 4 days of training can make a difference. The move can be learned by anyone in my opinion. And it is indeed unstoppable.

9. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

thabeet has already worked with hakeem before he was a rocket

10. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

I agree totally, I'm just pointing out that fact that if he is used in a more perimeter role, it wouldn't really matter what post moves hes learned. It helps Dwight more because he lies exclusively in the post, whereas Lebron thrives on the perimeter.

Once Lebron starts going inside to his post game (Which we may or may not see this season, bc when he posts he just does a fade away jump shot like the podcast says) then that's when he will utilize the skills learned, but at the moment they aren't in effect.

Lebron would be a beast in the post but its whether or not he will use what he learned, its not because he can't

11. Garner

Garner Member

If anything, I would think it would be the exact opposite- It would be more effective for Lebron if he took his post game seriously. Lebron, more than dwight, has the ability to immitate the Dream's footwork, which is what set him apart.

12. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

LeBron has worked with Hakeem.

So has Kobe, Dwight, Yao, Gortat.. list goes on.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

I was watching them play the TWolves and I did see him post up.

14. Garner

Garner Member

...yea, that is kind of the point...

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Hakeem was a great player and is also a great teacher. Anyone who can replicate his post moves even slightly will become a much better player

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I never could get the shake down but the fadeaway and fake turn around shot towards the baseline and then under worked wonders for me.

Hakeem is and always will be my favorite basketball player of all time.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...james-lauds-lessons-learned-from-2028362.html

"Not knowing that the experience was going to be much better, much bigger than basketball," James told reporters. "If you guys ever get an opportunity to meet Hakeem, and sit and talk to him for just two or three minutes, you guys will see why he was so successful and why he is the man he is today. He is unbelievable to be around. So the basketball thing was easy."

James heard stories of Olajuwon's career - the former Rocket was a two-time champion - and life.

"A lot of people don't open up to you," James said. "Sometimes a lot of people are scared to open up to you, and the fact that we were able to open up to one another in that week's time, was great. It was overwhelming. I'm humbled and blessed that he gave me the opportunity to be with him."

18. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Very cool. It's always nice to see that Hakeem (the person) is more impactful than Hakeem (the basketball player).

As Houston sports fans, Hakeem is the epitome of rooting for the good guy

19. tinman

Supporting Member

http://www.nba.com/suns/olajuwon_sunscenters_111205.html

20. heartofachamp34

Want Hakeem's post moves? Hone your football goalkeeping skills first :grin: