1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA Outsider] Q&A with NBA Legend Clyde Drexler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Jan 13, 2009.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

article link

I had the opportunity to chat on the phone for a few minutes with former Blazer and Rocket, Clyde "The Glide" Drexler, one of the league's all-time great guards, and whose NBA resume runs deep: a 10-time All-Star, member of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, one of basketball's 50 Greatest Players, and a career 20.4 points per game scorer.

Currently a color commentator for the Houston Rockets, Drexler and I touched on a number of topics this afternoon, including his thoughts on the Rockets' chances in the crowded Western Conference, the MVP debate, and the Redeem Team winning gold in Beijing.

[​IMG]

Q: The Rockets have had to battle through injuries to a number of key players throughout the season, yet they're still nine games over .500. What's been the key to their success?

A: Well I think they've had enough players playing that they can still get the job done. Guys like Luis Scola, who's underrated, Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry, those guys have been consistent along with Yao Ming, in carrying this team. Now, Artest has had some injuries and McGrady has had many injuries, but this team is still fighting for first place. If they can get healthy, with a favorable home schedule in the second half of the season, they can make a legitimate run for the title.

Q: Houston will be hosting the Lakers later this evening, and you'll be there calling the game. Put on your analyst hat for a minute and tell me what it's going to take for the Rockets to beat L.A. without Tracy McGrady and Ron Artest.

A: Well they got to key on Kobe Bryant. You can't let Kobe pick the defense apart, and just get the ball out of his hands. Gasol is usually neutralized by Yao Ming. He will control the paint against Bynum and Gasol. If they can make shots on the outside, because they have to double Yao Ming on the post (the Lakers are not going to let Yao hurt them) they're going to force the Rockets to make perimeter shots. If Von Wafer or Aaron Brooks can make threes, they have a legitimate chance to win this game.

Q: You won a gold medal with the 1992 Dream Team in Barcelona. When you watched the Redeem Team win gold in Beijing, did it invoke any memories from your Olympic playing days?

A: Not at all. I was so proud of the Redeem Team, because they got our reputation back, restored it, showed tremendous character, tremendous skill, and got the gold medal back over a lot of adversity. We could not have been more proud of those guys. Now, the Redeem Team against the original Dream Team? It's men against boys. The '92 team was just too tough (laughs). I may be biased because I was on the '92 team, but I don't think there will ever be a team as good as that team.

Q: I have to get your take on the MVP debate. Who's your choice, and why: Kobe, LeBron, or D-Wade?

A: All three of them are having MVP-type seasons, and you could include Dwight Howard and Chris Paul in the race as well. But for the most part, Kobe has the best record with the Lakers. You have to give it to him so far through the early part of the season, but that doesn't mean it could change. D-Wade or LeBron could have strong surges in the second half of the season and end up winning it. But Bryant, for all he's done over the last 10 years, only has one MVP. I think he could have been the MVP in any of the last 10 years, so maybe he deserves two in a row.

Q: Tell me about your involvement with the Alltel "My Circle Hoops Getaway."

A: It's the Alltel "My Circle Hoops Getaway" presented by Alltel Wireless. This is how it goes: you can check it out online at alltelbasketball.com to enter. If you're lucky enough to win, you get to go to a regular season college or NBA game of your choice on a private jet with 10 of your closest friends. And I may even go just to make sure everything is alright.

Special thanks to Evan Brunell and Alltel Wireless for providing me with this interview opportunity.

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Well the last question isn't forced at all.

3. coolblade587

coolblade587 Member

I think LeBron will win MVP, I mean they have the same record as LA right now and LeBron has been way bigger with stats and his defense. Clyde missed that one.

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    I like how he didn't even answer the question haha