1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA on ESPN/ABC adds Bill Simmons, and Jalen Rose as studio analysts

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SkyrimOwnsAll, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

TNT does it right, one host who plays the straight man and sets up the questions, then just lets the people who have lived the game take it from there.

I always liked Rick Kamla on NBATV, does his homework, always brings enthusiasm even if the game is dull. Sets up the analysts nicely.

SVG would be awesome as an analyst.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Stern [reportedly] nixed Van Gundy-to-ESPN.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't often watch NBA Countdown, but if they add SAS, I will go out of my way to avoid it.

4. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Overheard a few media folk in San Antonio on Tuesday night talking about an eventual shakeup with the cast at the end of the season.

(Also noted, Rick Kamla definitely is not a fan of Bill Simmons. I have a feeling he's not an avid Grantland reader or 30 for 30 viewer:grin:)

What slays me the most is that Magic is terrible. My favourite player of all time but just horrendous on tv. :(

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

Sucks for ESPN that they are being compared to the TNT guys which they have no shot at all against.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Simmons should stay, keep complaining, and try to improve things.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hey ESPN, this Countdown thing isn't working for me! Get me off of here!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Haven't seen my kids in 11 days, feel like a lousy dad today. But hey - happy Fathers Day!</p>&mdash; Bill Simmons (@BillSimmons) <a href="https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/statuses/346281259389042689">June 16, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. mario_v

mario_v Member

I really dislike Magic Johnson as an analyst for espn, it'a like nails on a chalkboard.

Its surprising to me how Magic was brilliant on the hardwood but often struggles to sound articulate.

9. tzou88

tzou88 Member

Also, I feel like Magic will just start talking about the Lakers at any given moment.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think the NBA Countdown show could be improved greatly by adding someone like Scott Van Pelt as the host (ala EJ). He can play it straight, is smart, and can also joke around. I think it starts there.

I like Wilbon and Bill Simmons on there. They offer intelligent takes that sometimes can go against the grain. Sometimes "players" don't like to dog other players when they should be called out.

Magic and Jalen don't do anything for me. But, I think on the TNT set that Kenny and Charles are overrated as well.

Bill Simmons has said this, but one of the big advantages of the TNT setting is they have a FULL 1 hour POSTgame show. EPSN has to go into SportsCenter. Having that "recap show" allows the group room to digest what happened and across the landscape of the NBA. Allows them to show off their chemistry. ESPN should consider allowing THEIR team room to grow in that capacity.

11. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

ESPN should just replace the whole crew. None of them add any insight.

Wilbon is OK as the host, I guess, though I think you can do better (Dan LeBatard?, Ryen Russillo?).

I'd try to add Larry Bird, Scal, some coach who doesn't take himself too seriously but knows what he's talking about (SVG, JVG, Fratello, ...). Perhaps another recently retired player (he hasn't retired yet, but I think Jermaine O'Neal might be good on TV -- he's pretty articulate IIRC).

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Word for word ditto.

13. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Bird would be phenomenal (I say this as one of the biggest Bird haters and Magic lovers growing up). His insight is fantastic but I don't see any money getting him to leave his pad in Florida.

An interesting possibility I would think a new network like Fox Sports 1 should be aiming to get is Dr. J. He would be a solid addition to any networks roster of analysts imo. Dr. J and Grant Hill.

Sucks for ESPN that even if one compared their NBA studio analysts to almost any sport and networks studio analysts, ESPN would still lose.

14. Methom

Methom Member

As I have been watching the playoffs, I feel like Wilbon is not the host anymore. I remember last year he seem more like the host but for some reason this year, they seem to make Jalen the host or is trying to incorporate him as the upcoming host for next year? Wilbon seems a little bothered by looking at his body language and kind of smirks when the other host say something especially Jalen. He just seems a little bitter about something.

Please someone chime in and tell me if you see the same things.

15. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I think the show is fine for what it is. No one is particularly grating and there are way too many options out there for insightful NBA coverage to really care too much about the level of analysis. I can't imagine actually looking to ESPN as source for detailed breakdowns of these games. They have too much other sh-t going on.

16. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd like it if they added Scott Van Pelt or another host figure, then made the crew Wilbon, Jalen and Simmons. Wilbon and Simmons are more insightful, but it's always good to have a player on there and Jalen is decent at times (at least funny)

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

So basically - just have "articulate" guys, and none of the "urban culture" types. On either ESPN or TNT

18. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I don't mind Jalen and Bill that much. I cant stand Wilbon and Magic.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I like Wilbon, but I don't like him posing as an NBA analyst, he's well rounded, but not an NBA expert and it shows.

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Get rid of Magic. The crew's likability would go up tenfold. He offers no insight and only cares about the Lakers, and the superstars of the league. If he's not talking about the Lakers situation, LeBron, or Carmelo, he isn't talking.