1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA PLAYERS: Drafting Versus Developing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

As I see us argue how well the Spurs and Golden State have drafted

I cannot help but wonder . . ..

Do they draft well . .. or do they simple develope their players well?
    Would Kwahi be KWAHI on another team . . . if he was in Philly would he be just another guy.

While personal skills and work ethic matter
    I cannot help but wonder if environment and COACHING matter as much if not more

Do the Rockets simply not have the environment and developmental system in place?
    Some indicate the Rockets give up on players too soon

Why do we develope 2nd rounders better than 1st rounder?

Rocket River

2. ibm

ibm Member

you have to draft well in order to develop the players you pick. so a bit of both.

our 2nd round picks tend to work out a little better,,, i think that's simply because the expectations of the 2nd rounders are lower. mainly it's our perceptions. technically there's no reason why we cant develop the 1st rounders well if we can do to 2nd rounders.

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

We really don't know how well we can develop our first round picks since they are sent away as assets to get other players in a heart beat. Lamb was traded for Harden. A first round pick is just a better asset than a second round so we pick the player we can get the most return out of in a trade. I don't expect Dekker to be here long as well.

4. deshen

deshen Member

Good point. Development is the fundamental for every successful team. That is one of those things this team lack of.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Rockets have done a good job developing its players. Just look how most of fared after leaving.

I'm serious. Not trying to defend Morey here. Trying to defend the coaching staff and the drafted players. It's just not true to say we don't develop our draft picks.

I'm not even going to debate this. I'm just voting. I'm sure others will chime in to debate it.

6. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

The successful teams seems to draft players that fit their team environment and system instead of purely potential like Morey does.

7. kevtse

kevtse Member

Great point! Players learn and improve only when they are given the chance to play. Look at Harrell, he got the potential, plays hard, and he is behind Jones and Smith in rotation. JB finally figure out Jones and Smith suck, so instead of giving Harrel a chance, they sign the MVP of CBA.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

imo, you could not have explained it more in reverse. Most successful teams draft BPA. DMorey, to the point of frustration, seems to make system picks with college seniors, being rather against picking fresh/sophs based on potential, with little data. He makes picks of seniors (and DMo with the pro-experience in Europe), because he has data on them. His theory is hording PFs until one hits big....but missed on Green, others. Also, how exactly is Lamb and Dekker not morey-ball, system picks?

9. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Kawhi drafted in to a great situation

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course we dumped the guy who developed all those players.

Lowry & Dragic both credit McHale with their evolution as players.

We need to draft talent with the right personality. Personality is guys with a hard-working attitude and a team-orientated focus. Guys who want to be the first in the gym and last to leave.

We need to create a system for those players. A lot of that is the head coach. Pop has a system. He gets talented players and then works them into the system. I don't think all his players had the passing and shooting skills the exhibit on the floor. They developed that because that's the system and that's how they were indoctrinated.

Talent + Attitude + System