1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA on ESPN/ABC adds Bill Simmons, and Jalen Rose as studio analysts

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SkyrimOwnsAll, Oct 19, 2012.

1. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Ten years after Kevin Frazier and Tim Hardaway anchored the inaugural edition of “NBA Shootaround” on ESPN, the network has made yet another change to its NBA studio team.

ESPN.com blogger Bill Simmons and ESPN NBA analyst Jalen Rose have been added to the cast of “NBA Countdown” on ESPN and ABC for the 2012-13 season, ESPN announced Thursday.

Simmons and Rose will replace Chris Broussard and Jon Barry, respectively, on the studio show. Earvin Johnson and Michael Wilbon will continue in their current roles.
    The addition of Simmons was initially reported by The Big Lead nearly two months ago.

The ESPN NBA studio show has been in a near-constant state of flux since the network began airing NBA coverage ten years ago. The latest moves are a clear — and some would say desperate — attempt to narrow the gap with Turner Sports’ “Inside the NBA” studio show.

While ESPN has turned to more than a dozen hosts and analysts for studio coverage over the past decade — a list including the likes of Scottie Pippen, Greg Anthony, Fred Hickman and Dan Patrick, just to name a few — the Emmy Award winning TNT studio team has been a paragon of consistency by comparison.

Even after the addition of Shaquille O’Neal, the TNT team of Ernie Johnson Jr., Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley remains the gold standard of NBA studio coverage.

(Thursday’s news from ESPN Media Zone; additional information from The Big Lead)

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If you guys don't know Jalen has a podcast he does for Grantland and its great!

He's pretty funny

3. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Every time I see Simmons on TV or video he seems awkward. Don't see this working out too well. Thought Jon Barry was one of their better analysts and keeping Magic only hurts them.

4. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

ESPN will always have the better commentators, but TNT has the right studio crew even though they're not that good. Everybody on ESPN in the studio, except for Barry who was okay, thinks what they say is gold (Shaq would fit in!) and they make the most outrageous and ridiculous comments that are never funny nor informative. Broussard was horrible but so is Jalen Rose, so full of himself, ughh..letting go of Barry is stupid but you can't have it all ;)

5. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

wouldnt be shocked if Jon Barry joined his brother on NBATV in a little while

6. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I agree. I love Simmons' columns, but him on tv just doesn't seem too great. He always tries to make terrible jokes

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He has the face and the voice for print media.

8. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

Too bad the Glorious Leader lowered the banhammer on SVG. He would have been entertaining. Perhaps SVG should have learned how to beg for his life from his brother.

9. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Got to give the people

Give the people what they waaaaant

10. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

I second this. Almost everything on Grantland is great. Here's a clip from the most recent BS Report where they discuss their new jobs.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lKSw5yLWiew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Link for the full podcast can be found here: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=2864045

11. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

There is so much comedy potential in Bill Simmons' voice though, I absolutely love the impressions the Jimmy Kimmel Crew does of him.

Whose impression is the best?

Cousin Sal:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QgLHzBPmnrc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dameshek:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r22t52OJQ5Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Adam Carolla (NSFW), @3:45
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xVXDf1IjTHE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I vote for Sal by a nose over Dameshek

12. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Cleverly disguised "into guys" post....

13. ashiin

ashiin Member

Just purely based off of the Fab Five documentary and nothing else, Jalen Rose came out as a clear headed guy with the right mindset. I would love to see how he does.

14. VBG

VBG Member

I like Jalen Rose. He seems honest which is what matters. And he has good experience as well.

Simmons will probably get better as he gets more TV live time exposure.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/57H5txIAhrY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iNysttZTx7k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xH81-T_Uvss" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. FanOnGessner

FanOnGessner Member

Bill Simmons is probably the guy I dislike the MOST out of anyone Espn affiliated.

1 person likes this.
  18. VBG

VBG Member

Why? I like how he doesn't pretend to not be biased. I feel like he's actually honest.

19. 713

713 Member

Bill Simmons is smexy